Subject: GAY TEACHERS OFFER JACK KEMP SOME EDUCATION
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 18:54:00 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
AUGUST 12, 1996

CONTACT:
Kevin Jennings, Executive Director
GLSTN
122 West 26th St., Suite 1100
New Yorkl, NY 10001
(212) 727-0135
[email-masked]
http://www.glstn.org/respect/

       GAY TEACHERS OFFER JACK KEMP SOME EDUCATION

      Free Admission Offer Extended To Vice-Presidential Nominee 
Following 
                       Statement In New York Times Against Gay Teachers

NEW YORK - The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) today 
extended an offer of free admission to any of its 1996-97 conferences to 
the apparent Republican Vice-Presidential nominee, former Congressman 
Jack Kemp. The offer was prompted when GLSTN staff read remarks by Mr. 
Kemp in the August 11 New York Times wherein he stated "I believe in 
civil liberties for homosexuals. I guess I'd have to say I'd draw the 
line at letting them teach in the schools."

"It's clear that Jack Kemp just doesn't 'get it'," said Kevin Jennings, 
GLSTN's Executive Director. "You can't say you're for civil liberties but 
also for discrimination at the same time." Jennings added, "It seems the 
former Congressman has a basic problem with logic here when he advocates 
civil liberties and discrimination simultaneously. That's as 
contradictory as saying 'I endorsed your opponent, but, sure, I'll be 
your Vice-President,' or "Let's cut taxes and say we can balance the 
budget at the same time without naming any spending cuts'." Jennings 
concluded, "But, then again, I guess some people will say anything to be 
a heartbeat away from the Oval Office."

GLSTN regularly sponsors educational programs around the country for 
parents, teachers, and students on gay and lesbian issues. Jennings 
extended an offer of free admission to any of these conferences to Mr. 
Kemp. "It's obvious that this man needs some education," Jennings said, 
"and that he needs to quit playing on people's fears of gay teachers 
being 'after your kids.' Maybe coming and learning something about the 
issue would help him out."

With over forty chapters, and a membership of over three thousand 
teachers, parents, and concerned citizens, The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight 
Teachers Network (GLSTN) is the largest national organization working to 
insure that schools are places where all people are respected and valued, 
regardless of sexual orientation.

                                                 ##

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Spear
Director of Field Services
GLSTN
Teaching Respect For All
Email:   [email-masked]
Web:     http://www.glstn.org/freedom/
Phone:   212.727.0135
Fax:     212.727.0254
US Mail: 122 West 26th Street, Suite 1100
         New York, NY 10001
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~