Subject: GLSTN BACK TO SCHOOL CAMPAIGN: WEEK 2
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 19:05:19 -0400

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Back-to-School Campaign Update [week 2]
Week of Sept. 13

Note:  The Back-to-School Campaign is a national letter-writing and 
advocacy campaign in which GLSTN urges lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults 
and their friends to contact their former schools and school officials to 
demand action to end anti-gay bias in education.  Staged each September, 
it is in its second year.  Weekly updates will be made available 
throughout the month of September.

GLSTN Launches Public Awareness Ad Campaign as Part of Back-to-School 
Campaign 

Media Sponsors Running Ads in Major Cities from Coast-to-Coast

The Gay, Lesbian, and Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN) announced today 
the launch of a public awareness advertising effort as part of its Second 
Annual "Back-to-School" Campaign.  The ads, developed by the New 
York-based Rabid Design Group, feature school photos of lesbian and gay 
high school students whose faces have been obscured by quotes form 
students who have experienced anti-gay harassment.  Ad text references 
the facts that 28% of lesbian/gay youth drop out of school (nearly three 
times the national average) and that nearly half experience harassment 
during their school years.  The Back-to-School Campaign works to get 
lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults and their supporters to write to their 
old schools demanding action to end homophobia, and the ads are designed 
to increase community involvement in the Campaign.
 
"We wanted to come up with an image that would convey what homophobia 
does to young people," said Doug Livingston of the Rabid Design Group.  
"We felt that what homophobia does is erase people's identity, and that 
doing so with a homophobic epithet across a person's face in the ads 
would drive that point home."  Livingston, a native of South Dakota, 
became involved in GLSTN's work after attending a fund-raiser in May in 
New York.  "I'm not a teacher, but I saw immediately how important what 
this Campaign was trying to do," he said.  "I wanted to use my skills to 
help get the message across that homophobia in schools is just wrong."
 
"We're thrilled with the support the community is giving us," said Deidre 
Cuffee-Gray, Media Coordinator for the Campaign.  To date, lesbian/gay 
publications in ten major cities have become official media sponsors, 
including Bay Area Reporter (San Francisco), Bay Windows (Boston),  Et 
Cetera (Atlanta), Frontiers (Los Angeles), the Houston Voice, HX (New 
York), Metroline (Hartford), Query (Nashville) Philadelphia Gay News, the 
Washington Blade, and Curve magazine.  "The support of these sponsors is 
allowing us to get the word out to folks who otherwise are not involved 
in schools day-to-day" added Cuffee-Gray, "and their involvement is 
critical to getting our schools to realize that they have got to take 
concrete steps to change the climate that exists now."  Gray added that 
the ads were also available in poster form, and that thousands have been 
distributed to GLSTN chapters around the country for posting in schools, 
community settings, and public areas.  "We're getting the word out in 
every way we can that bigotry in our schools is wrong," she concluded.

GLSTN/Austin Packs 'Em In

On Sunday, September 8, GLSTN/Austin hosted the Texas premiere of "It's 
Elementary," the new documentary on gay and lesbian issues in elementary 
schools directed by Academy Award-winner Debra Chasnoff and Helen Cohen, 
at the Austin Gay/Lesbian International Film Festival.  Nearly two 
hundred people attended this sold-out event, and many more waited hoping 
to get in.  This was the largest event ever for this one year old 
chapter.  "The film was a moving experience that charged everyone to get 
active in our schools," said Steve Siefert, GLSTN/Austin Co-Chair.  In 
addition the group raised over $500 through a silent auction and door 
prize drawing at the premiere's reception.  More importantly the event 
received excellent coverage in the mainstream and alternative press.  
"More than ever before, people in Austin know about GLSTN and the work we 
do," said Siefert, "Now we want to make sure we keep up the momentum 
throughout the school year." 

GLSTN/San Joaquin Makes the Front Page

Ryan Monroe from GLSTN/San Joaquin reports: "At our PFLAG/GLSTN 
Back-to-School kick-off meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 9, we had about 30 
participants to help generate and share letters.  When everyone finished, 
several people read their letters.  This was very emotional.  We got 
front page coverage in the Stockton Record including two color pictures 
for the event, in addition to a more general article on the Campaign two 
weeks prior.  I think our chapter is off to a good start!"

With over forty chapters, and a membership of over three thousand 
teachers, parents, and concerned citizens, GLSTN is the largest national 
organization working to insure that schools are places where all people 
are respected and valued, regardless of sexual orientation.   For more 
info visit our web site at http://www.glstn.org/respect or call us at 
212-727-0135.

GLSTN
122 West 26th St.
Suite 1100
New York, NY 10001
Tel: 212.727.0135
Fax: 212.727.0254
Email: [email-masked]
Web: http://www.glstn.org/respect/

========================================================

GLSTNAlert is a GLSTN news bulletin service of the The Gay, Lesbian, and 
Straight Teachers Network (GLSTN). 

========================================================

To Unsubscribe from GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Unsubscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes 
and note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert).

========================================================

To Subscribe to GLSTNAlert simply send an email to [email-masked] 
with the words "Subscribe GLSTNAlert" in the subject line (no quotes and 
note the lack of space in GLSTNAlert). Also: please write your name in 
the message portion of your email.

========================================================