Subject: 3/3/98 P.E.R.S.O.N. Project news
From: Jean Richter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 14:48:07 -0800

1. NH: News article on LGB youth dance
2. CA: Another scholarship opportunity for SF bay area students;
       how you can help educational equity in San Leandro

================================================================

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 06:32:22 -0700
From: Penny Culliton <[email-masked]> 
Subject: LGB Youth Dance in NH

>From the Concord (NH) Monitor

A night of normalcy for gay teens

No staring, snickering at this dance

Monday, March 2, 1998

By PAMELA M. WALSH
Monitor staff

Concord

A few teenagers excitedly scurried over to the deejay to make a request.
[Deleted article.  [email-masked]]

===============================================================================

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 06:43:35 -0700
From: Jessea NR Greenman <[email-masked]>
Subject: ANOTHER SF Bay Area scholarship

[from GLSEN/SFBA newsletter...]

GLSEN/SFBA & PG&E LBGEA SCHOLARSHIP

PG&E's Lesbian, Bisexual, Gay Employee Association sponsors scholarships with
GLSEN/SFBA for graduating high school seniors in all nine of the San
Francisco Bay Area Counties.  The deadline to apply for this year's
scholarship is March 15.  Application forms have been mailed to high school
counselors in all San Francisco Bay Area counties and an announcement should
be posted by now.  If you are in a high school in the area, please verify
that counselors have received and posted the scholarship announcement.

Last year, seven $1,000 awards were made.  This year the GLSEN/SFBA & PG&E
LBGEA Scholarship Awards Banquet will again be at Gabbiano's Restaurant, 1
Ferry Plaza, San Francisco on Friday, May 15.  The dinner price will be $45
and will help raise money for the scholarship fund.  More information will be
available in future newsletters.

===============================================================================

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 06:45:35 -0700
To: [email-masked]
From: Jessea NR Greenman <[email-masked]>
Subject: CA: HOW YOU CAN HELP IN SAN LEANDRO 

[from GLSEN/SFBA newsletter #47, March 1998]

HOW YOU CAN HELP IN SAN LEANDRO

Gay and pro-gay teachers and the principal at San Leandro High School
continue to receive heavy criticism from the "Christian" Right, for trying to
make San Leandro High School safer for students who are lesbian, gay, or
perceived as gay.  This includes Karl Debro who was the featured speaker at
our January GLSEN/SFBA Membership Meeting.  Debro was co-founder of the Gay
Straight Alliance at San Leandro High School.  Consequently the following is
still needed:

1) Attend one or more of the school board meetings.  If you wish to speak
during public testimony, fill out a yellow information card when you arrive.
 Meetings are Tuesdays, at 7pm at San Leandro City Hall, Council Chambers
Room, 835 E. 14th St., San Leandro, CA.

2) Send letters, faxes, or make phone calls to the district office and school
board, specifically supporting the principal and the teachers of San Leandro
High School who are trying to make the school safe and supportive for
everyone:
       Tom Himmelberg
       Superintendent of SLUSD
      14735 Juniper St.
       San Leandro, CA  94579
       phone: 510-667-3522              fax: 510-667-3569

      San Leandro Board of Education
      14735 Juniper St.
      San Leandro, CA  94579

3) To receive more info. mail a request to:
       Parents for Safe Schools Coalition
       P.O.Box 128, San Leandro  CA  94577
       or email: [email-masked]

4) or send a letter to the editor:
      San Leandro Times
      2060 Washington Ave.
      San Leandro, CA  94577

===============================================================================

Jean Richter -- [email-masked]
The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project (Public Education Regarding Sexual Orientation Nationally)
CHECK OUT OUR INFO-LOADED WEB PAGE AT:
        http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/