Subject: SW25 Georgia Brochure
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 94 00:12:04 EST

Here is the text from a brochure produced by Stonewall 25 Georgia. You
may find it usefull for your own area. Please check with the NY Stonewall
office for updated info.-- Hubert Alexander ([email-masked])

STONEWALL 25 - G E O R G I A
International March on the United Nations to Affirm the Human Rights of
Lesbian and Gay People

"...recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable
rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom,
justice and peace in the world,"
(Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

June 26, 1994 - New York City

Atlanta Lesbian and Gay Pride 1994, June 6 - 12, 1994 - Atlanta, Georgia

Gay Games IV / Team Atlanta, June 18 - 25, 1994 - New York City

YOU CAN MAKE STONEWALL 25 A SUCCESS
   BE THERE! TELL YOUR FRIENDS! Many thousands of people from countries
around the world are making the Stonewall 25 International March happen.
Much has already been done, but much remains, and we need your help. This
is a grassroots effort. Local organizing committees, forming in the U.S.
and around the world, need people to work on fundraising, outreach,
media, and travel arrangements. We also need the participation of our
community organizations, religious and social groups, and bars and clubs
to help with all of these tasks.

 TO ALL SEGMENTS OF OUR COMMUNITY
   The entire spectrum of lesbian and gay people worldwide will be
involved. People from around the globe will be marching for their rights,
regardless of nationality or race. The ultimate success of Stonewall 25
will be measured by the degree to which our organizing efforts reflect
the diversity of our communities.
   People of color are playing a key role in organizing this event. Those
of us who engage in the many varieties of personal expression that
characterize our community, including drag/transgender people,
bisexuals, and leather people will be part of the kaleidoscopic nature of
Stonewall 25. The experience of seniors and the energy of youth will
provide dynamism. The insight of people who are physically challenged and
people with HIV/AIDS are important. Stonewall 25 will do everything
possible to make it easy for all to take part, from insuring wheelchair
accessibility to facilitating obtaining visas for people with HIV/AIDS.
All parts of our community will be on hand in pride and in protest.

INFORMATION
Stonewall 25/Georgia:
P.O. Box 5282  Atlanta, GA 30307
 404/662-7535

Georgia travel and accomodations:
Conventional Travel
404/315-0107 or 800/747-7107

National travel and accommodations:
800/216 1880

Merchandise orders:
Proud Enterprises  800/IS PROUD

Stonewall 25 International Office:
208 West 13th Street, New York, NY 10011-7799
212/626 6925 Fax: 212/626 6965

For information electronically: 
Backroom BBS
(by modem) 718/951 8256
LOGIN: First name=SW25, Last=INFO
For Global Calendar Information:
(Voice) 718/951 8998

Atlanta Lesbian and Gay Pride Committee404/662-4533
P.O.Box 54024, Atlanta, GA 30308-0024

THE HISTORY OF THE STONEWALL REBELLION
   Early in the morning of June 27, 1969, New York City police and
Alcoholic Beverage Control Board agents made a routine raid on a gay bar,
The Stonewall Inn, on Christopher Street. Allegedly there to look for
violations of the alcohol control laws, they made the usual homophobic
comments and then, after checking identification, threw the customers
out of the bar, one by one.

   Instead of quietly slipping into the night, as gay men and lesbians
had done for years, they remained on the scene. The rising commotion drew
more people to the area. Drag queens and drag kings, many of whom were
African American and Latino/a, hustlers, students and other people on the
street held their ground against the police and, in fact, fought back.

   A parking meter was uprooted and used it to barricade the door. The
agents and police were trapped inside. They wrecked the bar and called in
reinforcements. Their vehicles raced to the scene with lights glaring and
sirens blaring. The crowd grew further. A fire was set. More people came.
For three days, people protested. And for the first time, after
innumerable years of oppression, the  chant rang out, Gay Power!

In commemorating the Stonewall Riots of 1969, the event that sparked the
modern Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Rights movement, we are
calling upon the nations and peoples of the world to affirm the dignity,
legitimacy and human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered
people without distinction of any kind. 

These basic human rights and freedoms shall not be denied to us,
regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification,
religion, ethnicity, language, age, disability, socio-economic status,
national or social origin, HIV/AIDS or health status, marital status or
political opinion.

MARCH DEMANDS
 We call upon the United Nations, its agencies, its member states and its
affiliated non-governmental organizations to take all necessary action
to assure that:
   1.   The promises of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights not be
        denied for lesbian, gay, bisexual, drag or transgender people;
   2.   The rights and freedoms of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights
        be fulfilled to all people, including lesbian, gay, bisexual,  drag
and
        transgender people, without distinction of any kind, such as race,
        gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, language, age,
        disability, socio-economic status, national or social origin, and
gender
        identification;
   3.   The agencies of the UN and non-governmental organizations
        affiliated with the UN undertake to report on violations of the
Universal
        Declaration of Human Rights affecting lesbian, gay, bisexual,  drag
and
        transgender people;
   4.   The promises of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights not be
        denied to people who have AIDS or are HIV positive;
   5.   The promises of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights with
        regard to the right to health care not be denied to people with
HIV/AIDS,
        nor to lesbian, gay, and bisexual people, including those who desire
to
        engage in reproduction;
   6.   The global effort to combat HIV/AIDS be intensified;
   7.   The member states of the UN adopt a protocol to the Convention on the
        Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide to define as a
crime
        of genocide the intended destruction of any of the targets of the
        Holocaust, including lesbian, gay and bisexual people, and the
        intentional destruction of any population group based on that group's
        race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, language, age,
        disability, socio-economic status, national or social origin, and
gender
        identification;
   8.   The agencies of the UN not deny non-governmental organizations
        recognition or consultative status on the basis of their support for
        lesbian, gay, bisexual,  drag and transgender people, or people who
have
        AIDS or are HIV positive;
   9.   The General Assembly of the UN proclaim an International Year of
        Lesbian and Gay People (possibly 1999);
   10.  The UN and its agencies not discriminate against lesbian, gay,
        bisexual,  drag and transgender people in matters of contracting,
hiring,
        employment conditions and termination;
   11.  The member states increase the funding of the human rights agencies
        of the UN to accelerate the progress toward realizing the promises of
the
        Universal Declaration of Human Rights;
   12.  The right of lesbian, gay, bisexual,  drag and transgender people
        to create families be recognized and protected, and that our family
        relationships with each other and our children be celebrated in 1994,
The
        International Year of the Family.

We call upon the United Nations and the people of the world to join us in
affirming the dignity and legitimacy of lesbian, gay and bisexual people
as participants in the rich mosaic that constitutes the diversity of the
human family.