Subject: ACTION ALERT: Iowa
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:45:08 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

We need your immediate help to block anti-gay & lesbian marriage legislation
in Iowa.  We are expecting these Bills to begin being voted on in the next
week.

Background--

As you may know, Iowa is the home of the first Presidential Caucus every four
years.  Iowans have the opportunity to meet and speak to most nationally
known and nationally ambitious politicians.  Because of Iowa's unique role in
Presdiential politics and the media attention that brings with it, it is
extremely important to fight the attack on gays, lesbians, bisexuals and
transgender people in Iowa.  

The March 4, 1997 Advocate issue, on page 28, lists 8 leaders of the
religious right, who are using gay issues to futher the the right's extremist
agenda.  It is interesting to note that Bill Horn, a current resident of
Iowa, is included in this list.

Action needed--

Iowa's Governor, Terry Branstad (who is rumored to be interested in running
for President), has offered two bills to our State Legislature dealing with
marriage that are designed to ban same-gender marriage.  They are Senate
Study Bill 114 (SSB 114) and House Study Bill 37 (HSB 37).  Our Legislature
and Governor are Republican controlled.

Please e-mail or snail mail your thoughts about these bills to the following
people:

RE: SSB 114
Senator Mary Kramer, President of the Senate, State Capitol, Des Moines, IA
50319
[email-masked]

Senator Andy McKean, Chair, Judiciary Committee, State Capitol, Des Moines,
IA 50319
[email-masked]

RE: HSB 37
Representative Ron Corbett, Speaker of the House, State Capitol, Des Moines,
IA 50319
[email-masked]

Representative Jeffrey Lamberti, Chair, Judiciary Committee, State Capitol,
Des Moines, IA  50319 
[email-masked]

If you are from Iowa, please include your snail mail address and details
about why this important to you.  If you are from outside of Iowa, please do
the tourist/Iowa products/Field of Dreams type writing.  The more e-mails the
better, so please pass this along.  Action before March 1 is recommended.

The Iowa Coalition for Human Rights (ICHR) is a political action committee
working for civil and human rights for gay, lesbian, bisexual, and
transgender people.  ICHR is funded through the generous donations of
individuals.  For more information or to donate contact ICHR, PO Box 1222,
Iowa City, IA 52244, [email-masked]  

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________