Subject: 8/19/97 P.E.R.S.O.N. Project news
From: [email-masked] (Jean Richter)
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:41:02 -0700

1. LGBT youth web rings 
2. APA discredits "reparative therapy"
3. 1997-98 GLSEN internships

========================================================

From: "David Mariner" <[email-masked]>
Organization: Advocates for Youth
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 13:24:59 +1100, EST
Subject: new web rings.

Two New Web Rings...
I've started two new web rings for glbt youth.  

Campus Links: is a web ring for college and university
glbt organizations.  Currently there are 8 participating 
campus groups.

Queer Youth Web Ring: is for homepages of glbt youth.  
Currently there are 7 queer youth homepages in the ring.

Info on either ring can be accessed through our main
page:  http://members.aol.com/ouryouth/

Thanks!
-David

-----------------------------------------------------------
David Mariner - Legislative Associate - Advocates for Youth
1025 Vermont Ave - Suite 200 - Washington DC  20005
202-783-4165 ext 38 (w) 202-347-2263 (f) 202-986-6049 (h)

home:  http://members.aol.com/marinerdc/index.html
       [email-masked]

CHECK OUT THE GLBT YOUTH RESOURCE DIRECTORY
http://members.aol.com/ouryouth/

==============================================================

Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:13:41 -0700
From: "Michael Grantham" <[email-masked]> 
Subject: APA Further Discredits 'Reparative Therapy'

________________________________________________________

NEWS from the
Human Rights Campaign

1101 14th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005
email:  [email-masked]
WWW:  http://www.hrc.org
________________________________________________________

     FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
     Thursday, Aug. 14, 1997

     AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION RESOLUTION ON `REPARATIVE THERAPY'
                  DELIVERS A BLOW TO ADHERENTS, HRC ASSERTS

     Psychologists Overwhelmingly Pass Resolution at
     National Convention in Chicago

     WASHINGTON -- The American Psychological Association today passed a
     resolution that represents a serious setback to proponents of
     so-called "reparative" or "conversion" therapy, according to the Human
     Rights Campaign.

        "These therapies amount to nothing more than psychological
     terrorism and are usually performed by practitioners who harbor
     intense bias against gay people," said David M. Smith, HRC's senior
     strategist. "These practitioners usually are affiliated with extremist
     religious groups that promote the illusion that sexual orientation can
     be changed to further their political aims."

        The resolution, which passed overwhelmingly at the APA convention
     in Chicago, asserts that there is no sound scientific evidence on the
     efficacy of these therapies. So-called reparative therapy seeks to
     convert gay people to heterosexuality, which many mental health
     professionals agree cannot be done. Some have compared these
     techniques to efforts to make some left-handed people right-handed;
     they may learn to use their right  hands but they still are innately
     left-handed.

        Supporters of reparative therapy demanded that the APA make a
     statement on these therapies because they have been under intensive
     debate within the profession and in the larger society.

        "This resolution reaffirms the fact that since there is nothing
     wrong with homosexuality, there is no reason that gay, lesbian or
     bisexual people should try to change their orientations," said Kim
     Mills, another HRC spokesperson. "We stand with the APA in calling for
     an end to discrimination against people based on their sexual
     orientation."

        The resolution strongly reaffirms that homosexuality is not a
     mental illness and that psychologists must not "participate in or
     condone discriminatory practices with sexual minority clients."

        In addition, the APA resolution calls on psychologists to
     "respect the rights of individuals, including sexual minority clients,
     to privacy, confidentiality, self-determination and autonomy." And it
     directs psychologists to obtain appropriate informed consent to
     therapy when working with sexual minority clients, including minors.

        The Human Rights Campaign is the largest national lesbian and gay
     political organization, with members throughout the country. It
     effectively lobbies Congress, provides campaign support and educates
     the public to ensure that lesbian and gay Americans can be open,
     honest and safe at home, at work and in the community.

                                     -30-

     ----------------------------------------------------------------------
     This message was broadcast to hundreds of LGBT campus groups from the
     National Coming Out Project at the Human Rights Campaign to inform
     students about important LGBT issues. If your group would like to
     receive these posts or be taken off the list, email [email-masked] with
     your request.
     ----------------------------------------------------------------------

============================================================================

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 13:39:48 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: GLSEN Internships 1997-98

Please find information about our new 1997-98 internship opportunities 
below. We still have a couple of opportunities available for this fall 
(both full and part-time) and "late applications" are still being 
accepted.

GLSEN Internships 1997-98

To:  All GLSEN Members/ Supporters
From: Kevin Jennings
Re: Availability of 1997-98 internships.

GLSEN Internships

Help End  Homophobia in Schools With a GLSEN Internship

"This internship was absolutely incredible! I was given the opportunity 
to work on concrete projects that are integral to GLSEN's sucess -- it 
amazes me that an intern can briefly become one of GLSEN's most important 
people!  One of the best things about this experience was the thought 
that the staff had given to utilizing my particular skills and abilities 
to design an experience that benefitted both me and GLSEN."
                                                --Asha Leong
                                                1997 Summer Field Services Intern

"GLSEN interns are an integral part of our GLSEN team. Their 
contributions and insights are invaluable, and have a real impact on our 
work."
--Kevin Jennings
GLSEN Executive Director

About the Internship

Some Common Questions. . .

What positions are available?
GLSEN offers internships in a variety of departments.  These include: 
Filed Services: Advocacy and Public Policy: In-School Programming; 
Development; Communications; and Special Projects.  Internships may be a 
single semester, or for the entire year. They may be full-time or 
part-time, although full-time interns are preferred. 

Field Services Associate
Description
This intern will work with the Field Director to manage GLSEN's network 
of over sixty local chapters. The Field Service Associate will help do 
community organizing by  facilitating communication between Chapters and 
the National office, assisting the Field Director in developing 
publications, and coordinating the distribution of National-Chapter 
communiques.

Skills/Requirements
Applicants must be organized and have the ability to handle multiple 
tasks simultaneously. Strong written and verbal skills are a must, and 
experience with Macintosh environments, email, and the world wide web are 
important. Experience with progressive community-based volunteer 
organizations and/or gay/lesbian issues in education will be very helpful.
Note: Beginning in Janaury 1998, Field Service internships will be 
offered through our San Francisco office as well as in New York.

Development Associate
Description
This intern will work with the Director of Development to identify and 
pursue funding for GLSEN's work.  The Development Associate will assist 
the Director on  a variety of fundraising endeavors, including events, 
foundation and corporate grants, direct mail, and individual gifts. This 
position offers those interested in a career in the not-for-profit world 
the opportunity to develop marketable skills and also provides valuable 
experience for those who wish to understand how to find the resources for 
their own projects and ideas.

Skills/Requirements
"People skills" are a must for this position, as is the ability to handle 
sensitive and delicate situations.  Applicants must be organized and have 
the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.  As with all 
itnernships, strong written and verbal skills are a must. 

Communications Associate
Description
This intern will work on both internal and external communications to 
educate both our memberships and the public about GLSEN's work.  Tasks 
will include development of in-house publications such as the GLSEN 
newsletter, maintenance of our web site (http://www.glsen.org/) and 
on-line communications, development of professional materials for our 
publications catalogue, and work with print and electronic media to 
promote GLSEN's visibility and to use the media as a tool for advocacy on 
LGB issues.

Skills/Requirements
As might seem obvious, communication skills are a high priority here: 
strong written and verbal skills are a must.  Applicants must be 
organized and have the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.  
Familiarity with the worldwide web, Macintosh computer envrionments, 
desktop publishing programs such as Quark, and other computer-related 
skills are strong advantages. 

Advocacy and Public Policy Associate
Description:  This intern will work on projects designed to change the 
climate in our communities so that LGB issues might be more easily 
addressed in schools.  Tasks will include outreach to mainstream 
education and LGBT community organizations, research and development 
concerning legislative and policy initiatives, and developing 
communication strategies to "spread the word" on these issues.
Skills/Requirements:  The ability to do both library and Internet-based 
research is a must for this position, as are strong written and verbal 
skills and familiarity with a Macintosh environment.  Sensitivity to 
legislative and political dynamics would also be a plus, as will be 
familiarity with mainstream education and LGB community organizations. 

In-School Programming Associate
Description:  This intern will work to develop and promote materials for 
use directly in schools.  Tasks will include publication development, 
provision of resources to individuals and schools, and technical 
assistance to Gay-Straight Student Alliances through our Student Pride 
Project.

Skills/Requirements:  Familiarity with K-12 education issues is a must, 
as are strong written and verbal skills and familiarity with a  Macintosh 
environment.  

Special Projects
Description:  Special Project interns tend to fall into two categories: 
those for whom a regular presence in the GLSEN offices in new York and 
San Francisco is impossible, who work on projects that can be carried out 
from remote locations (usually of a research nature); and those who have 
a project for which they re are seeking academic credit.  1996-97 special 
project interns, for example, worked on a redesign of our web site and a 
research projects on school board races. 

Skills/Requirements:  Given that these projects often are carried out 
without much direct supervision from staff, Special Project interns must 
posses strong project management skills, an entrepreneurial outlook, and 
the ability to work independently.  As with all internships, strong 
written and verbal skills  are a must.

When will I work?
Full-time interns work during regular GLSEN office hours (9-6, 
Monday-Friday), and some weekend work may be required as projects 
dictate.  Part-time interns work out their schedules with their 
supervisors.  Interns must be able to start on or before the latest start 
date and end no earlier than the earliest end date for the internship 
(see schedules and deadlines). 

Where will I work?
You will work in the GLSEN National office on West 27th Street in New 
York City or, beginning in Janaury 1998, at our field office on Mission 
Street in San Francisco. Room and board can not be provided by GLSEN.

What will I make?
The internship will pay $200 weekly for full-time interns, and 
commensurate for time worked for part-time interns.  Higher salaries are 
may be possible for students eligible for the Federal Work-Study program, 
and students eligible for Federal Work Study are encouraged to apply.  
GLSEN will also work with academic institutions in order to design 
programs for which interns may receive academic credit.

How do I get this internship?
If interested, submit a letter of interest that explains why you want a 
particular internship and what skills you would bring to it (please be 
specific about computer skills), your resume, and two letters of 
reference.  Please also indicate if there are other positions of interest 
should this internship not be available to you.  Note application 
deadlines below: applicants are free to contact us after these deadlines, 
but need to keep in mind that desired positions will be filled by the 
dates noted here should qualified individuals apply.

Schedules and Deadlines

                         Application Due           Notification   Start Date               End Date

Fall 1997                   Aug. 1                            Aug. 15                 Sept. 15               December 10
Winter 1998        Nov. 1                             Nov. 15                 Jan. 2                          January 30
Spring 1998        Nov. 15                           Dec. 1                    Feb. 2                         May 15
Summer 1998        April 17                  May 1                      June 1                        August 25

Mail or Fax 
Applications To:

GLSEN Internship Program
121 West 27th Street, Set. 804
New York, NY 10001
fax: 212-727-0254
email: [email-masked]

In-person and/or phone interviews will be conducted with finalists.  All 
applicants will be notified of their application status on or before the 
notification date (see schedules and deadlines).

Room and Board are not included in the internship. GLSEN can not find 
apartments for interns.

About GLSEN
The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) is the only 
national organization of gay and straight teachers and community members 
working to end homophobia in K-12 schools. Founded in the Boston area in 
1990, GLSEN today has over sixty local chapters. GLSEN is a 
community-based organization that works to create change through 
advocacy, in-school programming, and community organizing.

Mission Statement
The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network strives to assure that 
each member of every school community is valued and respected, regardless 
of sexual orientation.  We believe that such an atmosphere engenders a 
positive sense of self, which is the basis of  educational achievement 
and personal growth.  Since homophobia and heterosexism undermine a 
healthy school climate, we work to educate teachers, students, and the 
public at large about the damaging effects these forces have on youth and 
adults alike.  We recognize that forces such as racism and sexism have 
similarly adverse impacts on communities, and we support schools in 
seeking to redress all such inequities.  GLSEN seeks to develop school 
climates where difference is valued for the positive contribution it 
makes in creating a more vibrant and diverse community.  We welcome as 
members any and all individuals, regardless of sexual orientation or 
occupation, who are committed to seeing this philosophy realized in K-12 
schools.

The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Education Network (GLSEN) is an equal 
opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sexual 
orientation. Members of groups historically under-represented in the GLB 
movement are especially encouraged to apply.

GLSTN 
121 West 27th Street, Suite 804
New York, NY 10001
212-727-0135
http://www.glstn.org
________________________________________________________
Do not hit reply to send an email to GLSTN. GLSTN's email address is 
[email-masked]
Staff Addresses:
   Deidre Cuffee-Gray: [email-masked]
   Janice Goldfarb: [email-masked]
   Kevin Jennings: [email-masked]
   John Spear: [email-masked]
   Student Pride: [email-masked]
   GLSTN Interns: [email-masked]

========================================================
GLSTNAlert is a GLSTN news bulletin service of the The Gay, Lesbian, and 
Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN). 
========================================================
To Unsubscribe from GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "unsubscribe" in the subject line (no quotes and note the 
lack of space in GLSTNAlert).
========================================================
To Subscribe to GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "subscribe" in the subject line (no quotes and note the 
lack of space in GLSTNAlert). Also: please write your name in the message 
portion of your email.
========================================================

====================================================================

Jean Richter -- [email-masked]
The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project (Public Education Regarding Sexual Orientation Nationally)
CHECK OUT OUR INFO-LOADED WEB PAGE AT:
        http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/