Subject: ACTION ALERT: California (III)
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 13:44:24 -0600 (CST)

[ Moderator Note:  This is NOT a duplicate alert.  It is the next phase
  in passage of this bill.

  submitted by: Jennifer Richard <[email-masked]> ]

*** SUMMARY ***

AB 101 (Kuehl) which protects gay and lesbian students from 
discrimination is set to be heard April 9, 1997 in the Assembly Education 
Committee.  

The religious right has mounted an attack against this bill.  Committee 
members are getting lots of phone calls and letters from those who oppose 
AB 101.  Your letters, telephone calls, and e-mails of support are 
needed.

*** ACTION ***

CALL AND WRITE THESE TWO MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE:

Assemblymember Elaine Alquist		(408)296-3052 or (916)445-4253
Assembly Education Committee
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

(Alquist represents Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Saratoga, Rancho 
Rinconada, Burbank, Campbell and part of San Jose.  She particularly 
needs to hear from her constituents in support of this bill).

Assemblymember Scott Wildman	(818)240-6330 or (916)445-8364
Assembly Education Committee
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95815

(Wildman represents Burbank, Glendale and part of Los Angeles.  He 
particularly needs to hear from constituents  in support of this bill).

SAMPLE SUPPORT LETTER:

Dear Assemblymember:

I am writing to urge your support of AB 101 (Kuehl), which would protect 
students from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.  
Discrimination and harassment must not be allowed to stand between even 
one student and that student's ability to pursue an education.

Thank you,

(Your Name Here)

E-MAIL COMMITTEE MEMBERS:

Just clip the below address bundles and past them into the "to" box 
on your e-mail managers and send a message to the committee 
members who will be voting on the bill.

[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked]   

SEND ORGANIZATIONAL LETTERS OF SUPPORT:

Organizational letters of support for AB 101 should be sent the chair of 
the Assembly Education Committee and copied to Assemblymember Kuehl's 
office.  Send these organizational letters of support to:

Assemblymember Kerry Mazzoni, Chair
Assembly Education Committee
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814
fax (916)322-2516

and

Assemblymember Sheila Kuehl
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814
fax (916)324-4454

For the text of AB 101 (Kuehl) or to look up information such as 
the telephone numbers of the Assembly Education Committee members, check 
out the Legislative Info Web Page at: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

Jennifer Richard
Policy Consultant
Office of Assemblymember Kuehl
e-mail:[email-masked]

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________