Subject: ACTION ALERT: California (II)
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 21:24:13 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

After passing the Assembly Higher Education Committee by a vote of 8-6, 
AB 101, which protects gay and lesbian students from discrimination is on 
to the next committee hearing.  The bill is scheduled to be heard in 
the Assembly Education Committee, April 9, 1997.  

The religious right has mounted an attack against this bill.  Committee 
members are getting lots of phone calls and letters from those who oppose 
AB 101.  Your letters, telephone calls, and e-mails of support are 
needed.

SEND ORGANIZATIONAL LETTERS OF SUPPORT:

Organizational letters of support for AB 101 should be sent the chair of 
the Assembly Education Committee and copied to Assemblymember Kuehl's 
office.  Send these organizational letters of support to:

Assemblymember Kerry Mazzoni, Chair
Assembly Education Committee
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

and

Assemblymember Sheila Kuehl
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

SEND LETTERS TO COMMITTEE MEMBERS:

Mazzoni (Chair), Pacheco (Vice-Chair), Alquist, Bowler, Caldera, 
Campbell, Davis, Goldsmith, Honda, House, Leach, Lempert, Leonard, 
Martinez, Morrow, Scott, Strom-Martin, Sweeney, Washington, Wayne, and 
Wildman.

Use the following standard address:

Assemblymember (Name)
Assembly Education Committee
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814

E-MAIL COMMITTEE MEMBERS:

Just clip the below address bundles and past them into the "to" box 
on your e-mail managers and send a message to the committee 
members who will be voting on the bill.

[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked], [email-masked], 
[email-masked]   

SAMPLE SUPPORT LETTER:

Dear Assemblymember:

I am writing to urge your support of AB 101 (Kuehl), which would protect 
students from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.  
Discrimination and harassment must not be allowed to stand between even 
one student and that student's ability to pursue an education.

Thank you,

(Your Name Here)

For the text of AB 101 (Kuehl) or to look up information such as 
the telephone numbers of the Assembly Education Committee members, check 
out the Legislative Info Web Page at: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/

Thank you and keep up the good work,

Jennifer Richard
Policy Consultant
Office of Assemblymember Kuehl
e-mail:[email-masked]

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________