Subject: IBM
From: Scott Safier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 94 11:09:33 EST

from soc.motss

Reply-To: [email-masked]
Subject: IBM's POSITION ON LESBIGAY BENEFITS

I am posting this anonymously for many reasons, not the least of which
is that I am _not_ the recipient of this (my lover works for IBM). 
In addition to the North Carolina address, those wanting to respond might
like to know that Louis Gerstner (CEO of IBM) can be faxed at 914-765-6007.
Other motssers, esp. IBMers, might wish to post suggestions, etc. on how
to respond to this 'position.'  While I'm sure there will be more than a 
few 'but it is so expensive' responses, I'd like to try and quell them - I
am TIRED of having to beg for the same rights - and, yes, PRIVILEGES -
that everyone else has.  

IBM
P. O. Box 12195
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

February 7, 1994

Dear Speak Up Writer:

Thank you for using the IBM Speak Up program to address your 
concerns regarding the eligibility of domestic partners under the 
IBM benefits programs.  Following is IBM's position regarding 
this issue.

IBM believes that medical coverage for all of our citizens is 
important, particularly those for whom our employees have full or 
shared financial responsibilities.  The importance of the medical 
coverage issue for all citizens is one of the reasons that 
President Clinton has made this topic a national public policy 
debate.

IBM frequently reviews its benefits plans in light of the chang-
ing needs of employees and business conditions.  We often receive 
requests to extend benefits coverage to a variety of people 
important to our employees.  These include children who are not 
currently covered under the IBM plans, parents, grandparents, 
siblings, and non-spouse partners -- both heterosexual and homo-
sexual.

As you know, our tradition of leadership in human resources man-
agement and the current focus on medical coverage, benefits 
costs, and indeed, other companies in our industry implementing 
same-sex partner benefits, has created the need for a thoughtful 
review of this issue at IBM.  Our conclusion is that implementing 
this change is not a prudent decision for the following reasons:

1.	The IBM medical and dental plans cover an employee's spouse 
as determined by the law of the state in which the employee 
resides.  If states were to expand their legal definition of 
spouse to include same-sex partners, these individuals would be 
eligible under our current medical plans.

2.	IBM does not believe that it would be fair to grant coverage 
to the partners of our gay and lesbian employees and exclude the 
needs of other employees seeking the security of benefits pro-
tection for opposite sex partners and other uncovered family 
members.  The hundreds of employee requests for coverage of 
rejected family members following the completion of our recent 
benefits enrollment validates this conclusion.

3.	The expansion of coverage to include non-spouse partners is 
an expense that IBM cannot afford at this time.  In addition to 
the cost of benefits coverage, the tax laws do not allow the same 
employer deductions for medical coverage of non-spouse partners 
as they do for spouses, and it would require separate adminis-
tration.

4.	The current national health care debate is focusing on 
medical coverage for all citizens.  The results of this debate 
may very well resolve this issue in the near future.

I do want to emphasize that our unmarried employees are currently 
able to recognize important relationships by naming the persons 
of their choice as their beneficiaries under the Tax Deferred 
Savings Plan and the Personal Retirement Provision of the IBM 
Retirement Plan; at the time of retirement, the Joint and Survi-
vor Annuity Option is available as well. There is also free 
choice of beneficiary under the IBM Travel Accident Insurance and 
Group Life Insurance Plans.

I realize this is not the answer you hoped for.  I do appreciate 
your taking the time to express your opinion.

Sincerely,
Jeannine A. Koytek
Program Manager
IBM National Benefits Service Center