Subject: Gender, Sexuality and Law Conference
From: "C.F. Stychin" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 09:39:42 +0100 (BST)

GENDER, SEXUALITY, AND LAW CONFERENCE

"REFLECTIONS; NEW DIRECTIONS"

19-21 JUNE 1998

The Keele University Research Investment Scheme has announced funding for a
major international, interdisciplinary conference to be held at Keele,
United Kingdom, from 19-21 June 1998. Confirmed plenary speakers are:
Jacqueline Alexander; Susan Boyd; Angela Harris; Ratna Kapur; Ruthann
Robson; Carol Smart; and Jeffrey Weeks. Among the themes to be addressed and
developed are: globalisation and the postcolonial condition; citizenship and
rights discourse; medicalisation of the legal subject; revisiting consent;
AIDS/HIV; the body and the sexual subject of law; bridging the
theory/activist divide; law, literature, and film;
femininities/masculinities; transgendered subjectivities; legal education
and the "straight" subjects; connections between legal discourse and
identity politics; international law; right wing movements; children and
sexuality; race, religion, and ethnicity; violence; law and psychoanalysis;
and poverty and capitalism. Theoretically informed papers are welcome on any
related topic. Offers of papers (one page abstracts) should be received by
the Gender, Sexuality and Law Research Group (GSL) (organisers of the
Conference) by 31 December 1997. Further information and registration forms
are available from: GSL Conference, Department of Law, Keele University,
Staffordshire ST5 5BG, United Kingdom. Tel: 01782-583218; Fax: 01782-583228;
email: < [email-masked] >; web page: < www.keele.ac.uk/depts/la/GSL98.htm
>. The members of the GSL are: Doris Buss; Kathy de Gama; Didi Herman;
Daniel Monk; Sally Sheldon; Carl Stychin; Michael Thomson; and Noel Whitty.

*** PLEASE FEEL FREE TO FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO ANYONE WHO MIGHT BE
INTERESTED ***.