Subject: National Coming Out Day
From: Sam_Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 1994 15:50:34 -0400 (edt)

> Date: Sat, 01 Oct 1994 14:41:43 -0400
> From: Tim Massie <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: REG: HELLO
>
> > > > National Coming Out Day?  11/11?  Are you serious?
> > > >
> > > Actually, I believe the date is 10/11.
> > >                               ^^
> > But, I mean, is that a presidential proclamation, congressional
> > resolution, something sponsored by a glb organization?
> 
> There is actually an organization called "National Coming Out Day," and I
> don't know that much more about it.  However, it's always been in
> mid-October.  I'll keep my eyes open for any articles and post them here.

National Coming Out Day was founded by Rob Eichenberger, PhD (who has
written several books on coming out), among others, in 1988 and falls on
October 11th of each year.  That day was chosen to commemorate the 1987
March on Washington, one of the greatest successes of the LesBiGay movement. 
For more information, one can contact the organization.

National Coming Out Day
Box 15524
Santa Fe, NM  15524
Phone: 505-982-2558

A popular ritual on many campuses is to buy an ad in the school's paper
publishing the names of those coming out.  It's a nice way of going public
-- but yet remain contained enough so that such information doesn't get back
to the parents if that is so desired (coming out, after all, is a lifelong
step-by-step process).

The Big Gay Book, edited by John Preston, lists the various reasons the
organization  enumerates for coming out (pp 313-314), but my fingers are too
tired to type.  It also includes the popular Keith Haring logo which
features one of his trademark faceless figures walking out of a dark room.

Happy Coming Out Day!  (you debutantes!)