Subject: ACTION ALERT: Arizona
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 17:59:26 -0600 (CST)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

ARIZONA HUMAN RIGHTS FUND

ACTION ALERT

Two anti-gay bills that are being proposed in the Arizona Legislature.
Folders have been opened on all these bills.  They have yet to be filed
in the Arizona Legislature.  The Arizona Human Rights Fund will keep you
posted as events develop.  In the meantime, calls and letters should go to
the legislators below.

PROPOSED LEGISLATION

* Sodomy would become a Class 6 felony. It is currently classified as a
  Class 3 misdemeanor under Arizona law.

* Gay or lesbian student groups would be barred from meeting on high school
  and university campuses statewide. Schools also would be prevented from
  allowing such groups to use faculty members as their sponsors.

** Contact the individuals below, plus your own representative. **
** Legislators should be asked to OPPOSE these proposed laws. **

CONTACT INFORMATION

For an e-mail directory of all AZ Legislators, see
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/

Rep.-elect Karen Johnson, R-Mesa (new - no phone number or e-mail available
yet) Letters can be faxed to her at the number below.

Outgoing House Speaker Mark Killian, R-Mesa, (602) 542-5729, no e-mail
available, (Rep. Killian is rumored to be a Republican candidate for Governor
in 1998)

Rep. Mike Gardner, [email-masked],  (602) 542-5896 (Thank Rep.
Gardner for opposing these bills, also needs to be encouraged to provide
leadership to his Mormon colleagues to defeat these divisive measures)

Rep. Ken Cheuvront, [email-masked], (602) 542-5895 (Thank Rep.
Cheuvront for taking the lead in the effort to defeat these anti-gay bills)

Letters can also be faxed to the Arizona House of Representatives at
(602) 542-4511.

Thanks to the Lesbian and Gay Public Awareness Project and [email-masked]
for contributing information for this report.