From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 94 17:50:57 EDT

STONEWALL 25 RALLY AND MARCH 
REPORT AND FINANCIAL PICTURE

July 5, 1994.  New York City.  

          Human Rights Event Honors Past and Defines Future

On Sunday June 26, 1994 the global lesbian, gay, bisexual, drag and
transgender community marched on the United Nations for Human Rights.  The
March, led by a massive motorcycle contingent, the Stadtlanders Mile-Long
Rainbow Flag, the Stonewall Veterans and those from the Gay Activist Alliance
and the Gay Liberation Front, continued for over six hours filling the
streets with a sea of humanity.  Flags from a multitude of nations showed
just how far the gay and lesbian movement has come in the past twenty-five
years.  "We have gone from a street riot involving hundreds into a global
movement of millions in just twenty-five years.  It is quite powerful,"
stated Co-Chair Fry.

The march proceeded to the Rally on the Great Lawn in Central Park, at which
performers, speakers and entertainers provided glimpses into the drag, gay,
lesbian, bisexual transgender and HIV positive experiences from the world
over.  Speakers included AIDS activist Simon Nkoli, from South Africa,
Rebecca Sevilla from Peru, Anjana "Tang" Suvarananda from Thailand,
Transgender activist Aidy Griffin from New Zealand, and European Parliament
Member Claudia Roth form Germany. Those from the United States included
actress Amanda Bearse, Nebraskan Neva Cozine, and activist Ann Northrop.
  Speakers represented the full gamut of our struggle as women with AIDS and
parents to leather activists and British Labor Leaders.  One of the most
spirited moments came when the entire audience greeted the assembled
Stonewall Veterans with cheers of "Thank you!  Thank you."  "We have shown
the world the important role that drag queens and kings played in our history
and continue to play in our day to day experiences," hailed Nicole
Ramirez-Murray, National Co-Chair.  Feature performances included Liza
Minnelli and Jimmy Somerville with appearances by Judith Light, Carol
Channing, Gregory Hines and Kathy Najimy.  "The euphoria and awe continued to
build over the day as we surprised ourselves over and over with just how many
closet doors had been opened around the world in the past 25 years, from
Croatia to Cyprus," boasted Fry.

At three o'clock the entire Rally and March came to a halt as all
assembled stopped, stood and remembered in silence those who have been lost
to AIDS and violence.  This was followed by a moment of rage as the crowd
screamed in anger and defiance.

Stonewall 25 events also included the direct action "Out Around the
World."  On Monday June 27 over 200 activists focussed on the Human Rights
conditions at the UN Missions of South Africa, Japan, England, Brazil, Russia
and the United States.  At the US mission emphasis was put on the ban on
travel by those with HIV.

Additional lobbying occurred as individuals from over 40 countries met their
United Nations representatives.  After the meetings, briefings were held to
ascertain what promises and discussion took place. Follow-ups will take place
with the Global AIDS Action Network, the International Lesbian and Gay
Association, and the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission.
 All together, there were over 30 national and international conferences that
took place in the New York Area over the last two weeks.

"Stonewall 25 brought more of our grass-roots organizers from around
the globe to one city at one time with the purpose of planning our
future than ever before.  We gathered to fight the right, to fight for
AIDS services, to fight for a cure and to fight for our freedom of
expression,"  declared Co-Chair, Pat Norman.

Stonewall 25 received the first of its financial reports today.  Preliminary
findings show that organizers are in need of over $300,000 to pay off the
bills from the historic event.  "While the March on the United Nations and
Rally in Central Park were successful in drawing individuals and
organizations from
seventy-two nations and all fifty states, the reality is money.  We
are a grass-roots organization and still need the community's
support," stated National Co-Chair, Franklin Fry.  Total expenses for
the organization came in at 1.2 million dollars, which includes
expenses for the march, the rally, international and United States 
outreach, lobbying and actions, hospitality and scholarships, rent 
and phone. By comparison the 1993 March on Washington cost 1.8 
million dollars.

There are a few factors in the projected deficit.  "After the week of
Gay Games and numerous other events which did not financially benefit
Stonewall 25, we found that many were tapped out by the time they got to
Sunday June 26.  We clearly were asking for people to give when they had
already spent much of their money on event tickets, t-shirts, and dances,"
pointed out Co-Chair Nicole Ramirez Murray.  The shortage was not only
financial.  "Stonewall 25 had been working with a staff of only a dozen and
was up against the organization and volunteers of the Gay Games.  This
severely hindered the staffing of all aspects of Stonewall 25, especially the
money collection."  As most pride events and the other Marches on Washington
can attest, the majority of income for these kind of events comes in at the
event itself, through merchandising and money collection.  Another factor was
that even when the volunteers and announcements were in place for a money
sweep at the Rally, the Parks Department intervened and prohibited the
collection from happening, severing a projected source of income.

Many of the Executive Committee, which consists entirely of volunteers who
have been working on Stonewall 25 for over a year, are themselves in debt
with loans they have made or expenses they have incurred.  "I myself am owed
upwards of $10,000 by the organization," added Co-Chair Fry.

         Release of Official Video Tape, "The Future is Ours!"

A major step to fundraise is the production of the official video tape, The
Future is Ours!  The tape will feature highlights from the march and the
rally, including performances and speeches from around the world.  Stonewall
25 encourages all who purchase videos to be wise
and buy the official tape, not knock-offs, as this will be the main
source of income in the next number of months.

Additional funds will be gathered from events that occurred during the
weekend.  A few of the parties and concerts have agreements to donate
proceeds to Stonewall 25.  Various members of the Executive Committee are
also working other areas of fundraising, from direct mail to events.
 Stonewall 25 merchandise is still available through 212-626-6925.

"To gather the number of people who were there was not an overnight
production.  Nine years of planning went into the international aspects of
this event," declared Co-Chair Pat Norman.  "We need those who felt moved by
the events to make a contribution."

Over the past twelve months most of the funds have come from grass-root
activists with additional support coming from corporations and businesses,
many of which are gay- and lesbian-owned and idenitfied.  Donations of
in-kind services and cash came from the sponsorships of the Pointone Card,
Gay Entertainment Television, the Pride Network, 2 Gay Fon, Genre, Long Beach
Lesbian and Gay Pride, Gay Activist Alliance of Morris County, Alternative
Television, the Gay and Lesbian Visitors Center of New York, Ten Percent
Magazine, Out Magazine, Tracks D.C., DIFFA, New York Newsday, Rolling Rock
Beer, Homo Xtra, SKYY Vodka, Jim Hormel, the Imperial Courts of North America
and the Private Label Water Company.

Additional financial reports are being completed and will be released.

Contributions may be mailed to Stonewall 25, P.O. Box 2038, New York, New
York, 10113 or by calling 212-626-6925.