Subject: ACTION ALERT: California
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 21:21:37 -0500 (CDT)

** SUMMARY **

FROM THE OFFICE OF ASSEMBLYMEMBER SHEILA KUEHL:

I thought those of you who had expressed an interested in the Dignity for
All Students Act might be interested in what is happening on the marriage
issue at the capitol.

I just heard from LIFE Lobby (916-444-0424) that the Senate Judiciary
Committee has received two letters of opposition to Senator Pete
Knight's anti-marriage bill, SB 911.

** ACTION **

Letters in  opposition to SB 911 are URGENTLY needed to be faxed to
members of the Judiciary Committee.  The Senate Judiciary Committe will
be meeting April 22, 1997 to vote on the bill.

Please send your letters of opposition on SB 911 to the following members:

SENATOR JOHN BURTON, CHAIR
fax (916) 327-7229

SENATOR BARBARA LEE
fax (916) 327-1997

SENATOR BILL LOCKYER
fax (916) 323-2234

SENATOR JACK O'CONNELL
fax (916) 322-3304

SAMPLE LETTER:

Dear Senator:

I oppose SB 911 (Knight).  This bill would deny the recognition in
California of same-sex marriages legally performed in other states.

With all the work that still must be done to speed California's economic
recovery, improve our schools and make our streets safe, I can't imagine
how any legislator who takes his responsibilities seriously, would
support this attempt to try and carve out a single and hateful exemption
to the requirement that California give full faith and credit to all
marriages performed legally in all other states.

AB 1982 flies in the face of our common sense expectations that this is
one country and if you are married in one state, you are married--
period.  The Full Faith & Credit clause, the right to travel, and the
Equal Protection clause of the U.S. Constitution all help assure that our
basic freedoms don't disappear when people cross state lines.

Today we look back in horror at the laws that prevented inter-racial
couples from marrying.  Yet it is important to remember that those who
opposed inter-racial marriage did so with the same hysterical degree of
moral certainty that those who are fighting against same sex marriage
have today.  I believe that a time will come when the majority of people
will look back on this time and they won't even be able to comprehend
this kind of discrimination.

I urge you to stand against this hateful and divisive legislation.  Vote
"No" on SB 911.

Sincerely,

(Your Name & Address)

PHONE CALLS

Also, I just heard that California Talks, a religious right radio
program has targed two Senators with phone calls in support of SB 911
(Knight).  Our side needs to counterbalance the calls from the
religious right.

Please call the following members and urge them to vote against SB 911.

SENATOR CHARLES CALDERON
(916) 327-8315

SENATOR JACK O'CONNEL
(916)445-5405

We cannot let the ball drop now.  Keep up the good work.

Jennifer Richard
e-mail:[email-masked]

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________