Subject: ACTION ALERT: Nebraska
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 19:00:43 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] (Andy Bosselman) ]

Right now, the Nebraska unicermal's Business and Finance Committee is
considering a bill that would prohibit discrimination on the basis of
sexual orientation in employment. This bill has never advanced from
committee in the five previous years it has been introduced. This
year, there may be some hope, according to Matt LeMieux, executive
director of the ACLU Nebraska.

The following is a list of the legislators in the Business and Finance
Committe and how to contact them. The guide to how receptive they may
be is provided by LeMieux.

It is very important that people from outside of Lincoln and Omaha
(past or present) tell senators how important this bill is to them.

Feel free (obligated) to call your senators at any time. Set up an
appointment with them or write a letter. For ideas on letters to send,
check the Human Rights Campaign action center at
http://www.hrcusa.org.

A note about E-mail: Senators are wary of E-mail and mass e-mailings.
The CEO of Internet Nebraska encouraged his coustomers to send large
amounts e-mail to senators last month about a telecommunications bill.
Most of the senators were very angry about this. Don't be discouraged
from sending e-mail, but a snail mail, phone call or visit is much
more effective.

Call the Bill Room at 402.471.2609 for a copy of LB869 or see it and
related information on the web at
http://srvwebsr.lcs.state.ne.us/cgi-win/billsel3.EXE

-------------

Sen. John Hilgert, Omaha (Possible Support)
http://cnsus.nrc.state.ne.us/senators/d07.html
[email-masked]
402.471.2721 (Capitol)
District 7
Nebraska State Legislature
Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509

Sen. Don Preister, Omaha (Possible Support, although afraid of voter
backlash)
http://cnsus.nrc.state.ne.us/senators/d05.html
[email-masked]
402.471.2710 (Capitol)
District 5
Nebraska State Legislature
Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509

Sen. Dianna Schimek, Lincoln (Definite Support)
http://cnsus.nrc.state.ne.us/senators/d27.html
[email-masked]
402.471.2632
District 27
Nebraska State Legislature
Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509

Sen. Ernie Chamber, Omaha (Definite Support)
402.471.2612 (Capitol)
http://cnsus.nrc.state.ne.us/senators/d11.html
District 11
Nebraska State Legislature
Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509

Sen. Chris Abboud, Omaha (Probably lost cause)
402.471.2623 (Capitol)
http://cnsus.nrc.state.ne.us/senators/d12.html
[email-masked]
District 12
Nebraska State Legislature
Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509

Sen. "Cap" Dierks, Ewing (Almost a definite lost cause, claims no one
in his district needs this or wants this)
http://cnsus.nrc.state.ne.us/senators/d40.html
[email-masked]
402.471.2618
District 40
Nebraska State Legislature
Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509

Sen. Ed Schrock, Elm Creek (Probably would vote against it, but this
is the first time he has been faced with this issue)
http://cnsus.nrc.state.ne.us/senators/d38.html
[email-masked]
402.471.2732
District 38
Nebraska State Legislature
Box 94604, Lincoln, NE 68509

This message was composed by Andy Bosselman, President of "Somone You
Know". Someone You Know is a new GLBT student organization at the
University of Nebraska. Our next meeting is Thursday, March 13 at 7
p.m. in the College of Business Administration Building room 107.
E-mail [email-masked] for more information.

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________