Subject: MN: More info on Out for Equity || New Organization: We Are Family
From: [email-masked] (Jean Richter)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 14:46:30 -0800

___________________________________________________________________________
__

GLC Action Council                                     12 December 1996
 ACTION
   ALERT!                                  Contact: Ann Marie DeGroot
                                                    Bart J. Cannon
                                             (612) 822-0127 or 
800-800-0350

The Facts:
__________

Once again the Saint Paul Public School's program Out For Equity is under
fire.  Extremist organizations have targeted Out For Equity for extinction
in the past, and recent coverage of the program by the Pioneer Press is
preparing the way for yet another assualt.  Out For Equity, a program
serving public school students, staff and families, believes that "every
student, staff and family deserves a safe, supportive school environment
that fosters positive self esteem, respect for others and academic
success."  This successful and highly needed program will be recommended 
to
the Saint Paul school board for inclusion in the new budget by
Superintendent Curman Gaines.

Though under political attack, Out For Equity has continued since its
founding in 1994 to work to make certain that GLBT students, staff and
families are able to learn and work in safe and effective schools.  This
program, despite its current strong support within the educational 
setting,
cannot survive without a long-term commitment from the larger community.

A Community Response
____________________

Upcoming discussions in the school board are certain to attract a
considerabloe effort by anti-human rights groups to undermine the program.

*  Superintendent Gaines' recommendation to continue the Out For Equity 
program
   in the district general fund is an important step forward in securing 
full
   access for all GLBT youth in Saint Paul's Public Schools.
   He deserves our support in this decision.

*  Saint Paul school board memebers need to know that this program is
   desparately needed and that it has earned th broad-based community 
support it
   now carries.

What you can do
_______________

It is vital that the community's voice be heard!
Write the Pioneer Press in support of Superintendent Gaines' 
recommendation
to the Saint Paul School Board to fund Out For Equity.  Further, take the
time to write or phone the members of the school board and Superintendent
Gaine's office and let them know of your support for this important
program.

Board of Education
Independent School District #625
Saint Paul Public Schools
360 Colborne Street
Saint Paul, MN  55102

Superintendent Curman Gaines
360 Colborne Street
St. Paul, MN  55102
(612) 293-5147

[You may also wish to write to the local paper:
St. Paul Pioneer-Press,345 Cedar Street,St. Paul,MN,55101
        -(Fax 612-228-5416, print run 201,860) "BULLETIN BOARD" call-in comment line (comments published) -  (612) 228-5579   -NOTE:  You will be asked to leave only your first name, initials, or other identifying name of your choice, along with your city and telephone number so they can call you "in case" they have any questions. 

Any comments on the appropriateness of funding this effort with "taxpayer dollars"
would probably be helpful.]

========================================================

GLSTNAlert is a GLSTN news bulletin service of the The Gay, Lesbian, and 
Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN). 

========================================================

To Unsubscribe from GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Unsubscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes 
and note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert).

========================================================

To Subscribe to GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Subscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes and 
note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert). Also: please write your name in 
the message portion of your email.

========================================================

[Here's a quick bit of info on another similar program in Minneapolis:]

Just a quick clarification on the Out 4 Equity Program. It isn't the only 
program of its kind in the state. Minneapolis has its own similar 
program, Out 4 Good, which was started in the fall of 1995, and is funded 
using grants and with support from the school district. For more 
information on Out 4 Good contact: Leo Treadway, Program Director, 
Student Activities, Minneapolis Public Schools, 807 NE Broadway St., 
Minneapolis, MN, 55413.

============================================================

Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 11:21:27 -0500 (EST)
From: Tom Myers <[email-masked]>
Subject: Understanding and Acceptance of Gay & Lesbian Youth

I am writing to introduce you to We Are Family.  

WAF is a young non-profit organization that is committed to take a
non-threatening, non-
confrontational message of understanding and acceptance of lesbians and gays
into the 
straight community by means of direct mail.  Our particular focus is the
groups which 
include individuals most likely to deal with young people--teachers,
guidance counselors, 
ministers, school librarians, psychologists--, and our immediate
geographical focus is the 
Southeast.  What we are doing can easily be extended to other areas.  

We have published a pamphlet that I will send if you will forward a surface
address.  We 
are trying to build a network of people across the country who are
supportive of what we 
are doing.

Tom Myers
We Are Family Foundation
PO Box 30734
Charleston  SC  29417
803-937-0000

============================================================

Jean Richter -- [email-masked]
The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project (Public Education Regarding Sexual Orientation Nationally)
CHECK OUT OUR INFO-LOADED WEB PAGE AT:
        http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/