Subject: ACTION ALERT: Penn State
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:50:54 -0600 (CST)

Submitted by: Wes Younger, Georgia Tech Gay and Lesbian Alliance

[ Moderator Note:  Reply-To set to [email-masked] ]

I was forwarded the following letter earlier this week.

The Penn State Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual Student Alliance is seeking the
support of LGBT organizations (and organizations representing other
under-represented or minority groups) from around the country.  Our
Undergraduate Supreme Court recently denied student organization
status to a proposed group called S.T.R.A.I.G.H.T. (Students
reinforcing adherence in general heterosexual tradition). From
S.T.R.A.I.G.H.T.'s constitution:
 
"The purpose of STRAIGHT is to provide students with an official and
formal organization in which they can express their views regarding
the refusal to accept or support homosexuality, as well as provide
peer support for inter-heterosexual matters.  STRAIGHT will also
function as a lobby organization providing such students the ability,
and means, to participate in furthering their related political
agendas.  Furthermore, STRAIGHT is committed to deterring the
inclinations of intolerant individuals who engage in any actions that
are not purely political, or in any way suggest animosity."

The last line of this statement was added after we intercepted an
email message between STRAIGHT members in which specific gay-bashing
acts were discussed.
 
We are proud of our student Justices, and hope this major step toward
a tolerant and respectful campus community sets the standard for other
Universities.  We agree with the Court's decision which in no way
infringe' s upon the rights of individuals to exercise their First
Amendment rights to free speech and freedom of assembly.
 
There are several things you and your organization can do to help.
 
1.) Pass this message along to other minority organizations.  Here at
Penn State we are witnessing something spectacular....this controversy
has galvanized the spirit and hope of our many diverse organizations;
we feel this can happen at other Universities as well.
 
2.) Send letters of support to our Justices, who have courageously
established an unprecedented standard of hope.
 
3.) Send us your suggestions, advice, comments, and hopefully,
support, as we prepare for the legal battle that looms ahead if the
leader of STRAIGHT takes this matter to court.
 
4.) Make this issue the focus of a discussion group at your next
meeting or workshop event.  We've found many of our members were
inspired and empowered by this campus-wide debate.
 
5.) Contact your campus media and encourage them to cover your group's
reaction.  The media attention surrounding this story is growing; use
it to enhance visibility of your group on the local level.

To email our brave Supreme Court Justices, please contact: Jit
Chatterjee, Dawn Brown, Desha Girod, Aaliya Bokhari, Tonilyn Chippie,
Bryan Weis, and Winfield Turpin.  Emails:  [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
[email-masked]
 
Thanks for your time,

Duane Gildea

Lesbian Gay Bisexual Student Alliance
310 HUB
University Park, PA 16802
[email-masked]
814-865-3327

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________