Subject: DISNEY LETTER
From: "Jason Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 18:14:39 +0000

The text of the letter sent to Walt Disney Co. chairman Michael Eisner from 15
Florida lawmakers.

``An open letter to Michael Eisner and the Walt Disney Board:

``We are deeply disappointed in your recent decision to extend health benefits
to the domestic partners of your homosexual employees. The media and
entertainment industry may consider this a `politically correct' and courageous
change in policy, but we -- and others who have looked to you as the provider of
 wholesome, family-oriented entertainment -- consider your decision a big
mistake both morally and financially.

``We are surprised at your belittlement of the sanctity of marriage. By implying
 that vows no longer need to be made in order to gain marital privileges, you
are alienating the millions of people in this country who take the marriage
covenant seriously and believe that it is ordained by God. We strongly
disapprove of your inclusion and endorsement of a lifestyle that is unhealthy,
unnatural and unworthy of special treatment. Those who practice homosexuality
are engaging in a life style that should not be given the same status as
heterosexual marriages.

``Financially speaking, how can you give medical benefits to a group of people
with such a high medical risk, knowing full-well that other Disney employees and
 the American people will have to pick up the tab for the inevitable increased
health insurance premiums? With your decision, you are alienating the vast
majority of families in this country. You may be gaining the applause of a vocal
 minority of your employees, but you are jeopardizing your financial base which
creates the need for those same employees.

``We are also deeply disappointed in the path that the Disney company has chosen
 to follow. For more than 50 years Walt Disney Co. has represented all that is
good and pure and wholesome in our nation. Families flocked to Walt Disney World
 and Disneyland because they knew that Walt Disney respected and nurtured the
traditional American family and its strong moral values. Disney could always be
counted on to provide parents and children alike with family-friendly,
good-natured entertainment. Nowadays, however, you are producing anti-family
films under other labels, such as Miramax, and moving even further away from
traditional American values with this policy decision.

``We wonder what Walt Disney himself would think of your decision if he were
alive today? We are inclined to believe he would be quick to pull the plug on
such anti-family company policies. We hope you will be quick to reconsider your
new policy and work to reestablish the Disney Co. as a family-oriented
organization.''

Those who signed the letter:

Republican Reps. Bob Brooks of Winter Park, Randy Ball of Titusville, Jerry
Burroughs of Cantonment, Marvin Couch of Oviedo, Jim Fuller and Stephen Wise of
Jacksonville,

Carlos Lacasa of Miami, Ken Pruitt of Port St. Lucie, Bob Starks of Casselberry,
 John Thrasher of Orange Park, Mike Fasano of New Port Richey, Mark Flanagan of
Bradenton and Buddy Johnson of Plant City,

Republican Sen. John Grant of Tampa, and Democratic Rep. Everett Kelly of
Tavares.