Subject: 6/25/98 P.E.R.S.O.N. Project news
From: Jean Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 14:45:57 -0700

1. AR: PFLAG statement on Title IX harassment agreement

============================================================

Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:23:05 -0800
From: Doug Case <[email-masked]>
To: (LGBT Political Activists and National Media),
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked],
Subject: Historic victory involving anti-gay harassment at school
Message-ID: <v03020901b1b6e56e2d04@[130.191.242.121]>

PARENTS, FAMILIES AND FRIENDS OF LESBIANS AND GAYS

June 23, 1998
Contact:  Carolyn Wagner, 501-444-0825,
Janice Hughes, 202-638-4200 x225

Arkansas Family Wins Historic Victory
Involving Anti-Gay Harassment at High School

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) is
hailing the historic agreement between the U.S. federal
government and an Arkansas public school system as an important
step towards protecting lesbian and gay youth in schools across
the country.

The agreement-between the U.S. Education Dept.'s Office of Civil
Rights and Fayetteville Public Schools-says that the Arkansas school
district must take specific steps to handle various forms of sexual
harassment, including "sexual harassment directed at gay and lesbian
students," according to the agreement which was sent to the family's
legal counsel, Lambda Legal Defense and Education Fund, on June 17.

It came in response to a complaint brought by an openly-gay
Fayetteville student, Willi Wagner, and his parents who charged
that the local school system had failed to act after he was
harassed repeatedly and beaten up by a gang of students.

"I see this as a very powerful tool to help parents, just like us,
ensure a safe school environment for our children," said Willi's
mother, Carolyn Wagner, who with her husband Bill, worked closely
with PFLAG (of which they are members) since 1996 to meet with federal
officials on the issue.

"A mother has certain dreams for her children, and they always
include that they be happy, healthy and safe," Wagner said. "Now,
parents of gay and lesbian children have some kind of recourse."

Under the agreement, the Fayetteville public school system must
overhaul its policies and procedures as well as train staff and
administrators.

This is the first time that new Title IX guidelines, issued last
year, have been applied to sexual harassment directed at a gay or
lesbian students. Title IX, of the Education Amendments of 1972,
is a federal statute that bars sex discrimination, including sexual
harassment. Schools must be in compliance with Title IX to receive
federal funding.

"We are relieved to hear that the U.S. Department of Education is
now making it clear to schools that they have an obligation to
protect all of our children," said PFLAG Executive Director Kirsten Kingdon.

"It is heart-wrenching for me to hear of the abuse that youth like
Willi Wagner have to endure-from other students, as well as from
administrators and teachers- just because of who they are," said
Kingdon, a mother, grandmother and a former special education lawyer.

As a parent and community-based group, PFLAG fills a special niche
in the work to make schools safer for gay and lesbian youth. Many
of PFLAG's 400-plus chapters are engaged in "safe schools"
activities at local high schools. These activities include teacher trainings
on gay and lesbian youth and providing scholarships to gay
and lesbian students..

Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) promotes
the health and well-being of gay, lesbian and bisexual persons, their
families & friends and acts to create a society that is healthy and
respectful of human diversity. Serving nearly 70,000 members, PFLAG
affiliates are located in 400-plus communities in the U.S. and abroad.

1101 14th St. NW,  Suite 1030  *  Washington, DC 20005  *  (202)638-4200
Fax: (202)638-0243  *  E-mail: [email-masked]  *  Web:www.pflag.org

Janice Hughes
PFLAG Communications Director
1101 14th St., NW (Suite 1030)
Washington, DC  20005
(tel) 202-638-4200 x225
(fax) 202-638-0243
[email-masked]
http://www.pflag.org

************************************************************************
This message has been distributed as a free, nonprofit informational
service, to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this
information for non-profit research and educational purposes only.   Please
do not publish, or post in a public place on the Internet, copyrighted
material without permission and attribution.  (Note:  Press releases are
fine to reprint.  Don't reprint wire stories, such as Associated Press
stories, in their entirety unless you subscribe to that wire service.)
Forwarding of this material should not necessarily be construed as an
endorsement of the content.  In fact, sometimes messages from anti-gay
organizations are forwarded as "opposition research."

===============================================================================

Jean Richter -- [email-masked]
The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project (Public Education Regarding Sexual Orientation Nationally)
CHECK OUT OUR INFO-LOADED WEB PAGE AT:
        http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/