Subject: ACTION ALERT: Arizona
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 21:28:07 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND

ACTION ALERT

Two bills that are of interest to supporters of human rights will be heard in
Legislative Committee during the next week - an employment non-discrimination
bill and a hate crimes bill.

EMPLOYMENT DISCRIMINATION BILL ALERT

Dianne Post has informed AHRF that the Arizona Employment Non-Discrimination
Bill has been introduced again in the Arizona House.  HB 2431: employment
discrimination; sexual orientation; will make it an unlawful practice to
discriminate against someone in employment based on their actual or perceived
sexual orientation.

HB 2431 will be heard in the House Commerce Committee on Tuesday, February 4
at 9:00 a.m. in House Hearing Room #4 at the Arizona House of
Representatives.

If you attend, forms will be provided so that you may indicate your support
of HB 2431.  Testimony before the committee is being organized by Dianne
Post.  If you would like to testify please e-mail AHRF and we will forward
the information to Dianne.  Particularly important are people who have been
discriminated against in employment and representatives from small and large
companies and businesses.

Whether or not you plan to attend, please call and/or e-mail the following
members of the Commerce Committee and urge them to support equal rights in
employment for all Arizona citizens.

 * Linda Aguirre     D23 D [email-masked]  (602) 542-3278
 * Carolyn Allen     D28 R [email-masked]    (602) 542-4225
 * David Armstead    D23 D [email-masked] (602) 542-5864
 * Brian Fagin       D13 D [email-masked]    (602) 542-5828
 * Gail Griffin      D8  R [email-masked]  (602) 542-5761
 * Barbara Leff (vc) D24 R [email-masked]     (602) 542-5863
 * Sue Lynch         D1  R [email-masked]    (602) 542-5412
 * Marion Pickens    D14 D [email-masked]  (602) 542-3425
 * Robin Shaw (c)    D26 R [email-masked]     (602) 542-5408
 * John Verkamp      D2  R [email-masked]  (602) 542-3300
 * Roberta Voss      D19 R In process...               (602) 542-5168

c = chair
vc = vice-chair

Links to members of the House Commerce committee can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/committe/hcom.htm

Links to all members of the Arizona House of Representatives can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/members/members.htm

For the copy of the bill and status of HB 2431 go to:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/43leg/1r/bills/h401-450.htm#HB2431

If you are not sure which district is yours, visit the above web page and see
their map, or call the Maricopa County Elections Dept. (602) 506-1511. You
can contact all legislators, regardless of district.

Letters may also be written to:

The Honorable [member name]
Arizona House of Representatives
1700 W. Washington
Phoenix, AZ  85007

HATE CRIMES ACTION ALERT

AHRF in conjunction with a coalition of other minority and civil rights
groups is again lobbying for the passage of a Hate Crimes Bill that includes
sexual orientation (Last year's bill was vetoed by Governor Symington).  Rep.
Robin Shaw has introduced HB  2182: aggravating circumstances; that will
allow judges to impose stiffer penalties on criminals who select their victim
because of that person's actual or perceived race, religion, color, gender,
sexual orientation, or national origin.

HB 2182 will be heard in the House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday, February
5 at 1:30 pm. in House Hearing Room #1 or #3.

Whether or not you plan to attend, please call and/or e-mail the following
members of the Judiciary Committee and urge them to support HB 2182 - the
hate crimes bill.

 * Mark Anderson    D29 R [email-masked] (602) 542-4371
 * Mike Gardner     D27 R [email-masked] (602) 542-5896
 * Benjamin Hanley  D3  D [email-masked]  (602) 542-5862
 * Tom Horne        D24 R [email-masked]   (602) 542-5977
 * John Loredo      D22 D In process...              (602) 542-5830
 * Wes Marsh (vc)   D28 R [email-masked]   (602) 542-5503
 * Paul Newman      D8  D [email-masked]  (602) 542-5058
 * Lela Steffey     D29 R [email-masked] (602) 542-5760
 * John Verkamp (c) D2  R [email-masked] (602) 542-3300
 * Roberta Voss     D19 R In process...              (602) 542-5168
 * Christine Weason D25 D [email-masked]  (602) 542-3297

Links to members of the House Judiciary Committee can be found at:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/committe/hjud.htm

For the copy of the bill and status of HB 2431 goto:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/legtext/43leg/1r/bills/h151-200.htm#HB2182

Thanks to the Lesbian & Gay Public Awareness Project and Arizonans for
Fairness for providing information for this alert.

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND
P.O. Box 25044
Phoenix, AZ  85002

voice mail:  (602) 530-1660
fax:  (602) 254-7695
e-mail:  [email-masked]

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________