Subject: *** ACTION ALERT Advisory ***
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 23:23:05 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings from your Moderator!

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that every
now and then an unfriendly person will come along and use our
action alerts against us.

Out of sheer stupidity these individuals have written to me, the moderator,
and informed me that they will do exactly the OPPOSITE of what
the alert requests in an effort to thwart us.  (And we have no idea
of how many there are who are remaining silent.)

This happened once a few months ago and again just yesterday,
with two recent alerts: ENDA and Indiana HB 1265.  In the first incident,
I promptly removed the individual from the list and placed him in my
forever-banned-from-action-alert file.

It should be noted that our action alerts are posted to the Usenet newsgroup
misc.activism.progressive.  The moderator of that group asked if he
may crosspost and I agreed.  I stand by that decision.

In the most recent incident, an individual who identifies himself as a
Christian is using misc.activism.progressive as a way to follow our
alerts (and perhaps others) and to act contrary to what they proscribe.

Normally I frown on sharing private email, but since this individual
was brazen enough to Cc: me on letters to his senator and Governor O'Bannon
of Indiana, I have no problem sharing what he wrote:

-----  Begin Included Message  -----

Dear Governor O'Bannon,

I am writing to ask you to please sign into law HB 1265.  It is unfortunate
that our society has reached a point where such fundamentals of morality must
be explicitly stated.  However, it is imperative that the individual states
declare null and void any "marriages" between same sex individuals that have
taken place in Hawaii or any other jurisdiction.  The will of the American
people was carried out when the national Defense of Marriage Act passed.
 Please use this new law to stop and/or eliminate homosexual marriage within
the state of Indiana.

Sincerely,
Mike Southerland

Dear Senator Hutchison,

I am writing to ask you to oppose S. 932, Employment Non-Discrimination Act.
 This bill will grant special rights to homosexuals based on their behavior
and lifestyle.  This perverted lifestyle has no place among legitimate "equal
rights" cases such as race, gender, and religion.  To pass this bill would
violate the religious rights of employers who feel that homosexuality is a
sin.  This would be particularly devestating to Christian schools and
churches.

Sincerly,
Mike Southerland
Carrollton, Texas

------  End Included Message  ------

If you had any doubts abouting writing or were procrastinating-- DON'T!
Those two letters should be all the motivation you need!

I have omitted Mike's email address above-- for very good reason.
I know that many of you will waste time writing to HIM, when you should
be writing to your own senators and representatives asking them to
SUPPORT ENDA.  Use http://www.hrc.org to find out who they are.  Those of
you in Indiana should be asking Governor O'Bannon ([email-masked])
to VETO  HB1265.  Please do not ask me for Mike's email address.
I will not disclose it.

Make no mistake about it:  The Religious Right and its followers waste no
time in writing their letters and making phone calls.  Neither should we.
Our civil rights depend upon it.

---
Moderator Email:  [email-masked]

_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
* List Information:    http://www.qrd.org/qrd/electronic/email/action-alert *
_____________________________________________________________________________