Subject: ACTION ALERT: Hawaii Military Witch Hunts
From: ACTION ALERT Moderator
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 13:14:03 -0500 (CDT)

ACTION ALERT
ABC'sS NIGHTLINE ON THE HAWAII WITCH HUNT

The Hawaii witch hunt was the feature on last night’s edition of Nightline
(9/11/96).  The piece did a great job of demonstrating the violations of the
"don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t pursue" policy which have already ruined the
careers of five servicemembers and threaten those of at least twelve others.
 Nightline featured interviews with both Dixon Osburn and Kirk Childress of
Servicemembers Legal Defense Network.

In an amazing development, Charlie Moskos, the principal architect of the
military'’s current anti-gay policy, stated that the Hawaii witch hunt, and
the plea bargain for names which started it, violate the policy.  

Now we need a strong showing to build on the renewed momentum generated by
Nightline.  This is an integral element of SLDN’s strategy to stop the Hawaii
witch hunt and to prevent further witch hunts and abuses.  A few hundred
urgent messages of concern will make all the difference.

**************WHAT TO DO***********************

Please call or write the officials below.  Tell them:

a) you are outraged at the Air Force witch hunt reported last night by
Nightline.  The military has no business spending exorbitant amounts of your
tax money engaging in illegal investigations in pursuit of people disliked by
some vindictive prosecutors.

b) Congress and the Commander-in-Chief mandated an end to witch hunts and
military officers are constitutionally bound to follow the civilian
authorities placed over them.  It is inexcusable that Members of Congress
have been stonewalled by the Air Force in their attempts to protect their
constituents.

c) the Air Force must STOP the criminal prosecution of the officer ensnared
in a witch hunt that has been branded as wrong even by the author of  "don’t
ask, don’t tell, don’t pursue," Charlie Moskos.

Important Note:  You are likely to be told that this is an Air Force matter
and under investigation by them.  Be firm, let the person know that you are
well aware that the Air Force has stonewalled for more than 3 months now, and
has done nothing except to continue breaking the rules and pursuing
servicemembers.  Clearly this needs to be addressed at a higher level.

DIRECT YOUR CALLS/FAXES TO (in this order of priority):

Secretary of Defense William Perry, voice = (703) 695-5261; fax =	(703)
695-1219; snail = 1000 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC 20301-1000;

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General John Shalikashvilli, voice =
(703) 697-9121; fax = (703) 697-8758; snail = 9999 Defense Pentagon, Room
2E872, Washington, DC  20318-9999.

Senior Advisor to the President for Policy & Strategy, George Stephanopoulos;
voice = (202) 456-1414; fax = (202) 456-2883; snail = 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.,
NW, Washington, DC  20502 

---------------
As usual, note the names and positions of those with whom you speak.   Send
copies of your correspondence to us, so we can keep a tally as the pressure
builds, and let us know what reactions, if any, you receive.  PLEASE post,
circulate and distribute this message as widely as possible; we must show the
military that we will not remain inactive while certain commands continue to
persecute those suspected of being gay.  Ask your friends, neighbors, family
and coworkers to call or write, too.  THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED DEDICATION
TO HELPING THESE SERVICEMEMBERS.

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________