Subject: Fwd: Action item - Youth Hearings
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 1995 00:30:47 -0400

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	[email-masked]
Date: 95-09-08 23:04:56 EDT

This morning  I forwarded a message - something didn't work and the message
wasn't there.  Here it is really.   Maggie Heineman

---------------------------------

Date: Fri, 8 Sep 1995 09:47:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: And Justice for All <[email-masked]>

CONGRESS POSTPONES ATTACKS ON GLBT YOUTH --- URGENT ACTION NEEDED TO CANCEL
HEARING!!!

Congressional staff of Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.), chair of the Oversight
and Investigations Subcommittee of the House Economic and Educational
Opportunities Committee, has confirmed that the previously scheduled hearing
on homosexuality and the schools has been postponed.  The hearing is being
billed as a hearing on "Parental Involvement in Social Issues in Education."
 The hearing was scheduled for Septmeber 12, at the request of Lou Sheldon of
the radical right Traditional Values Coalition.

[Wordpromise them to Rev. Lou Sheldon. Hoekstra's office is not yet releasing
the
witness list but you can bet it'll be stacked. The hearing currently is named
"Parental Involvement in Social Issues in Education." It has been postponed
but will likely occur between the end of September and Thanksgiving It
allegedly will address the following 3 focus areas with
perhaps a 4th to be added later: 1) Sex education and abstinence,  2) Condom
distribution in schools 3) Homosexual curricula (sic)

Grassroots action is needed to cancel the hearing.

*****ACTION STEPS*****
1) Contact Rep. Peter Hoekstra's office and insist that his subcommittee
CANCEL the hearing on "Parental Involvement in Social Issues in Education."
 Members of Congress were elected to work on critical problems facing this
country, NOT to wage attacks on youth and their families!  Hoekstra's office:
(202)225-4401.  (Majority Chief of Staff: Jay Eagen, (202) 225-4527).

You can email Congressperson Hoekstra  [email-masked]>, though you
will get an email form response telling you that he will not snail mail
respond to anyone outside his district.

2) Call the other subcommittee members and give them the same message! U.S.
Capitol Switchboard: (202) 224-3121.
 (Minority Chief of Staff: Gail Weiss (202) 225-3725).)
Subcommittee:
Republicans: Hoekstra (Mich.) Chair; Barrett (NE); Ballenger (NC); Cunningham
(CA); McKeon (CA); Castle (DE); Weldon (FL); Goodling(PA). Democrats: Sawyer
(OH) Chair; Martinez (CA); Reed (RI); Roemer (IN); Scott (VA); Green (TX).

3) Call your own Representatives and express your concerns about the hearing.
U.S. Capitol Switchboard (202) 224-3121.

COMMITTEE ON ECONOMIC AND EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITIES (202) 225-4527

                    Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
                              Majority: 9 / Minority: 7

     LHOB = Longworth House Office Building
     RHOB = Rayburn House Office Building
     CHOB = Cannon House Office Building

     Member     State/District           House Office Room       Phone
     ======================================================================
     Peter Hoekstra, Chairman  R -MI, 1122 LHOB,  (202)225-4401
        [email-masked]

     Bill Barrett , R-NE, 1213 LHOB, (202)225- 6435

     Cass Ballenger, R-NC, 2238 RHOB, (202)225- 2576
         [email-masked]

     Randy "Duke" Cunningham, R-CA,  227 CHOB, (202)225- 5452

     Howard P. "Buck" McKeon, R-CA,  307 CHOB,(202)225- 1956
        [email-masked]

     Michael N. Castle, R-DE, 1207 LHOB, (202)225- 4165

     Dave Weldon, R-FL,  216 CHOB, (202)225-3671
        [email-masked]

     William F. Goodling, R -PA, 2263 RHOB, (202)225-5836

     Harris W. Fawell, R-IL13, 2159 RHOB, (202)225-3515
         [email-masked]

     Thomas C. Sawyer, D-OH14, 1414 LHOB, (202)225-5231

     Matthew G. Martinez, D -CA31, 2239 RHOB, (202)225-  5464

     Jack Reed, D-RI02, 1510 LHOB, (202)225- 2735

     Tim Roemer, D-IN03,  407 CHOB, (202)225- 3915

     Robert C. Scott, D-VA03,  501 CHOB, (202)225- 8351

     Gene Green, D-TX29, 1024 LHOB, (202)225- 1688
         [email-masked]

     Mel Reynolds, D-IL02,  312 CHOB, (202)225- 0773

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+
YOU MAY RE-POST OR PRINT, WITH ATTRIBUTION
Jessea Greenman <[email-masked]>
The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project*; ph/fax: 510-601-8883
586 62nd St. Oakland, CA 94609-1245

To get to our gopher, gopher to "gopher.outright.com"
Point a web browser at http://www.outright.com/project21
Another Web site, courtesy of "Gay & Lesbian Web Alliance":
        URL:  http://emanate.com/glwa/proj21
Or try http://www1.usa1.com/~furball/glb/person.html/
(provided courtesy of  Claude DiDomenica of Children's Animated Television)

The P.E.R.S.O.N. Project is *always* looking for volunteer organizers. If
interested, please contact Jessea as shown above.

Please cc us on all correspondence you send or receive
regarding one of our action alerts...we file it ALL!  Thanks!

*P.E.R.S.O.N. (copyrighted) stands for Public Education
Regarding Sexual Orientation Nationally.