Subject: Internet Services Frequently Asked Questions & Answers (FAQ)
From: [email-masked] (Kevin Savetz)
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 10:00:09 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.internet.services,alt.answers,news.answers

Archive-name: internet-services/faq
Last-Modified: 1993/8/9
Version: 1.2

INTERNET SERVICES FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS
Version 1.2 - 9 August, 1993

*** COPYRIGHT NOTICE
This document is Copyright 1993 by Kevin M. Savetz. All rights reserved. 
Permission for non-commercial distribution is hereby granted, provided 
that this file is distributed intact, including this copyright notice 
and the version information above. Permission for commercial 
distribution may be obtained from the editor. SHARE THIS INFORMATION 
FREELY AND IN GOOD FAITH. DO NOT DISTRIBUTE MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THIS 
DOCUMENT.

*** CHANGES IN THIS VERSION:
Added section 0.4: WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION IS ON THE INTERNET? (And, 
WHY ISN'T THERE AN ENCYCLOPEDIA ON THE INTERNET?) Moved old encyclpedia 
info from 2.7 to 0.4.
2.1: Updated info about mailing to America Online.
3.5: Updated author info for INTERNET: GETTING STARTED

*** HOW AM I DRIVING?
This document is new and in transition. If you notice that a frequently 
asked question is missing, please send it (and the answer!) to the 
editor for inclusion in this article.

Text in [square brackets] indicates unanswered questions and problems in 
this document. If you know the answer or have a comment, e-mail the 
editor. Please help me out and send it answers to some unanswered 
questions - for this FAQ, the best answers are _brief_ ones followed by 
information on where to go for more detailed information.

[Someone sent me info on mailing to WWIVnet, but I lost it. How do you 
do it?]

[What questions should be here but aren't?]
[1. What are mailing lists? What is a listserver, etc?]
[2. How big is the Internet?]
[Does anyone want to do either of these?]

[I have info for: "How do I access the Federal Register?" Gotta add it 
to the FAQ.]

*** TABLE OF CONTENTS
SECTION 0: THE BASICS
0.1: What is the purpose of this document?
0.2: What is alt.internet.services?
0.3: I'm new to the Internet. Where do I start?
0.4: What kind of information is on the Internet?
     Why isn't there an encyclopedia on the Internet?

SECTION 1: WHAT IS...?
1.1: What is Telnet?
1.2: What is anonymous FTP?
1.3: What is Usenet?
1.4: What is finger?
1.5: What is IRC?
1.6: What is Alex/Archie/Gopher/Hytelnet/Netfind/Prospero/
             Veronica/WAIS/WHOIS/WWW/X.500?
1.7: What is MUD/MUSH/MOO/MUCK/DUM/MUSE, etc.?

SECTION 2: HOW DO I...?
2.1: How do I send mail from the Internet to another network?
2.2: How do I access other systems from the Internet?
2.3: How do I contact a service provider?
2.4: How do I find out someone's e-mail address?
2.5: How do I get a name resolved?
2.6: How do I send e-mail to the White House?
2.7: How do I get stock market information?
2.8: How do I access the Library of Congress?

SECTION 3: I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT...
3.1: Where can I get Internet access in my area?
3.2: I need a BBS (on the Internet or in my area)!
3.3: Is there a list of all the Internet services?
3.4: How do I get information about the Internet online?
3.5: What's a good book to read for more information about the Internet?

SECTION 0: THE BASICS
*** 0.1: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS DOCUMENT?
The Internet Services Frequently Asked Questions and Answers List (FAQ) 
is intended to help reduce the number of often asked questions that 
appear on the newsgroup "alt.internet.services". It helps users with 
questions by providing instant access to their answers; it helps other 
readers of the newsgroup, who will have to read fewer of the questions 
they see over and over again; it helps everyone by (hopefully) reducing 
bandwidth.

This document should help you find answers to frequently asked 
questions. Usually, the answers are already available on the Net in one 
or more detailed documents. In these cases, this document will tell the 
reader where to find the information in question. Thus, when possible, 
this document will only point you to another document - that one may 
have the information you need, or it may point you somewhere else. (This 
may seem annoying at first, but offers multiple benefits. First, it 
reduces duplicated work. Second, it increases your chances of finding 
the most current, reliable information. Most importantly, it shows _how_ 
to find the information you need rather than simply giving you answers. 
"Teach a man to fish...")

This FAQ is purely a volunteer effort. Although every effort has been 
made to insure that answers are as accurate as possible, no guarantee is 
implied or intended. The editor and contributors have developed this FAQ 
as a service to Usenet. We hope you find it useful.

Please send your corrections, questions, and comments to the editor, 
Kevin Savetz, at "[email-masked]" (Internet) or "savetz" (America 
Online.) Please indicate what version of this document you are referring 
to.

This file is posted weekly to the newsgroup "alt.internet.services"
(on the 5th, 12th, 19th and 26th of each month) and posted twice monthly
to "news.answers" and "alt.answers" (on the 5th and 19th.) It is also
available via anonymous FTP: 
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/internet-services/faq

This means to use FTP to open a connection to "rtfm.mit.edu", login as 
"anonymous", and use your e-mail address as the password. Then, "cd" to 
the directory "/pub/usenet/news.answers/internet-services" and get the 
file "faq". This notation is used when appropriate throughout this 
document. [If I did it right, users of WWW (I think) should be able to 
point-and-shoot to get listed documents. Someone tell me if it works!]

If you do not have FTP access, you can obtain it via email by sending an 
email message to "[email-masked]" with a line in the body of 
the message reading "send usenet/news.answers/internet-services/faq". A 
program at that address will read your mail, process your request, and 
reply with mail containing the FAQ.

*** 0.2: WHAT IS ALT.INTERNET.SERVICES?
The following is excerpted from Scott McMahn's ([email-masked]) 
"Welcome to alt.internet.services" charter. [Where on the Net is the 
full charter available?]

The newsgroup "alt.internet.services" was created to handle information 
about services available on the Internet, for people who have Internet 
accounts and want to explore beyond their local computers, to take 
advantage of the wealth of information and services on the net.

Services for discussion include:
* things you can telnet to (weather, databases, library catalogs...)
* things you can FTP (pictures, sounds, programs, data...)
* clients/servers (like MUDs, IRC, Archie...)

"alt.internet.services" isn't for:
* discussion of utility programs like telnet, FTP, mail, and uudecode.
* basic new user questions.
* pleas for Internet access. (Use alt.internet.access.wanted for this.)

This is *NOT* alt.internet.access.wanted or alt.internet.new-users. 
Before asking a question here:
* Ask someone locally! Try the guy siting next to you, your
  professor, or the system administrator. 9 times out of 10 you
  won't have to post your question.
* Read the Usenet groups "news.newusers.questions" and
  "news.announce.newusers".
* Look through your .newsrc file for a more appropriate group. Questions
  about mail can go to "comp.mail.misc". Questions about access can go
  to "alt.internet.access.wanted". And so on. alt.internet.services is
  *not* some kind of default group to go to if you can't find any
  others.
* Ask yourself: Is this question about a service I can access through
  the Internet? If so, post.

*** 0.3: I'M NEW TO THE INTERNET. WHERE DO I START?
Welcome to the wonderful world of the Internet. Although this document 
may answer some of your basic questions, the Usenet newsgroup 
"alt.internet.services" isn't the place for questions like "How do I use 
telnet on my system?" or "How do I send electronic mail?" If you have 
access to the Usenet, read the newsgroups "news.newusers.questions" and 
"news.answers". If you have access to FTP, get copies of the 
introduction to the Internet documents mentioned at the end of this 
file. If you have access to users around you, ask them to show you the 
basics.

For a comprehensive overview of what the Internet is, how it works and 
the future of the Internet, read "FYI: What is the Internet?" (This file 
is available via anonymous FTP, and is listed in the final section of 
this document.)

*** 0.4: WHAT KIND OF INFORMATION IS ON THE INTERNET? (And, WHY ISN'T 
THERE AN ENCYCLOPEDIA ON THE INTERNET?)
The type of information you're likely to find on the Internet is free 
information, such as government documents, works with expired 
copyrights, works that are in the public domain, and works that authors 
are making available on an experimental basis to the Internet community. 
Conversely, some types of information you are not likely to find on the 
Internet, most notably, commercial works which are protected by 
copyright law.

For instance, there is no publicly-available Internet encyclopedia. 
There are indeed encyclopedias on the net, but they all are closed 
systems available only to students at a specific university, or 
employees at a certain company. The reason for this is about what you'd 
expect: the companies that make encyclopedias are in business to stay in 
business, and you don't stay in business by giving away your product. 
So, while the Internet does contain a vast array of Good Stuff, it can't 
always replace a trip to a decent library. If you can't find an online 
encyclopedia that's available to you, try the following:
    Ask your own library to make sure they don't have one.
    Use the encyclopedias on CompuServe, Prodigy, AOL, etc.
    Use a (gasp!) regular, hardbound encyclopedia.

Section 1: What is...
*** 1.1: WHAT IS TELNET?
Telnet is a program that allows you to login to another computer to run 
software there. Typically, you login either to access a "shell" command 
environment or some other utility, like a weather server or game. To 
telnet to a computer, you need to know it's name. This can either be in 
words, like "steer.sdsu.edu" or as a numeric address, like 
"130.191.1.11". Some services require you to connect to a specific 
"port" on the remote computer. Type the port number, if there is one, 
after the Internet address. (For example, "telnet nri.reston.va.us 
185".) For more information, anonymous FTP to 
ftp.sura.net:/pub/nic/network.service.guides
ftp.sura.net:/pub/nic/how.to.telnet.guide

*** 1.2: WHAT IS ANONYMOUS FTP?
FTP stands for file transfer protocol. FTP allows you to copy files from 
a remote computer to your local host. Thousands of sites provide 
anonymous FTP service, allowing you to download everything from online 
books, to satellite pictures of the weather, to public-domain utilities 
and games for your personal computer. 

Unless your computer is directly connected to the Internet (that is, if 
you are connected through an intermediary remote host) software for use 
on your home computer needs to be FTPed to your local host, then 
downloaded to your PC using Xmodem, Zmodem, Kermit or some other system 
-- a two-step process.) 

There is an FTP primer (and lots of other good information) in the 
"alt.bbs.internet" FAQ, which is posted periodically on 
"alt.bbs.internet" and "news.answers".

The following files are available on the Net to teach the basics of FTP. 
If you don't know how to use FTP to receive them, try asking someone 
else at your site.
For more information, use anonymous FTP to get 
ftp.sura.net:/pub/nic/network.service.guides/how.to.ftp.guide

The document "FYI: Searching for Treasure" (listed at the end of this 
file) lists some of the best FTP sites to find Macintosh, IBM, UNIX, 
virus-related and other software.

*** 1.3: WHAT IS USENET?
The Usenet is a global bulletin board, of sorts, in which millions of 
people exchange public information on every conceivable topic. For more, 
FTP to:
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/what-is-usenet/part1.Z
The file is also posted regularly to the Usenet newsgroup 
"news.answers.newusers".

*** 1.4: WHAT IS FINGER?
Finger is a program that returns information about a registered user on 
a computer. Typing "finger" alone will show the users logged into the 
system you are using. "finger @host.domain.foo" will show you who's 
currently using some other computer. Certain computers have variations 
on finger support, where "finger ron" will show info on ron at your 
site, and "finger [email-masked]" will show you all the Rons 
with accounts on a certain computer at MIT. Note that some finger 
programs don't take arguments, some will accept only a userid (the exact 
login name of a user,) and still others will search using a first or 
last name. If your system has manual pages installed, type "man finger" 
for more information. If your system has Internet access but not finger, 
there are several freely distributable versions, including GNU finger 
and BSD finger.

*** 1.5: WHAT IS IRC?
IRC is the Internet Relay Chat, a service where users can "talk" via 
typing to people around the world. See Scott Yanoff's "Internet 
Services" list for public IRC servers, or find out if your own system 
has the server installed. There are newsgroups specifically devoted to 
IRC, including:
alt.irc                 Internet Relay Chat material.
alt.irc.bot             Discussion of creating irc bots.
alt.irc.ircii           Discussion of the IRC II client program.
alt.irc.recovery        For those recovering from IRC addiction.
alt.irc.corruption      Is nowhere safe?
alt.irc.corruption.log.log.log  Discussions of corrupted loggers.
alt.irc.sleaze          Internet Relay Chat flamage.
alt.irc.sleaze.mark     More Internet Relay Chat flamage.

For more information, anonymous FTP to:
cs.bu.edu:/irc/support/tutorial*

*** 1.6: WHAT IS ALEX/ARCHIE/GOPHER/HYTELNET/NETFIND/PROSPERO/VERONICA/
         WAIS/WHOIS/WWW/X.500?
These are all part of a new generation of network information resources. 
For complete information, check John December's "internet-tools" list, 
available via anonymous FTP to
ftp.rpi.edu:/pub/communications/internet-tools
That document will point you to detailed information about each of these 
services.

Scott Yanoff's "Internet Services List" list will tell you how to access 
these services. Most feature on-line help and information. 

*** 1.7: WHAT IS MUD/MUSH/MOO/MUCK/DUM/MUSE (etc.)?
These are multi-user, text based, virtual reality games. According to 
the MUD FAQ: "A MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) is a computer program which 
users can log into and explore. Each user takes control of a 
computerized persona/avatar/incarnation/character. You can walk around, 
chat with other characters, explore dangerous monster-infested areas, 
solve puzzles, and even create your very own rooms, descriptions and 
items." There are an astounding number of variations on the MUD theme. 
Please see rec.games.mud for more information about them -- there are 
several very good FAQ postings there that detail MUDs, MUD clients and 
servers, and offer a complete, current MUD-list.

The most recent versions of the MUD FAQs are archived as: 
ftp.math.okstate.edu:/pub/muds/misc/mud-faq/*
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/alt.mud/*
[rec.games.mud]:_FAQ_#2_3:_MUD_Clients_and_Servers
[rec.games.mud]:_FAQ_#3_3:_RWHO_and__mudwho_
[rec.games.mud]:_FAQ_#1_3:_MUDs_and_MUDding

A few of the newsgroups out there related to muds:
rec.games.mud.announce  Informational articles about MUDs. (Moderated)
rec.games.mud.diku      All about DikuMuds.
rec.games.mud.lp        Discussions of LPMUD
rec.games.mud.misc      Various aspects of multiuser computer games.
rec.games.mud.tiny      Discussion of Tiny muds, IE MUSH, MUSE and MOO
alt.mud.bsx             BSX VR system.
alt.mud.german          For German-speaking MUD-er's.
rec.games.mud.admin     Administrative issues of multiuser dungeons.

SECTION 2: HOW DO I...?
*** 2.1: HOW DO I SEND ELECTRONIC MAIL FROM THE INTERNET TO ANOTHER 
NETWORK?
To learn the basics of e-mail on the Internet, FTP to:
ftp.sura.net:/pub/nic/network.service.guides/how.to.email.guide

In the best of worlds, our "global village" of electronic mail would be 
linked by one main street. Alas, it is actually composed of hundreds of 
small networks linked using "gateways." One main street is the Internet, 
but jutting off of it are dozens of side roads leading to other 
networks. It's always simplest to send mail to a recipient on the same 
online service as yourself - say, from your America Online account to 
another - but sometimes you may need to send mail to someone who doesn't 
have an account on the system you use. While it's usually possible to 
mail from one network to another, you need to know the right route to 
navigate. In order to send any mail, you need to know the online service 
your recipient uses, and her name (or username) on that service.

For a more complete listing of how to send mail from any random network 
to any other random network, read the "Inter-Network Mail Guide" edited 
by Scott Yanoff (formerly edited by John J. Chew.) It also tells how to 
mail from networks other than the Internet - which is beyond the scope 
of this document. You can fetch this guide by anonymous FTP in: 
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/internetwork-mail-guide

AMERICA ONLINE: "[email-masked]" Use all lower case and remove spaces. For 
example, "[email-masked]". AOL splits long Internet e-mail messages into 
chunks under 27K. (In the past the America Online gateway software 
truncated incoming files at 27K, which put a damper on receiving long 
text files BinHexed programs.) Users of the DOS-based PC/AOL software 
are limited to a maximum mail size of 8Kb. For all AOL users, funky 
characters are replaced with spaces: use printable ASCII only.

APPLELINK: "[email-masked]"

AT&T MAIL: "[email-masked]"

BITNET: "[email-masked]" (Note that the bitnet hostname is not 
necessarily the same as the Internet host name.) If this fails, try 
directing your mail through a gateway such as "cunyvm.cuny.edu", 
"pucc.princeton.edu", or "wuvmd.wustl.edu". The address would be as 
follows: "[email-masked]" (or cunyvm or wuvmd). 
This should help those with SMTP servers that are not quite up to date. 

BIX: "[email-masked]"

BMUG: "[email-masked]"

COMPUSERVE: "[email-masked]". Use the numeric CompuServe 
identification number, but use a period instead of a comma to separate 
the number sets. For example, to send mail to CompuServe user 17770,101 
- mail to "[email-masked]".

CONNECT: "[email-masked]"

DELPHI: "[email-masked]"

FIDONET: "[email-masked]". To send 
mail to a FidoNet user, you not only need the name, but the exact 
FidoNet address s/he uses. FidoNet addresses are broken down into zones, 
net, nodes, and points. To send to John Doe, who uses point 1 of node 2, 
which is in net 3 of zone 4 - you would send your mail to 
"[email-masked]".

GENIE: "[email-masked]" where "user" is their mail address. If a 
user tells you their mail address is "xyz12345" or something similar, it 
isn't. It usually looks like "A.BEEBER42" where A is their first 
initial, BEEBER is their last name, and 42 is a number distinguishing 
them from all other A.BEEBER's. As of July 1, 1993, All GEnie users may 
send and receive electronic mail.

INSTITUTE FOR GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS (IGC, or "PEACENET"): "[email-masked]"

INTERNET: send mail to "user@domain", where user is the recipient's 
login name, and domain is the full name and location of the computer 
where s/he receives e-mail. Examples are "[email-masked]" and 
"[email-masked]".

MCI MAIL: send your mail to "[email-masked]". "User" can be a numeric 
identification, or first and last names separated with an underline. 
(E.g. "[email-masked]" or "[email-masked]".)

PC LINK: "[email-masked]". Incoming mail is limited to 27K. (There is no 
pclink.com domain. All mail to the America Online, Inc. owned systems 
goes to aol.com.)

PRODIGY: Prodigy has been promising network mail for months, but hasn't 
delivered it yet. So currently, Prodigy users are cut off from mail to 
the outside world. Perhaps by the end of the year, Prodigy users will be 
able to send and receive mail to and from other networks. [This should 
start working any time now, stay tuned.]

QLINK: Q-Link, a Commodore 64/128-based service offered by America 
Online, Inc., is not on the Internet for technical reasons.

WELL: "[email-masked]"
[Someone sent me info on mailing to WWIVnet, but I lost it. How do you 
do it?]
*** 2.2: HOW DO I ACCESS OTHER SYSTEMS FROM THE INTERNET?
AMERICA ONLINE: You can't use AOL from the Internet due to the special 
graphics software.

BIX: telnet "x25.bix.com". At the "username" prompt, enter "bix".

COMPUSERVE: CompuServe is accessible from the Internet through the Merit 
system, but it is quite expensive. CompuServe does not distinguish 
logins from MERIT from other SprintNet logins. Merit is a service local 
to Michigan residents so all connections will be Eastern Standard Time 
regardless of where in the world you access Merit from. Pricing for 
using Merit: From 7PM - 8AM EST: $1.70/hour. From 8AM - 7PM EST: 
$11.70/hour. These prices are in addition to your normal CompuServe 
prices. The billing is all be handled by CompuServe. For further info 
about this service, contact : CompuServe (1-800-848-8199), SprintNet (1-
800-877-5045), or Merit, Inc.: (1-313-764-9430).

DELPHI: telnet delphi.com

DIALOG: telnet dialog.com

GENIE: They don't provide for logging in from the Internet, citing 
"security issues."

INSTITUTE FOR GLOBAL COMMUNICATION (IGC, or "PEACENET"): telnet igc.org

MCI MAIL: Cannot be accessed via the Internet. The only way users can 
currently access MCI mail is by dialing in via SprintNet/Tymnet or MCI 
Mail's own numbers. A tech support rep said that letting people check 
their MCI mail accounts from Internet isn't a high priority for now.

NEXIS/LEXIS: telnet lexis.meaddata.com or telnet 192.73.216.20 or telnet 
192.73.216.21. terminal type = .vt100a If characters do not echo back, 
set your terminal to "local" echo or "half duplex." You can also connect 
through Merit.

PC LINK: Can't be accessed due to the special graphics software.

PRODIGY: Can't be accessed due to the special graphics software.

QLINK: Q-Link, a Commodore 64/128-based service offered by America 
Online, Inc., is not on the Internet for technical reasons.

WELL: telnet well.sf.ca.us

*** 2.3: HOW DO I CONTACT A SERVICE PROVIDER?
AMERICA ONLINE: (800) 827-6364 voice
CONNECT: (408) 973-0110 voice
COMPUSERVE: (800) 848-8990 voice
DELPHI: (800) 544-4005 voice
DIALOG: (800) 334-2564 voice
DOW JONES NEWS/RETRIEVAL: (800) 522-3567 voice
GENIE: (800) 638-9636 voice
INSTITUTE FOR GLOCAL COMMUNICATIONS: (415) 923-0220 voice
NEXIS/LEXIS: (800) 227-9597 voice. Government Customers: 513-865-7223
MCI MAIL: (800) 444-6245 voice
PC-LINK (800) 827-8532 voice.
PRODIGY: New account information (800) 766-3449 voice [?]
         Membership services     (800) 759-8000 voice
WELL: (415) 332-4335) voice. E-mail: [email-masked]

*** 2.4: HOW DO I FIND OUT SOMEONE'S E-MAIL ADDRESS?
With so many computer systems and users in the world, it is impossible 
to keep a complete "white pages" of the Internet. The problem is 
compounded because people come and go from the net all the time. 
(Students are notorious for this.) Storing and updating that much 
information would be an impossible, daunting task. 

But, it's not impossible to find people on the net. Programs exist that, 
given some amount of information about your associate, can help you 
track down his or her e-mail address. These tools include Netfind, 
X.500, rtfm's usenet-addresses search, and WHOIS. The more information 
you know about your associate - name, place of business or school, and 
so on - the better your chances are. 

For a very complete answer to this question, read: "FAQ: How to find 
people's E-mail addresses", available from [email-masked] by 
sending "send usenet/news.answers/finding-addresses". This document is 
posted regularly to the Usenet group "news.answers".

There is another long document specifically for finding college 
students' e-mail addresses. It is also posted to "news.answers". It's 
available by anonymous FTP on "a.gp.cs.cmu.edub" as:
/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/mkant/Public/Email/college-email-1.text
/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/mkant/Public/Email/college-email-2.text
/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/mkant/Public/Email/college-email-3.text

*** 2.5: HOW DO I GET A NAME RESOLVED?
There should be a name resolver on your system. On UNIX, look for a 
program called "nslookup". Failing that, send an electronic message to 
"[email-masked]". In the body of the message, include a line 
like "site foo.bar.baz", where foo.bar.baz is the name of the site in 
question. You'll receive a mail message with the IP (Internet Protocol) 
address for the site.

*** 2.6: HOW DO I SEND E-MAIL TO THE WHITE HOUSE?
The official Party Line: "The White House e-mail system is under 
construction. This is a new project and suffers from all of the problems 
common to a startup operation. The Communications office is currently 
working on defining what this system will do, as well as trying to come 
up with equipment and staffing to make sure that it works. E-mail 
messages are currently being printed out and responses are being sent 
out via US Mail.

"Nobody wants this new venture to work more than the staff that has 
devoted so many hours to getting it up and running. But much time and 
effort will be required before the system is truly interactive. In the 
mean time, they will need a little patience from the electronic 
community. If you send a message to the White House, please include a US 
Post office address for replies."

On the Internet, send to: 
[email-masked] or [email-masked]

*** 2.7: HOW DO I GET STOCK MARKET INFORMATION?
Scott Yanoff's "Internet Services" list tells you how, but this question 
comes up so often its worth mentioning here. If you use a terminal with 
VT100, ANSI, or some other full-screen terminal emulation, "telnet 
rahul.net" and log on as "guest". Request the full-screen guest menu; 
request system information; request the market report. Note that this 
system, a2i Communications, sells full UNIX accounts with Internet 
access - the stock service is a feature for guests and paying users, and 
isn't guaranteed to be reliable.

People keep asking where to find historical stock information. As far as 
I know, this isn't available on the Net.

*** 2.8: HOW DO I ACCESS THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS?
(Thanks to Kathryn D. Ellis ([email-masked]) for the following info.)

Library of Congress Online Search: Telnet to "locis.loc.gov" 
(140.147.254.3). This will connect you to LOCIS (Library Of Congress 
Information System). You will see a menu for the Library of Congress 
Catalog Files, Federal Legislation, Copyright Information, Foreign Law, 
Braille and Audio Files, and a file of selected Organizations. This 
system is available Monday through Friday, 6:30 a.m. to 9:30 p.m.; 
Saturday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; and Sunday, 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. 
(all times USA, Eastern Time). Searching manuals are available by 
anonymous FTP and for sale. LOCIS accepts both 3270 and VT100 modes, but 
3270 works better.

Library of Congress MARVEL: Telnet to "marvel.loc.gov" (140.147.2.15), 
login as "marvel", or point your gopher client to "marvel.loc.gov", port 
70. LC MARVEL is a gopher-based campus wide information system that 
presents information about the Library of Congress such as facilities 
and services, reading rooms, copyright, services to libraries and 
publishers, etc., as well as many electronic resources accessible 
through the Internet.

Library of Congress Anonymous FTP site: FTP to "seq1.loc.gov" 
(140.147.3.12), login as "anonymous", send your email address as a 
password, "cd /pub" to get to the public directory. From the public 
directory, you can access several subdirectories such as online 
exhibits, information about the Library of Congress, information from 
the Federal Library and Information Center Committee (FLICC), etc.

SECTION 3: I NEED INFORMATION ABOUT...
*** 3.1: WHERE CAN I GET INTERNET ACCESS IN MY AREA? 
Check out PDIAL, a list of public access service providers offering 
dialup access to Internet connections. PDIAL lists both free and pay 
services all around the world. The PDIAL list is posted semi-regularly 
to alt.internet.access.wanted, alt.bbs.lists, ba.internet, and 
news.answers.

To receive PDIAL via e-mail, send mail with a subject line of
"Send PDIAL" to "[email-masked]". To receive future 
editions as they are published, send email with the subject
"Subscribe PDIAL" to the same address. The most recent PDIAL is also 
available by sending mail with a message body of 
"send usenet/news.answers/pdial" to "[email-masked]". To get 
PDIAL via FTP:
ftp.netcom.com:/pub/info-deli/public-access/pdial
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/alt.internet.access.wanted/P_D_I_A_L_(P)

For more information about service providers and getting on the 
Internet, read "FYI: Searching for Treasure" (FTP info at the end of 
this document.)

Another list of service providers, and tips on getting Internet access, 
is provided in the "alt.bbs.internet" FAQ, available via FTP as 
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/inet-bbs-faq.Z

If you are a college student or faculty, check with your campus computer 
center to learn about the online facilities available to you. Many 
schools offer free accounts to students and staff.

Next, turn to the Usenet community for assistance. Find out if there is 
a local newsgroup for your area or state. For instance, Columbus, Ohio 
users can check on the "oh.general" and "cmh.general" newsgroups. Many 
other areas have regional newsgroups. Ask the locals questions about the 
area - who better to know the answers?

If all else fails, post your plea on the Usenet newsgroup 
"alt.internet.access.wanted". Note that such requests aren't looked 
kindly upon if posted elsewhere.

*** 3.2: I NEED A BBS (ON THE INTERNET OR IN MY AREA)!
This is covered extensively in the "alt.bbs.internet" FAQ, available on 
the Usenet group "alt.bbs.internet" or via FTP as
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/inet-bbs-faq.Z

Also look for information on the Usenet newsgroups 
"alt.internet.access.wanted" and "alt.internet.services". Get the PDIAL 
list, mentioned at the end of this document. 

Also available is NIXPUB, a listing of freely accessible UNIX systems. 
It is posted regularily to the Usenet newsgroups "comp.misc", 
"comp.bbs.misc", and "alt.bbs". It is available via anonymous FTP as:
vfl.paramax.com:/pub/pubnet/nixpub.long
vfl.paramax.com:/pub/pubnet/nixpub.short
Or, you can receive it via e-mail. Send mail to 
"[email-masked]" (subject/message body unimportant.)

Also, for BBS information for your area code or specific interest, FTP 
to:
wuarchive.wustl.edu:/mirrors/msdos/bbslists

*** 3.3: IS THERE A LIST OF ALL INTERNET SERVICES?
No. There are just too many computers and too many services for anyone 
to accurately maintain a complete list. However, Scott Yanoff edits a 
great list of Internet services: the "Special Internet Connections List" 
is updated biweekly and is posted periodically to alt.internet.services 
and elsewhere. His list is as comprehensive as any list could ever be. 
It includes everything from where to FTP pictures from space, how to 
find agricultural information, public UNIX, online books and 
dictionaries, you name it. Check this list before posting the question 
"Where can I get <whatever> online?" - chances are, it's in there. 
Finger "[email-masked]" to find ways to receive this list.

There's also John December's "internet-cmc" list, which serves as a 
pointer to a slew of resources. Its purpose is to list pointers to 
information describing the Internet, computer networks, and issues 
related to computer-mediated communication. It points to Internet 
documents for new users, comprehensive Internet guides, as well as 
specialized and technical information (for instance, Internet growth 
studies, maps, and statistics.) It also lists electronic journals and 
tons of other good things. (FTP info at the end of this document.)

Also, check out the Internet Resource Guide: this is an excellent guide 
to major resources available on the network. Includes chapters on 
Computational Resources, Library Catalogs, Archives, White Pages, 
Networks, Network Information Centers, and Miscellaneous. (FTP info at 
the end of this document.)

*** 3.4: HOW DO I GET INFORMATION ABOUT THE INTERNET ONLINE?
Once you have an account, several good texts are available via FTP:

"FYI: New Internet User Questions" (RFC-1325) is FTPable as:
nic.merit.edu:/documents/fyi/fyi_04.txt

"FYI: Experienced Internet User Questions" (RFC-1207) is FTPable as:
nic.merit.edu:/documents/fyi/fyi_07.txt
This file is dated February 1991, and some of the information may be out 
of date. Many of the Q&As are of a technical nature. Covers the Domain 
Name System, SLIP & PPP, network management, routing and the like.

"FYI: Searching for Treasure" is FTPable as:
nic.merit.edu:/documents/fyi/fyi_10.txt
This document (dated January 1993) presents some of the "gold nuggets" 
of information and file repositories on the network. Very useful.

"FYI: Internet Users' Glossary" (RFC-1392) is FTPable as:
nic.merit.edu:/documents/fyi/fyi_18.txt
This is a comprehensive glossary concentrating mostly on terms specific 
to the Internet.

"FYI: What is the Internet?" is FTPable as:
nic.merit.edu:/documents/fyi/fyi_20.txt
This comprehensive paper covers the Internet's definition, history, 
administration, protocols, financing, and current issues such as growth, 
commercialization, and privatization. (May 1993.)

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Internet" (RFC-1118) will interest users 
who are more into the technical bits of the Internet. This document, 
also written by Ed Krol, explains how Internet addresses work and 
discusses issues such as trust and carrying capacity of the Internet. It 
is pretty much out of date, but people keep asking for it. The "Guide," 
as well as other useful texts for new users, is available at
wuarchive.wustl.edu:/mirrors/EFF/internet-info/*

"Internet Basics" is available by FTP as:
nnsc.nsf.net:/nsfnet/internet-basics.eric-digest

"Internet-cmc list", by John December, is a pointer to a slew of 
resources. Its purpose is to list pointers to information describing the 
Internet, computer networks, and issues related to computer-mediated 
communication. It points to Internet documents for new users, 
comprehensive Internet guides, as well as specialized and technical 
information (for instance, Internet growth studies, maps, and 
statistics.) It also lists electronic journals and tons of other good 
things. It is available via anonymous FTP as:
ftp.rpi.edu:/pub/communications/internet.cmc

"The Internet Companion" a beginner's guide to the net, is available by 
FTP. This is part 1 of the Tracy LaQuey book mentioned in the previous 
section.
world.std.com:/OBS/The.Internet.Companion

"Internet Resource Guide" is an excellent guide to major resources 
available on the network. Includes chapters on Computational Resources, 
Library Catalogs, Archives, White Pages, Networks, Network Information 
Centers, and Miscellaneous.
nnsc.nsf.net:/resource-guide/resource-guide.txt.tar.Z
nnsc.nsf.net:/resource-guide/resource-guide.ps.tar.Z

"Internet Services Frequently Asked Questions and Answers". That's the 
file you're looking at now. For the most recent version, FTP to:
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/news.answers/internet-services/faq
or send an email message to "[email-masked]" with a line in 
the body of the message reading "send usenet/news.answers/internet-
services/faq".

"Internet-tools list", by John December, contains information about a 
variety of network tools and information resources (such as Archie, 
Gopher, Netfind, WWW and so on.) It is available at:
ftp.rpi.edu:/pub/communications/internet-tools

"Inter-Network Mail Guide", contains a possibly-complete listing of how 
to send mail from any random network to any other random network. It 
also tells how to mail from networks other than the Internet - which is 
beyond the scope of this document. You can fetch this guide by anonymous 
FTP in: 
csd4.csd.uwm.edu:/pub/internetwork-mail-guide

"List of Lists". For a list of some of the currently available 
electronic mail mailing lists, FTP to:
nisc.sri.com:/netinfo/interest-groups
To be notified of future additions to the list, send mail to interest-
[email-masked].

"PDIAL", a list of public access service providers offering dialup 
access to Internet connections. PDIAL is posted semi-regularly to 
alt.internet.access.wanted, alt.bbs.lists, and news.answers. To receive 
PDIAL via e-mail, send mail with a subject line of "Send PDIAL" to 
"[email-masked]". To get it, FTP to either:
ftp.netcom.com:/pub/info-deli/public-access/pdial
rtfm.mit.edu:/pub/usenet/alt.internet.access.wanted/P_D_I_A_L_(P)

"Special Internet Connections List", edited by Scott Yanoff, is updated 
monthly and is posted periodically to alt.internet.services and 
elsewhere. It includes everything from where to FTP pictures from space, 
how to find agricultural information, public UNIX, online books and 
dictionaries, you name it. Check this list before posting the question 
"Where can I get <whatever> online?" - chances are, it's in there. 
Finger "[email-masked]" to find ways to receive this list.

"Surfing the Internet" is available as:
nysernet.org:/pub/guides/surfing.2.0.2.txt

"Zen and the Art of Internet" is the first edition of Kehoe's Book, 
detailed in the next section. The book is much longer, updated and 
improved over this online version. It is available as:
world.std.com:/obi/Internet/zen-1.0/zen-1.0.txt.Z
ftp.uu.net:/doc/internet/zen-1.0.txt.Z

If you have Usenet access, read some of the many newsgroups for new 
users and frequently asked questions: "news.answers", "comp.answers" and 
"news.newusers.questions".

*** 3.5: WHAT'S A GOOD BOOK TO READ FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE 
INTERNET?
(All prices in U.S. dollars.)
"Crossing the Internet Threshold: an Instructional Handbook" by Roy 
Tennant, John Ober and Anne Lipow. Library Solutions Press, 1993. (510) 
841-2636. An instructional package for librarians teaching Internet 
basics. $45. FTP for info:
simsc.si.edu:/networks/crossing.ad

"Exploring the Internet: a Technical Travelogue" by Carl Malamud. 
Prentice-Hall Publishers. (515) 284-6751.

"The Internet Companion, A Beginner's Guide To Global Networking" by 
Tracy LaQuey with Jeanne C. Ryer (Addison-Wesley Publishing.) The 
Companion includes a detailed history of the Internet, a discussion on 
"netiquette" (network etiquette), and how to find resources on the net. 
Useful for the computer-literate Internet novice. ISBN: 0-201-62224-6. 
1993. $10.95.

"Internet: Getting Started." Authors: Marine, Kirkpatrick, Neou, Ward. 
SRI Internet Information Services, PTR Prentice Hall. Published by PTR 
Prentice Hall, New Jersey. Explains how to join the Internet, the 
various types of Internet access, and procedures for obtaining a unique 
IP address and domain name. An extensive list of Internet access 
providers of all types is provided, including access outside of the 
United States. The guide explains many concepts essential to the 
Internet, such as the Domain Name System, IP addressing, protocols, and 
electronic mail. ISBN: 0-13-327933-2. 1993. Paperback, 360 pages. 
$28.00.

"Internet: Mailing Lists 1993 Edition." Franklin F. Kuo, Series Editor. 
SRI Internet Information Services. Published by PTR Prentice Hall, New 
Jersey. ISBN: 0-13-327941-3. Copyright 1993. Paperback, 356 pages. (Note 
that a current "list of lists" is also available online, both via Usenet 
and FTP. See the next section.) 

"The Internet Passport: NorthWestNet's Guide to Our World Online,4th 
ed.". This is published by NorthWestNet and the Nortwest Academic 
Computing Consortium, Inc. It is 516 pages and covers everything from 
net etiquette to supercomputers; very comprehensive. It costs $39.95 but 
schools and not-for-profit organizations can buy it for $19.95 plus 
shipping. NorthWestNet, 15400 SE 30th Place, Suite 202, Bellevue, WA 
98007. (206) 562-3000. E-mail for info: "[email-masked]".

"Internet Primer for Information Professionals: A Basic Guide to 
Internet Networking Technology". By Elizabeth Lang and Craig Summerhill, 
Meckler Publishing. ISBN: 0-88736-831-X. 1993. $37.50.

"Internet System Handbook" by Danial Lynch and Marshall Rose. Addison-
Wesley Publishing, 1993. $54.95.

"The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog" by Ed Krol (published by 
O'Reilly & Associates.) This book covers the basic utilities used to 
access the network and then guides users through the Internet's 
"databases of databases" to access the millions of files and thousands 
of archives available. It includes a resource index that covers a broad 
selection of approximately 300 important resources available on the 
Internet. ISBN: 1-56592-025-2. 1992. 400 pages. $24.95.

"Zen & the Art of Internet" by Brendan Kehoe. Published by Prentice 
Hall. This guide should give you a reference to consult if you're 
curious about what can be done with the Internet. It also presents the 
fundamental topics that are all too often assumed and considered trivial 
by many network users. It covers the basic utilities and information 
reaching other networks. An earlier, much less comprehensive version is 
available via FTP; see previous section. ISBN: 0-13-010778-6. 112 pages. 
1993. $22.00. 

In August, McGraw-Hill will release "The Internet Guide for New Users," 
by Daniel P Dern. Along with the obligatory topics such as telnet, FTP, 
and Archie, the book suggests how to get an Internet account and teaches 
enough UNIX to survive on the net.

### End of document ###