Subject: ACTION ALERT: Fort Bragg Gay "Witch Hunt"
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 22:31:10 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

***URGENT***    WITCH HUNT ALERT

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network has received reports today that a witch
hunt to ferret out suspected gay military members may be currently ongoing at
Fort Bragg, North Carolina.  The reports indicate that investigators from the
Criminal Investigative Division [CID] are questioning military members,
asking them to identify other military members in photos supposedly taken at
a gay-friendly civilian bar and at private social gatherings.

TO PREVENT THE WITCH HUNT FROM SPREADING, PLEASE TAKE THE FOLLOWING STEPS
[in order of importance] :

1.  If you know someone stationed at Bragg or a nearby military installation,
please let them know of this reported investigation.  Be sure they know their
rights:  to REMAIN SILENT, to NOT SIGN ANYTHING, and to SEEK LEGAL HELP.
 They can contact SLDN at (202) 328-3244 for free, confidential counseling.

2.  Call the offices of the Commanding General of Fort Bragg, Lt. Gen. John
M. Keane at (910) 396-3111.  Ask to speak to someone who can pass a message
of concern to General Keane.  Let him know that CID is violating current Army
regulations by seeking to learn the sexual orientation of individuals who
patronize a local civilian establishment and that it must stop.  Emails can
also be sent to the Bragg Public Affairs Office at [email-masked].

3.  Call or fax the Secretary of the Army, The Honorable Togo West at voice
(703) 695 6311 ; fax (703) 697 8036.  [Snail address: 101 Army Pentagon,
Washington, D.C. 20410-0101]  Let his office know about the reports from Fort
Bragg and that it is unacceptable for Army investigators to pursue
servicemembers simply because they might have patronized a bar with gay
clients and it must stop immediately.

As always, keep track of who you talk to and let us know of actions taken and
any responses received.  Also please copy SLDN on any faxes/emails.  Because
of the nature of witch hunt investigations, it is important that these
calls/faxes be made as soon as possible.  Thanks for helping us to protect
servicemembers hurt by the military's anti-gay policies.
Kirk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kirk Childress, Esq.  ~ Staff Attorney
Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
PO Box 53013 ~ Washington, D.C.  20009
Voice (202) 328-3244  ~  Fax (202) 797-1635
[email-masked] ~ http://www.sldn.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________