Subject: ACTION ALERT: American Airlines
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 13:13:57 -0600 (CST)

[submitted by [email-masked] ]

[ Moderator Note: Support for American Airlines is needed.
  Some alerts, however, are instructing writers to send messages to
  the Webmaster account at their domain.  It should be noted
  that the Webmaster account is for technical comments about their
  Web Page, not about AA's customer service. ]

SUMMARY:

   An unusual joint letter was released to the media today from the Family
Research Council, Concerned Women for America, American Family Association
and Coral Ridge Ministries.  Radical right leader Beverly LaHaye also went on
Christian "talk radio" today to blast American Airlines because "American's
sponsorship of homosexual 'pride' events constitutes an open endorsement of
promiscuous homosexuality."  She and the others have written Bob Crandall at
American to complain that the airline has "gone beyond mere tolerance" for
gays and lesbians.  [The full article appears in today's Fort Worth
Star-Telegram, and possibly picked up by other newspapers around the
country.]
   American Airlines is in truth a major sponsor to and supporter of groups
like GLAAD, the Human Rights Campaign, the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund, AIDS
Action Foundation, DIFFA, AmFAR, and scores of community-based groups
representing gays and lesbians.  It is also the first airline to adopt a
written non-discrimination policy covering sexual orientation in its
employment practices, and it is well represented by the leadership of its gay
and lesbian employee group, GLEAM.  For these pioneering efforts, and its
marketing and sales outreach to the gay and lesbian traveler, American has
become the next bulls'eye for hard-hitting, anti-gay corporate attacks.

   THE RESULT:  American's switchboard and e-mails are being bombarded now by
homophobic and hateful callers who have been urged by LaHaye and others to
demand the company terminate its gay-friendly policies.

   THE NEED:  We need to send our messages of support and encouragement.
 Below are two spontaneous e-mail messages from concerned individuals --
these kinds of individual expressions are valuable and essential to
management.  If you especially are a frequent flyer on American, or have
recently used American as your carrier, make a note.  That is important to
counter-act the impression that we are silent and unconcerned when the
vicious attacks are unleashed.

Write to:

American Airlines Consumer Relations
P.O. Box 619612 
MD 2400 
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9612

This information is at-- http://www.americanair.com/email/aamail.htm

Or call:

	817-963-1234

then hit "0" and request the operator to send your caller comment to their
executive offices.  You should be able to reach an individual to whom you
may register your views.

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________