Subject: ACTION ALERT: Don't Ask Don't Tell Violations
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:46:51 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by SLDN ]

1996 Gay Discharges Highest Since 1991

***Asking, Harassment and Witch Hunts Continue***
Pentagon Ignores Violations of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network released its Third Annual Report
documenting violations of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue" by the
military at a press conference today in Washington, D.C.  The report is
available at www.sldn.org, beginning this afternoon, east coast time.  

SLDN's report, based on our casework for the period Feb 28, 1996 to Feb 26,
1997 finds that certain military commanders continue to ask servicemembers
about their sexual orientation, conduct witch hunts to ferret out suspected
gays and lesbians and condone dangerous climates of anti-gay harassment.  The
executive summary and recommendations of the report will follow by second
email.

Please write or call the following officials, and your representatives in
Congress, to let them know that Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue MUST be
implemented fairly and in compliance with the law and the original intent of
the policy.  The asking, harassment and witch hunts of servicemembers
suspected of being gay MUST STOP.  As always, please send SLDN a copy of your
correspondence or let us know the results of your phone calls.  Also PLEASE
distribute this alert as widely as possible, our folks in the field need your
support.  We have a great window of opportunity to have the new Secretary of
Defense enforce the policy fairly. On behalf of SLDN and all those serving in
the military under DA, DT, DP.  THANK YOU!!!

Write to:
The Honorable William Cohen
Secretary of Defense
1000 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-1000
fax (703) 695-1219 
voice (703) 695-5261

The Honorable Al Gore
Vice President
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC  20500
fax: (202) 456-7044 
voice:  (202) 456-2326
email: [email-masked]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     Kirk Childress, Esq.  ~ Staff Attorney
   Servicemembers Legal Defense Network
  PO Box 53013 ~ Washington, D.C.  20009
Voice (202) 328-3244  ~  Fax (202) 797-1635
      [email-masked] ~ http://www.sldn.org
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~