Subject: ACTION ALERT: California AB 800
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 20:41:14 -0500 (CDT)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

*** SUMMARY ***

FROM THE L.A. FREEDOM TO MARRY COALITION
AND THE L.A. GAY & LESBIAN CENTER

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE/FORWARD!!!

URGENT ACTION ALERT!

AB 800, THE ANTI-MARRIAGE BILL, WILL BE HEARD
IN THE ASSEMBLY JUDICIARY COMMITTEE; SB 911 FAILED TO PASS

Assembly Bill 800, the identical twin of the deceased bill, SB 911, has been
rescheduled to be heard in the Assembly Judiciary Committee on
Wednesday, May 7th, 1997.

AB 800 (like SB 911) would prohibit California from recognizing same-gender
marriages performed legally in other states (in anticipation of a favorable
Hawai'i court decision).  Deceptively entitled the "California Defense of
Marriage Act," AB 800 would declare that California has a strong public
policy of only recognizing marriages contracted between one man and one
woman, whether it be within or outside the state, and that same-sex
relationships shall not be entitled to the benefits of marriage under
California law.

Incidentally, SB 911 failed to pass in the State Senate Judiciary Committee
on Tuesday, April 22, 1997.  After being amended to include various domestic
partnership benefits, the revised bill only received two votes to pass (it
needed 5 votes for passage).

*** ACTION ***

Please send letters of OPPOSITION or call the following legislators/committee
members and urge them to:

    OPPOSE Assembly Bill 800

Letters and/or calls should go to:

THE HONORABLE (NAME)
CALIFORNIA STATE ASSEMBLY
SACRAMENTO, CALIFORNIA  95814

Assemblymember Martha Escutia (D - Huntington Park)
Chair, Judiciary Committee
Phone:  916-445-8188, Fax:  916-324-0012

Assemblymember Dion Aroner (D - Oakland)
Phone:  916-445-7554; Fax:  916-445-6434

Assemblymember Louis Caldera (D - East Los Angeles)
Phone:  916-445-4843; Fax:  916-443-6812

Assemblymember Dick Floyd (D - Carson)
Phone:  916-445-3134; Fax:  916-322-0655

Assemblymember Fred Keeley (D - Santa Cruz)
Phone:  916-445-8570; Fax:  916-445-1826

Assemblymember Tom McClintock (R - Granada Hills)
Phone:  916-445-8366; Fax:  916-322-2005

Assemblymember Deborah Ortiz (D - Sacramento)
Phone:  916-445-1611; Fax:  916-327-3338

Assemblymember Rod Pacheco (R - Riverside)
Phone:  916-445-0854; Fax:  916-323-7179

Assemblymember Kevin Shelley (D - San Francisco)
Phone:  916-445-8253; Fax:  916-324-4899

Short, handwritten letters are the most effective.

For further information, call the Public Policy Dept. at 213-860-7350.
Please fax or e-mail a copy of your letter to the Center:
Fax:  213-860-7369, E-Mail:  [email-masked]

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________