Subject: Mormon Church opposes same-gender marriage...
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 94 16:43:57 EST

The following news release was distributed today by the Church of Jesus
Christ of Latter-day Saints in Salt Lake City:

"CHURCH OPPOSES EFFORTS TO LEGALIZE SAME-GENDER MARRIAGE

The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has
issued the following statement:

'The principles of the gospel and the sacred responsibilities given us
require that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints oppose any
efforts to give legal authorization to marriages between persons of the same
gender.

'Marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God to fulfill the eternal
destiny of His children. The union of husband and wife assures perpetuation
of the race and provides a divinely-ordained setting for the nurturing and
teaching of children. This sacred family setting, with father and mother and
children firmly committed to each other and to righteous living, offers the
best hope for avoiding many of the ills that afflict society.

'We encourage members to appeal to legislators, judges, and other government
officials to preserve the purposes and sanctity of marriage between a man and
a woman, and to reject all efforts to give legal authorization or other
official approval or support to marriages between persons of the same
gender.'"

***

Contact the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day
Saints at 50 East North Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150 or by
calling (801)240-1000 or (800)453-3860 or by faxing your comments at
(801)240-2033. You may also contact the church Public Affairs Department for
copies of the above news release at the same address or by calling
(801)240-2205.

Tell them that you disagree with their church statement. The Mormon Church
has a decades-long history of subjecting bisexual, gay and lesbian people to
counseling, aversion therapy, electro-shock and drug therapy, heterosexual
marriage, and membership excommunication.