Subject: Elizabethtown (PA) Action Alert
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:29:42 -0400

Action Alert

Elizabethtown (PA) Schools Ban  "Pro-Homosexual Concepts"

 The Elizabethtown Area Schools has touches off a controversy due to its 
passage of the following "pro-family" resolution:

"Whereas the traditional family, of one man married to one woman and 
their children through birth or adoption, has been the norm in all 
civilized societies throughout history;

Whereas, the traditional family , as the fundamental building block for a 
healthy society, is an ideal to which all should aspire;

Whereas the traditional family bears the primary responsibility for the 
moral instruct of children; and

Whereas the traditional family is under relentless attack by those who 
want to redefine family  to include homosexual and lesbian couples and by 
those who want to indoctrinate children in pro-homosexual propaganda 
against their wishes of their parents, therefore

Be it resolved that the Elizabethtown Area School District hereby 
endorses the pro-family resolution and affirms that the pro-homosexual 
concepts on sex and family as promote by the National Education 
Association will never be tolerated or accepted in this school."

In response, over 200 Elizabethtown middle and high school students 
staged a walkout of their classes on Tuesday, October 8, and were 
rewarded with three-day suspensions by the school administration.  
Students were protesting that they not only disagreed with the policy but 
also had not been given a chance to share their views at the board 
meeting where the policy was adopted.

 The Elizabethtown School Board will revisit the policy in its upcoming 
meting on Tuesday, Oct. 15.  In response to requests from students in the 
area, GLSTN is urging all interested parties to make their views on this 
policy known to :

Dr. Marilyn Baker
Acting Superintendent
Elizabethtown Area High School
600 E. High St.
Elizabeth town, PA 17022
(717) 367-1521.

========================================================

GLSTNAlert is a GLSTN news bulletin service of the The Gay, Lesbian, and 
Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN). 

========================================================

To Unsubscribe from GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Unsubscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes 
and note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert).

========================================================

To Subscribe to GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Subscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes and 
note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert). Also: please write your name in 
the message portion of your email.

========================================================