Subject: GLSTN Launches "Gay History Tour"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 06:04:56 -0400

GLSTN News

GLSTN
122 West 26th Street, Suite 1100
New York, NY 10001
Tel: 212.727.0135
Fax: 212.727.0254
Email: [email-masked]
Web: http://www.glstn.org/respect/

For Immediate Release

Contact: Deidre Cuffee-Gray, Media Coordinator 212-727-0135

GLSTN Launches "Gay History Tour" in Honor of Lesbian/Gay/Bisexual 
History Month

Visits to 7 Cities Planned for author/Executive Director Kevin Jennings: 
Curriculum Packet Made Available to Schools

(October 3, 1996 - New York, NY) The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Teachers 
Network (GLSTN) announced today that it has arranged a speaking tour 
featuring its Executive Director, Kevin Jennings, to support local 
chapter activities recognizing October as Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual 
History Month.  Jennings is the author of Becoming Visible: A Reader in 
Gay and Lesbian History for High School and College Students, the 
first-ever text on the subject for high school use and will present his 
slide show entitled "From Columbus to Clinton: 500 Years of America's 
Lesbian and Gay History," which illustrates material from Becoming 
Visible using archival photos and other sources.  1996 marks the third 
observance of October as Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual History Month.
 
"I'm excited to 'take the show on the road'," said Jennings, who will 
speak in New York (Oct. 9), Charlotte (Oct. 20), Atlanta (Oct. 22), 
Stockton, Calif. (Oct. 24), Oakland (Oct. 26), Minneapolis-St. Paul (Oct. 
28), Chicago (Oct. 29), and Providence (Nov. 13). A former high school 
history teacher, Jennings added "All lesbian/gay people need to know our 
history -- it's critical to our sense of self-worth and belonging in this 
county.  And our straight friends need to know it, too, as it will help 
them understand and appreciate what we have contributed to this nation's 
story."  All presentations are open to the general public, Jennings 
noted.  "I believe all kinds of people -- high school students, lesbian 
and gay adults, history teachers, and so forth -- would benefit from the 
information presented, " said Jennings.  "I promise it won't be like 
those dry, boring classes you sat through in high school!"

In a related effort, GLSTN announced the availability of its 1996 
Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual History Month Curriculum Packet, which 
includes a bibliography, curriculum materials such as a timeline and a 
quiz, and ideas for ways in which History Month might be celebrated in 
both schools and the broader community.  The packet costs $5 plus $1 for 
shipping and may be ordered using a credit card by calling 212-727-0135.

                                                --END--

Reporters Note: Image of Mr. Jennings are available electronically in 
JPEG file or by calling 212-727-0135.  Reporters wishing local contacts 
with GLSTN chapter in the cities Mr. Jennings will visit should contact 
Deidre Cuffee-Gray at 212-727-0135 or via the Internet at 
[email-masked]. 

With over forty chapters, and a membership of over four thousand 
teachers, parents, and concerned citizens, GLSTN is the largest national 
organization working to insure that schools are places where all people 
are respected and valued, regardless of sexual orientation.  

========================================================

GLSTNAlert is a GLSTN news bulletin service of the The Gay, Lesbian, and 
Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN). 

========================================================

To Unsubscribe from GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Unsubscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes 
and note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert).

========================================================

To Subscribe to GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Subscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes and 
note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert). Also: please write your name in 
the message portion of your email.

========================================================