Subject: ACTION ALERT: California
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 18:53:44 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

URGENT CALIFORNIA ACTION-ALERT - PLEASE DISTRIBUTE FAR AND WIDE

The Assembly Higher Education Committee will be meeting to decide the
fate of AB 101, a bill introduced by Assemblymember Kuehl, which protects
gay and lesbian students from discrimination in California's public
educational institutions.

The religious right are gearing up in opposition to the bill.  We've
heard calls are coming in 7-3 in opposition to the bill.

Telephone calls to key committee members are needed :

Sally Havice	(D-Artesia)		(562)809-0010 or (916)445-6047
Jim Cunneen 	(R-Campbell)		(408)369-8170 or (916)445-8305
Steve Kuykendall(R-Long Beach)		(562)495-4766 or (916)445-7266
Brooks Firestone(R-Santa Barbara	(805)965-1994 or (916)445-8292

[ Moderator Note: I received an email saying Kuykendall's number above
  was (916) 445-9234 ]

Sample Phone Script:

"Hello, my name is (        ).  Please give Assemblymember (       )
this message.  I urge your support for AB 101, which would protect gay
and lesbian students from violence and harassment in our schools.  Thank
you."

It looks like this is going to be a very close committee vote.  Your phone
call really will make a difference.

Also, send E-MAIL to Assemblymembers Cunneen and Kuykendall (the other
members are not on line) at:

[email-masked]
[email-masked]

Thank you and keep up the good work,

Jennifer Richard
Policy Consultant
Office of Assemblymember Kuehl
e-mail: [email-masked]

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________