Subject: ACTION ALERT: Arizona Hate-Crimes Law
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 1997 00:02:10 -0500 (CDT)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND

ACTION ALERT

HATE CRIMES BILL EXPECTED TO PASS ARIZONA SENATE

CALLS TO GOVERNOR SYMINGTON ARE URGED

BACKGROUD:  AHRF in conjunction with a coalition of other minority and civil
rights groups is again lobbying for the passage of a Hate Crimes Bill that
includes sexual orientation (Last year's bill was vetoed by Governor
Symington).  SB1047 (formerly HB 2182); aggravating circumstances (i.e hate
crimes); will allow judges to impose stiffer penalties on criminals who
select their victim because of that person's actual or perceived race,
religion, color, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin. 

STATUS:  SB 1047 has passed the Arizona House of Representatives.  The vote
was 36 YES, 20 NO, and 4 NOT VOTING.  Rep. Don Aldridge (R-1, Lake Havasu
City) refused to schedule the hate crimes bill for a vote even through it had
passed its required committees.  In order to force a vote Rep. Robin Shaw
(R-26, Phoenix) collected 36 signatures on a discharge petition, which would
require the vote to come to the floor. 

The bill now goes on to the Senate for a vote.  The bill is expected to pass
the Senate.   Therefore, upporters of SB 1047 are urged to call Governor Fife
Symington and ask him to sign the bill.  The Arizona Hate Crimes Task Force
is attempting to get over 2000 phone calls into the Governor's office in the
next several days.  Please call or fax as soon as possible, as the bill may
go to the Governor for his signature or veto either today (Friday) or over
the weekend.

ACTION REQUIRED:

1) Call Governor Fife Symington at (602) 542-1318.  This line connects to
voice-mail when lines are full or after hours.  Call and leave a message
asking the Governor to sign SB 1047, the hate crimes legislation.

2)   FAX A LETTER.  Letters can be faxed to (602) 542-7601.  Address them to:
The Honorable Fife Symington.

4)   E-MAIL A LETTER. The gov can be e-mailed at [email-masked].  Check
out Fife's web page at http://www.state.az.us/gv/index.html.

For the copy of the bill and status of SB 1047 goto:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/43leg/1r/bills/s001-050.htm#SB1047

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
P.O. Box 25044
Phoenix, AZ  85002

voice mail:  (602) 530-1660
fax:  (602) 254-7695
e-mail:  [email-masked]

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________