Subject: PROJECT 21 Bulletin
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 13:43:48 -0400

_________________________________________________

 CLASS  ACTIVIST   [ April, 1996 ]
 _________________________________________________

 News & Notes from Project 21:  
 A National Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Coalition for Educational Equity 

C H A N G I N G   C O U R S E S  .  .  . 

Already, 1996 has become a year of unprecedented attacks on the educational
rights of lesbian, gay and bisexual children.  In school districts, state
legislatures and Congressional offices, homophobic censors have renewed the
vigor of their assault on textbooks and other educational media.  A few
examples:

     --  In New Hampshire, a high school principal censored letters to the
student newspaper that were critical of a district policy prohibiting
discussion of homosexuality; the letters themselves were deemed to violate
the policy.  

     --  In Missouri, the state Assembly crafted legislation prohibiting
schools from using any medium --"pamphlet, leaflet, book or booklet, banner,
sign, poster, or any other matter whether printed or displayed" -- that
presented homosexuality "as an acceptable lifestyle."  

     --  The Oklahoma House of Representatives drafted a resolution stating
that "homosexuality, lesbianism and bisexuality should not be taught as a
natural lifestyle in public schools."  

     --  Pennsylvania legislators are considering the "Parental Rights
Amendment," which would vest in homophobic parents and school boards a
"supreme authority" for determining truth.  

     --  Another "parental rights" bill was recently introduced in the
California state legislature; it would amend the state's Education Code to
protect the special rights of sex-negative censors and homophobic bigots.

Of course, none of these efforts has gone unchallenged.  1996 has also been a
year of unequaled organizing for educational equity and curriculum reform.
 Dozens of activist groups and community organizations have launched new
initiatives to challenge homophobia in the classroom and in the curriculum.
 To get involved with, or simply learn more about, such efforts, contact:

     --  Project 21: A National Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual Coalition for
Educational Equity, 1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103,
tel. 415-861-2244, fax 415-826-5203, e-mail [email-masked].

     --  The P.E.R.S.O.N Project, c/o Jessea Greenman, e-mail
[email-masked], URL http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/.

     --  National Education Association/Gay and Lesbian Caucus, P.O. Box
3559, York, PA 17402-0559, tel 717-848-3354, fax 717-843-9790, e-mail
[email-masked] or [email-masked].

     --  Lesbian and Gay Teachers Association, P.O. Box 021052, Brooklyn, NY
11202-0023, tel. 718-596-1864.

     --  National Center for Lesbian Rights, Youth Project, 870 Market
Street, Suite 570, San Francisco, CA 94102, tel. 415-392-6257, fax
415-392-8442, e-mail [email-masked].

     --  The Monroe Coalition for Democracy Web Page, URL
http://www.ggw.org/freenet/m/mcd.

     --  National Coalition of Education Activists, P.O. Box 679, Rhinebeck,
NY 12572, tel. 914-876-4580. 

     --  Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers Network, 122 W. 26th Street,
Suite 1100, New York, NY 10001, tel. 212-727-0135, fax 212-727-0254, e-mail
[email-masked], URL  http://www.glstn.org/freedom/.

In addition to these organizations, a number of recent publications offer
useful resources for activists, students, or educators.  These include:  

     --  "School's Out:  The Impact of Gay and Lesbian Issues on America's
Schools," by Dan Woog (Boston:  Alyson Publications, 1995).

     --  "Gay & Lesbian Students:  Understanding Their Needs," by Hilda F.
Besner and Charlotte J. Spungin (Washington, DC:  Taylor & Francis, 1995).

     --  "One Teacher in 10:  Gay and Lesbian Educators Tell Their Stories,"
edited by Kevin Jennings (Boston:  Alyson Publications, 1994)

     --  "The High School Journal" [Vol. 77, Nos. 1 & 2], Special Issue:
 Educational Practice and Theory for Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Adolescents ,
edited by Gerald Unks (Chapel Hill:  The University of North Carolina Press,
1994).

     --  "Being Different," by Larry Dane Brimner (New York:  Franklin
Watts/Grolier Publishing, 1995).  

_________________________________________________

Project 21 was founded in 1990 to advocate for public policy and educational
practices that resist homophobic bigotry and heterosexist ignorance,
throughout the curriculum, and at every grade level (K-12).  For more
information, contact:  Al Kielwasser or Bonnie Haley, Directors, Project 21,
1360 Mission Street, Suite 200, San Francisco, CA 94103, tel. 415-861-2244,
fax 415-826-5203 (ext. 8) or 415-861-4893, e-mail [email-masked], URL
 http://www.ccnet.com/gaytrek/glaad.html.

_________________________________________________

"Class Activist" is an information service of Project 21 and the Gay &
Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation/San Francisco.  These monthly bulletins
provide general news briefs, action alerts, and resource guides concerning
educational equity, textbook reform and other curriculum advocacy issues.
 This material may be printed, published or posted, under this or any title,
in whole or part, without prior permission. 

Distribution of the "Class Activist" is supported by a grant from The
Columbia Foundation.