Subject: Fwd Re: New Video Available || MI teacher resigns

From: [email-masked] (Jessea NR Greenman)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 06:52:58 -0700 (PDT)

------begin forwarded message------

>From soc.support.youth.gay-lesbian-bi if you want to get the
>original post.
-T

>In a previous article, [email-masked] (RobGuzman) says:

>Announcing the availability of a new educational video targeting gay,
>lesbian, bisexual and questioning youth.
>
>"Inside Out," a new educational video designed to reach queer youth and
>their heterosexual peers is now available from Lifejackets Productions at
>1-800-366-2150. This video was produced by Special Programs for Youth of
>the San Francisco Department of Public Health.
>
>This 13 minute video has two main purposes: First, to educate young gay,
>bisexual, and questioning males about HIV prevention. Second, to educate
>heterosexual youth to help them understand some basic issues that queer
>youth can face and how they can be supportive. It is designed particularly
>for middle school age youth in the process of forming their sexual
>identities, but will also be helpful for older youth, not to mention
>teachers and school administrators.
>
>The bulk of the non technical work on this video was done by young queers,
>from conceiving of and creating the script, to acting and being
>interviewed in the production. The thirteen youth on camera are all
>eighteen and under and a majority are people of color.
>
>This video takes a different approach than many HIV prevention videos.
>Rather than going over the safe sex basics, it focuses on self-esteem and
>the inherent right of every young person to physical and emotional well
>being.
>
>There are six segments after an introductory dramatic scene.
>1. How does it feel to tell someone you're gay?
>2. When should someone come out?
>3. When someone's afraid of gays, it can hurt people.
>4. How should people react?
>5. You have a right to be who you are.
>6. You have a right to be healthy.
>
>Included with the video is a detailed seven page discussion guide, as any
>classroom discussion after showing the video will likely be more powerful
>than the video itself.
>
>As the producer of this video, I feel that having seen such a video when I
>was struggling with being gay and feeling isolated in the suburbs would
>have shown me that I was not alone. Showing this video to young people can
>make a difference. Is your local school district doing anything to support
>queer youth?
>
>As much as I wish it was available for free, it is still relatively
>inexpensive for a health education video at $24.95. If you buy it, please
>feel free to copy it and the discussion guide for use within your school
>or organization as long as it is done so in order to reach it's target
>audience.
>
>Please contact me (Rob) with any questions at: [email-masked] or call
>1-800-366-2150 to order it. I will gladly email a text version of the
>discussion guide and am working on developing a small QuickTime (Mac only)
>sample movie.
>
------END forwarded message------

-----------------------
From: Bridges Project of the American Friends Service Committee
<[email-masked]>
Subject: Job Announcement

Hi Jessea!  Could you please you post this when you get a chance.  We're
trying to spread the word to all those who may be interested.

Thanks,
Jenie Hall
Bridges Project

JOB DESCRIPTION * BRIDGES PROJECT COORDINATOR

ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: The National Advocacy Coalition on Youth and
Sexual Orientation, sponsored by the Hetrick-Martin Institute, addresses
public policy issues related to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender youth
through the collaboration of a broad spectrum of national and
community-based organizations.  NACYSO's Bridges Project, originally
established by the American Friends Service Committee, provides information,
resources, and assistance to GLBT youth and their adult allies nationwide.

POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Bridges Project Coordinator is responsible for
managing and implementing the activities of the Bridges Project of the
National Advocacy Coalition on Youth and Sexual Orientation.   The Bridges
Project Coordinator reports to the NACYSO Director.

LOCATION: Washington, DC                DESCRIPTION: Full Time Position

RESPONSIBILITIES
· Track and maintain up-to-date research, information and program models on
issues affecting gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender (GLBT) youth;
· Respond to requests for information and referrals from a broad range of
individuals and organizations;
· Maintain and manage national database of GLBT youth advocates and service
providers;
· Oversee development and production of CROSSROADS newsletter;
· Manage and implement future Bridges Project development, including
technical assistance and training models on issues affecting GLBT youth;
· Staff liaison to NACYSO's Work Groups;
· Represent NACYSO at meetings, conferences, etc.;
· Provide monthly activity report and bi-annual report on Bridges Project
activities;
· Supervise NACYSO interns;
· Other responsibilities as identified by NACYSO Director

QUALIFICATIONS
· Experience providing information, technical assistance, presentations
and/or training to a nationwide constituency (or comparable experience on a
state/local level).  Experience developing written resources and publications;
· Demonstrated understanding of issues affecting GLBT young people and
awareness of organizations and resources available in the field of GLBT
youth services;
· Demonstrated experience working with multiracial/multicultural groups and
groups or programs addressing needs of low income people and/or people of
color.  Commitment to ending exclusion or denial of rights based on sex,
race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation,
age, disability, HIV status, gender identification, or any other category
protected by law;
· Strong computer skills including word processing, database and graphic
design preferred;
· Vision, creativity, self-motivation, strong verbal communication, writing,
and organizational skills & ability to work independently;

Applicants may send cover letter, resume, salary history, and writing sample
to Rea Carey; Director; NACYSO; 1711 Connecticut Avenue, NW; Suite 206;
Washington, DC  20009-1139.

NACYSO's sponsor, the Hetrick-Martin Institute is committed to providing
equal opportunity in employment for all persons regardless of gender, race,
color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, age,
disability, HIV status, gender identification, or any other category
protected by law.

The Bridges Project is moving to DC to join with the National Advocacy
Coalition on Youth and Sexual Orientation.   We are merging in August to
create the National Youth Advocacy Coalition and will focus our attentions
on both advocacy and resource provision around LGBT youth issues.  We will
continue to distribute and develop our information packets as well as our
national newsletter CROSSROADS.  As of August 15, our new address will be
1711 Connecticut Ave, NW, Suite 206, Washington, DC 20009-1139,
202-319-7596. Write to or call us if you have any questions.  You can also
check out our web page at http://www.afsc.org/bridges.htm<<<<<

"Those who look for opportunities to hate, miss opportunities to love."  --
Carmen Sylva
-----------------------

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
OK TO RE-POST.  Jessea Greenman <[email-masked]>
The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project (Public Education Regarding Sexual Orientation
Nationally)
CHECK THIS OUT FOR TONS OF INFO - -
http://www.youth.org/loco/PERSONProject/   Please cc us (for our files) on
correspondence you send or receive re our action alerts.

"Out of 19 top industrial nations, the US took 17th place in
public spending for education in 1992...and came in last
for compensation of teachers."  __The Nation__