From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 May 94 23:25:57 EDT

Resources and Services for People with HIV/AIDS offered during New York
EventsMay 25, 1994

                Stonewall 25 HIV/AIDS Advisory Committee
               Gay Games IV/Unity '94 HIV/AIDS Task Force
                International Lesbian and Gay Association

     Enclosed here is basic information about the events taking place in New
York in June as well
as pertinent information for people with HIV/AIDS. Please make copies of this
information and
distribute as needed.

                           DATES OF MAJOR EVENTS

    Gay Games IV / Unity '94 and Cultural Festival

          Saturday June 18 through Saturday June 25, 1994 212/633-9494 -
Outreach
          Coordinator - George Bellinger, Jr., HIV/AIDS Task Force Chair -
Ann Northrop

    Stonewall 25: The International March on the United Nation to Affirm the
     Human Rights of Lesbian and Gay People

          Sunday June 26, 1994 - 212/626-6925, (Note: The International March
takes the
          place of the New York's traditional Lesbian and Gay Pride March)
 Domestic Outreach
          Coordinator - Paij Wadley-Bailey, HIV/AIDS Advisory Committee -
Hubert Alexander,
          Todd Grove

    ILGA - The International Lesbian and Gay Association World Conference

          Friday June 25 through Sunday July 3, 1994 212/620-7310 - Day-long
Pre
          Conference Institutes and the 15th Annual World Conference of the
International Lesbian
          and Gay Association  - Co-Chair - Rina Malonzo

     These three events serve as the cornerstones for many other lesbian,
gay, bisexual and
transgender events and conferences -- all happening during June and July 1994
in New York.
Stonewall 25 is maintaining a Global Calendar of events.

GAY GAMES IV/UNITY '94
     Gay Games IV is an athletic event and cultural festival open to all. The
theme and spirit is
Unity, and the participants are encouraged to achieve their personal best.
During June 18 to 25,
1994, Gay Games IV and Cultural Festival ("Unity '94") expects a record
15,000 athletes and
thousands of artists from over 40 countries, and an unprecedented 500,000
spectators.

     For more information contact Gay Games IV, 19 West 21st Street, Suite
1202, New York,
NY 10010, 212/727-6046 or 212/633-9494, fax: 212/633-9488.

ILGA WORLD CONFERENCE
     The International Lesbian and Gay Association (ILGA) is a worldwide
federation of national
and local organizations dedicated to achieving lesbian and gay rights around
the globe with over
300 member groups representing over 60 countries. The 16th Annual ILGA World
Conference
will take place in New York City this June. For the first time, the ILGA
Conference will offer four
day long pre conferences: Disabled People's, Women's, People of Color and
Diversity Awareness.
In addition, the conference will tracks on HIV/AIDS and Health, Women, Labor,
World Regions,
Bisexuality, Youth and more.

     For more information, contact ILGA, c/o The Lesbian and Gay Community
Services Center,
208 West 13th Street, New York City, NY 10011, 212/620-7310, fax:
212/924-2657.

STONEWALL 25
               The International March on the United Nations
           to Affirm the Human Rights of Lesbian and Gay People

     "...recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable
rights of all
members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace
in the
world,"
                    (Preamble to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights)

     The Stonewall Rebellion is the event credited with igniting today's
Lesbian, Gay Bisexual and
Transgender Human Rights Movement. On Sunday, June 26, 1994 over one million
 people will
march on the United Nations commemorating this historic event. Stonewall 25:
the
International March on the United Nations to Affirm the Human Rights of
Lesbian and
Gay People promises to be the largest March and Rally for human rights in
history. Participants
are expected from over 80 countries.

     The events being planned include: Saturday, June 25, 1994 -
Commemoration of the
Stonewall Rebellion, Sunday, June 26, 1994 - The March on the United Nations
and Rally 
in Central Park, (Note: The International March takes the place of the New
York's traditional
Lesbian and Gay Pride March),Thursday, June 23, 1994 through Tuesday, June
28, 1994 -
Actions and Lobbying. 

     There will also be an international grouping of People with AIDS in the
March with
transportation provided for those who need it. At the Rally in Central Park
there will be an Access
area in front of the stage.

     For more information, to offer services or to be a part of the lobbying
efforts, contact
Stonewall 25, P. O. Box 2038, New York, NY 10113,  212/626-6925, fax:
212/626-6965.

STONEWALL 25 & GAY GAMES IV - HIV/AIDS RESOURCES AND SERVICES
Resource Guide for New York City and surrounding areas
     The HIV/AIDS committees are preparing an insert for the Summer edition
of the People with
AIDS Coalition / New York (PWAC/NY) Resource Guide. The guide will be
available
throughout New York City. To obtain a copy`in advance, contact the Stonewall
25 office at 212-
626-6925.

Resource/Hospitality  Center (PWA Central)
     There will be a Resource Hospitality Center in Greenwich Village. The
space will be hosted by
PWAC/NY and Body Positive.

Non Emergency Medical Center
     Community Health Project (CHP) located in the Center will be having
extended clinic hours. 
CHP is located in the Center at 208 West 13th Street, New York, NY.
212/675-3559 (Note: CHP
is not wheel-chair accessible.)

Emergency Medical Care information
     Emergency care and clinic hours will be available at Saint Vincent's
Hospital on 7th Avenue
and 12th Street. The hospital will also be available to fill prescriptions.

Medications & Supplies Sources and Replacement
     Medications can be mailed to CHP, 208 West 13th Street, New York, NY,
212/675-3559,
PWAC/NY, 50 West 17th Street, 8th floor, New York, NY 10011, 212/647-1415,
  or PWA
Health Group, at 150 W. 26th Street, Room 201, New York, NY 10001,
212/255-0520.

Hotlines
     PWAC/NY will be offering expanded hotline hours from June 17 to July 3,
1994. The
expanded hours are 8:00 am to 12 midnight. (There will be a recording of
pertinent information
during off hours.) Call 212/647-1420 or 800-828-3280.

     The Gay Men's Health Crisis (GMHC) hotline number is 212/807-6655 and
operates 10:00
am to 6:00 pm with Spanish speaking volunteers available.

Scholarship Program
     Contact George Bellinger, Jr. at the Gay Games IV Office, 212-727-6046
or Kari Points at
the Stonewall 25 Host Committee office 212-741-0132.

Legal Services for International Travel
     Usually, United States law says that persons with HIV or AIDS and
persons who are so poor
they are likely to try to stay in the U.S., may not enter the U.S. The I.N.S
has made an
exception to the "HIV exclusion" rule by providing a waiver for people
travelling to the
U.S. for Gay Games. People traveling to the U.S. may apply for the waiver at
the consulate of
their country. Each person will be asked to show proof of intent to attend
the Gay Games in
New York between June 17 and 25, and prove that his or her visit is for ten
days or less.
Proof of this could include Gay Games tickets, round trip airline tickets,
Gay Games brochures,
and the statements that are made. 

     A legal team from the Lesbian, Gay Bisexual Rights Committee of the
National Lawyers Guild
has been formed to assist entry into the U.S. The Committee is also
organizing criminal defense
attorneys for Stonewall 25 direct action activities. Contact Karen Moulding,
NLG Lesbian,
Gay, Bisexual Rights Committee, 718-797-4441. Immigration and criminal
defense attorneys
will be on call  throughout the month of June.

     For general advice, emergencies and referrals, contact:
          Bob Hilliard, 212-337-1944, Ignatius Bau, 415-543-9444, ext 213,
NLG Lesbian, Gay,
          Bisexual Rights Committee, 718-797-4441, NLG Immigration Project,
617-227-9727,
          fax: 617-227-5495

Event Access/Admission Information 
     A limited number of complimentary tickets are available for Gay Games IV
and Stonewall 25
events. Call each office for details. Additional tickets will be available
through a group of
HIV/AIDS organizations. Call Jeff Haskins at the Minority AIDS Task Force at
212/534-8340 
for details.  (Note: Many events in New York during this period are sponsored
by independent
organizations. Contact these organizations for ticket and access
information.)

     Check with Gay Games IV and Stonewall 25 for the accessibility of each
venue.

NEW YORK CITY
Getting there:
     Air - NYC is served by three airports: John F. Kennedy International
(Queens), LaGuardia
(Queens) and Newark International (Newark, NJ). If you arrive in Newark,
express buses are
available that stop at the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd Street & 8th
Avenue. The fare is
$7 one-way and $12 round-trip. JFK and LaGuardia  are served by Carey Buses.
Call 212/564-
8484 for bus information. (Note: If anyone except a red cap offers to help
with, REFUSE!

     Train - Amtrak and Long Island Railroad run in and out of Pennsylvania
Station, which is
located between 7th and 8th Avenues and 31st and 32nd Streets  Metro North
runs in and out of
Grand Central Station which is on 42nd Avenue at Lexington.

     Bus - All Greyhound buses pull in and out of the Port Authority Bus
Terminal at 42nd Street
& 8th Avenue.

Where to stay:
     Hotel rooms are still available through STB Travel at 800-216-1880 and
Pride Tours at 800-
368-8412. (New York prices are steep. Room rates start at $132 per night, but
you can be better
deals by shopping around. Plan ahead!)

Getting around:
     Streets - While in New York, remember to distinguish between "Streets"
and "Avenues."
Streets run East and West. Avenues run North and South. The street numbers
get higher as you
move uptown or north. East and West  streets are separated by 5th Avenue.
Street numbers
increase as you move away from 5th Avenue.

     Taxis - For the ride of a lifetime, be sure to take a ride in on of New
York's famous and
plentiful taxi cabs. Taxi fare is $1.50 for a pick up and 25 for each
additional four blocks or 75
seconds of standing time. Tips are expected (the average tip is about 20% of
the total cost).
Additional costs may include a $0.50 per fare surcharge between the hours of
8:00 pm and 6:00
am and/or a $0.50 per suitcase charge. There is additional charge of 50
(NOTE: The taxi fare
shown is the entire fare. There are no additional charges for extra
passengers.) Taxis are not
required to accept more than four passengers.

     To catch a taxi, stand on any curb and wave your arm at a yellow cab.
For your safety, only
take yellow cabs!

     Subways - The New York City subway system is open 24 hours a day. All
rides of any length
are $1.25. Buy tokens ahead of time and in bulk (there is no discount for
bulk purchases). In
Manhattan, check station sign for "Uptown" or "Downtown" before entering the
station. Be alert,
aware and watch your belongings. As in any major city, try and not travel
alone late at night.
Discount rates are available for senior citizens and the physically
challenged. Very few stations are
accessible to wheelchairs and those few are not well maintained. The bus
system is a better
alternative for wheel chair travel. The transit system has a dedicated phone
line for accessible
service at 718/596-8585 from 6:00 am to 9:00 pm daily. For up-to-date status
of elevator and
escalator operation call the 24 hour Accessibility Hotline as 800/734-6772.

     Buses - $1.25 in change or a token. Buses are slower, but safer than
subways. All Manhattan
buses are wheel-chair accessible. 80% to 90% of the buses in the other four
boroughs. For New
York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) travel information call 718/330-1234
(6:00 am to 9:00
pm). For Non-English speaking customers call 718/330-4847 (7:00 am to 7:00
pm).

Medication
     What to bring: Be sure to carry the medications what you usually take in
more than
sufficient quantity for the trip.

     Sending ahead:
          PWAC/NY - People with AIDS Coalition/New York, 50 West 17th Street,
8th floor, New
               York, NY 10011, 212/647-1415
          CHP - Community Health Project, 208 West 13th Street, New York, NY,
212/675-3559
          PWA Health Group, 150 W. 26th Street, Room 201, New York, NY 10001,
212/255-
               0520.

     Sporting Events, Marches and Rallies  

     PWAs and People with Disabilities who are planning to attend Gay Games
sporting events,
participate in the Stonewall 25 March on the United Nations and the Rally
should plan to bring
the following supplies:
     - Bottle of drinking water
     - Food
     - Hearing aid batteries (if needed)
     - Medication (clearly marked with note stating time to take it)
     - Sunglasses
     - Sunscreen
     - Toilet Paper
     - Jacket or sweater, warm pants, socks, gloves and hat
     - Washcloth in a sealed plastic bag
     - Hats and umbrellas (bonnets and parasols)
     - Quarters

RELATED EVENTS

The Rainbow Roll for the End of AIDS, April 29 through June 17, 1994.
Homecoming Rally
     June 17 at Hotel Pennsylvania at 7th Avenue and 32nd Street -
212/592-3683. The Rainbow
     Roll is a national AIDS awareness and fundraising campaign which
involves a cross country
     in-line skating relay from San Francisco to New York. AIDS organizations
are invited to set
     up tables at this event and distribute AIDS prevention and education
literature and materials.

16th Annual National Lesbian and Gay Health Foundation Conference & 12th
HIV/AIDS
     Forum, June 21-25, 1994 at the Roosevelt Hotel, Madison & 45th -
202/994-4285

Daily Eucharists (Holy Communion) - The National AIDS Memorial at the
Cathedral of St.
     John the Divine at 112th and Amsterdam Ave is planning to celebrate
Daily Eucharists at St.
     Luke's Bay during the week prior to Stonewall 25. The week will
culminate with an
     Ecumenical Service of Pride held at the Cathedral on Saturday, June 25,
1994 at 11:00 am.

Reception & Tribute to Native American, Alaskan Native, Asian & Pacific
Islander and the 25th
     Anniversary of the Stonewall Uprising. Sponsored by American Indian
Community House
     HIV/AIDS Project & API Coalition on HIV/AIDS, June 25, 1994  6:00 pm to
8:00 pm at 404
     Lafayette Street, 212/598-0100.

"We Remember," the pink Ribbons of Remembrance are available for a donation
benefiting the
     People with AIDS Coalition of New York. The ribbons will be worn by many
marchers during
     Stonewall 25. Each contains a space for the name of a loved one lost to
AIDS, cancer,
     violence or other cause. Contact David Pais at PWAC/NY for more
information at 212/647-
     1415.

"Fighting for Our Lives" - Friday June 24, 1994 at 6:30 pm. 10th Annual AIDS
Candlelight
     Vigil, an Interfaith Celebration of Remembrance and the Rededication of
the AIDS Memorial
     in Greenwich Village.  Starts at Sheridan Square (7th Avenue at
Christopher Street), proceeds
     down Christopher Street to Greenwich Street. Balloons/Candles for $1.00
donation.
     Sponsored by Christopher Street Festival Committee, 92-16 Whitney
Avenue, Suite 210,
     Elmhurst, New York 11373-2281, 718/565-6789. 

This bulletin sponsored by Life Entitlements, Suite 5270, Four World Trade
Center, New York,
NY 10048, 800-420-1420.