Subject: Important: G/L/B/T youth conference
From: [email-masked]
Date: 25 Feb 1995 02:12:13 GMT

Important conference information:

Children of the Shadows II: Celebrating Gay, Lesbian, Bisexua and
Transgendered Youth, will take place at the UCONN School of Social Work, 1799
Asylum Avenue, West Hartford, CT, 8 am to 4:30 pm, March 24th & 25th, with a
concert on Friday (7:30-10:30, $10 w/o regis, $6 w/regis) featuring: Ben
Silver, NYC singer-songwriter, Yagottawanna, all-female acapella trio, Cyd
Slotoroff with Bobbi Blake, original music w/eclectic style, Pioneer Valley
Gay Men's Chorus, a "family" favorite, and Paul Hall, African-American
contemporary Dance Theater.

>From promotional flyer:

Are you?
A Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, or Transgendered Youth?
A Youth questioning your own sexuality?
A friend of someone who is?

Are you?
A Social Worker?
An Educator?
A Mental Health Care Provider?

Are You
A parent of a GLBT youth?
A friend or ally?
A brother or sister?

If you are a LGBT youth
Advocating for systemic change and equity
Strategising for broad-based solutions
Building leadership among LGBT youth and their allies
Curriculum and direct practice issues
Celebration and networking

PLUS:  Friday Night Concert
           Free Saturday Night Teen Dance

Call for more information:
(203)344-1777   (203) 374-5979  (203)536-0012

Workshops focusing on :
EDUCATION: Workshops in this category will range from basic information on
humna sexuality, orientation, HIV/AIDS and gender issues to more advanced and
specific topics.  Some examples include: "Gay or Transgender 101"; ways to
create support systems for teens and/or families within schools, agencies or
on campus; curriculum issues; etc.  Presenters will include: Joyce Hunter,
co-founder of the Harvey Milk School; the Connecticut Outreach Society; Al
Ferriera (founder of Project Ten East); Warren Blumenfeld (Author); Jim
Klopfer (ED_FLAG); members of PFLAG; Dan Woog, co-founder of Staples High
School Gay/Straight Alliance.

ADVOCACY:  From the personal to the political, these workshops on srategies
for change such as model policies in action, organizing youth for
empowerment, taking the "next steps" from advocacy, etc. Presenters include:
Karen Harbeck, PhD, JD, author; Melody Peat, Chief Operating Officer of
Administrative Services, Dept. of Mental Health; Stonewall Speaker's Assn.;
Tom Buch, Trainer for the Dept. of Children and Families; Ct Coalition for
Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights.

CELEBRATION:  This is a very open-ended category which will focus on the
strengths that GBT youth bring to themselves and their environments, and will
include topics such as networking with other people, make-overs for
alternative gender presentation, finding "friendly" work or college
environments, body image, spirituality, and writing or journaling as forms of
self-expression; trans-generational perspectives on coming out; etc.
 Presenters include: The House of Pleasure; Jayne Keedle, Associate Editor
for the Hartford Advocate; Bill Mann, editor of Metroline.

REGISTRATION

PLEASE RETURN REGISTRATION TO:
MARTIN BUSH
112 WADHAMS ROAD, BLOOMFIELD, CT 06002
(Make checks payable to: Children from the Shadows)

Suggested donations:
Youth   $15 one day; $20 both days
Family  $20 per member one day; $25 per member both days
All other registrations  $45 one day; $70 both days
(Early registration date has passed)  Youth rate under 22 yrs and/or full
time students.  Check-in begins at 8 a.m.; conference begins at 9 a.m.  NOTE:
WORK EXCHANGES AND/OR SCHOLARSHIPS ARE ACAILABLE.  CALL (203) 344-1777.

REGISTRATION FORM

NAME:__________________________ # attending______
ADDRESS:_______________________________________
CITY:___________________ STATE:_____ ZIP CODE:_____
ORGANIZATION:___________________________________
PHONE:__________________________________________

Please check:
I will be attending: ____Fri. only ____ Sat. only ___ both days
I need housing for:  ____Fri. only ____ Sat. only ___ both days
I can provide hosuing: ___Fri. only ____Sat. only ___ both days
I need a ride for:    _____Fri. only  ____Sat. only ___both days
I can provide a ride for:___Fri. only ___Sat. only ___both days
*Housing and transportation not guaranteed, although every effort will be
made to accomodate your needs.

I WILL ATTEND THE CONCERT FRIDAY NIGHT (cost $6 each)
     number of concert attendees: _______
I WILL BE REQUESTING CEU CREDITS: (.5 credits each day)
      Yes ______  Social Security Number:___-___-____

Co-Sponsors include: UCONN School of Social Work; SNET; MD Health; Dept of
Children and Families; Dept. of Education; Dept. of Public Health and
Addiction Services; Elmcrest Hospital; Ct Education Assn; Ct Federation of
Teachers; Project 100, Inc.; Stonewall Speaker's Assn.; Hartford Gay and
Lesbian Health Collective; Ed-FLAG; Ct Coalition for Lesbian and Civil
Rights; SIECCONN; Free Association; PFLAG; Ct Assn. of Youth Services; UCONN
Women's Center; Natchaug Hospital; Yale Psychiatric Institue; Gay men's
Network; Urban League of Greater Hartford; Hartford Hispanic Heath Council;
The Center; and others. 

-- 
------------soc.support.youth.gay-lesbian-bi info-------------- 
To submit articles, post normally or mail to [email-masked].
To contact the moderators, mail to [email-masked]
Web page: http://www.willamette.edu/~jpatters/infogayyouth.html