Subject: here it is, the FINAL version of the letter
From: Evil Queen Xanxia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 92 16:17:51 -0500

26 JUN 1992

To: Anita Matscherz, Manager of Benefits, IBM Corporation
Cc: Regional Benefits Administrators
From: IBM Employees for Equal Benefits
Re: Domestic & Dependent Partner (DP) Benefits

Dear Ms. Matscherz,

This package contains several documents that detail what other
employers in and out of the high-tech industries are doing to make
their benefits packages more equally applicable in today's world.
Domestic or dependent partner benefits are one of the strongest ways
for a company to show its employees and the world that it cares, and
that it is keeping up with "modern times." Domestic partner benefits
cover the "spousal equivalent" (as Lotus Development Corporation calls
them) while dependent partner benefits are for the children and other
dependents of that union. Both are needed, especially with medical
costs being so high.

It is worth noting that only 27% of families now fall into the
traditional model of "the nuclear family"[1] - one father married to
one mother with 2.3 kids and a dog. Many families are
unmarried-living-together, single parent, or unable to marry due to
laws which discriminate against gay or lesbian marriage.

Some people claim that such benefits would only be abused by "couples"
who get together solely to take advantage of them, or by short-lived
unions of 6 months or so.  These same people also claim that gay people
are unable to form long-term bonds, yet there are at least as many if
not more non-traditional marriages that are over 10 years old as there
are traditional ones. Lotus, Levi Strauss, and several other companies
have found these benefits are not abused by the people who use them[2].

We are writing this in the hope that IBM will realize the reality of a
changing world, and that it will add domestic and dependent partner
benefits to its benefit list. Yes, it will add slightly to the cost of
IBM's employee benefit plan, but it will also garner a manyfold return
on that investment: by making IBM's benefit plan more equally
applicable, IBM will be able to attract and retain a larger number of
qualified individuals. Now that IBM is trying to be a leaner, meaner
organization, it needs the best possible employees to further that
goal. These benefits will make IBM more appealing as an employer.

---
[1] See page 2 of the Lotus report.
[2] See the Lotus report for details.
								page 2

IBM will also be demonstrating to the world an improved image, showing
that IBM is able to be flexible. By demonstrating that IBM is paying
attention to the real needs of its employees, we also show that IBM is
better able to manage in the new corporate and business environments
that we face today. This will not only enable IBM to find better
candidates for employment, but also boost the morale of those already
here.

One other thing to note is that IBM now has an EO statement that says
it will not discriminate against its gay/bi/lesbian employees. It seems
to me that not offering benefits to a spouse or dependent just because
the state discriminates in marriage is, in effect, a form of
discrimination and thus violates IBM's own published policies.  This
also appears to me to violate IBM's long standing tradition of respect
for the individual.

Some details that you should be aware of:
	Lotus will send an information package containing a full
	description of their policies, guidelines, affidavits, and even
	press releases. The request must come from the company's
	personnel department, on letterhead stationery, and be directed
	to:
		Diane Duval
		Lotus Development Corp.
		161 First St.
		Cambridge, MA 02142
	(I've included some of this information in the enclosed packet.)

	The following company provides coverage for Ben & Jerry's and
	would probably send you more information if requested.
		Consumer's United Insurance Co.
		2100 M St., NW
		Washington, D.C. 20037
		(202) 872-5200

Also, a 10 SEP 91 article in the Boston Globe quoted spokespeople from
Hewlett-Packard and DEC who said they are considering extending
coverage to "nontraditional families," in light of Lotus' policy change
and requests from employees.

I urge you to pay close attention to the report on the Lotus
Development Corporation's new benefits plan, as well as the other
articles and reports that are contained in this package.

								Page 3

However, all funding and perception issues aside, there remains one
unassailable reason for IBM to give us DP benefits, bereavement leave,
sick-spouse leave, and all of the other benefits that traditionally
married couples get - it is the right thing to do.

Giving full and equal DP benefits shows respect for the family, no
matter who its members are. It grants dignity and equality to all
people, not just a chosen few. It expresses a concern for the welfare
of all IBM employees and their loved ones. It also addresses the issue
of equal pay for equal work: two people work side-by-side, but one
person's salary has to buy a separate health plan for his/her partner,
thus reducing her/his real compensation. (It gets worse when the
partner of the employee is the "legal" parent of their children.) It
is, in sum, fair and equitable, and fixes a major gap in IBM's
otherwise excellent benefits plan.

Thank you for your attention to this important matter,

Lee V. Damon, IBM TJ Watson Research
Paul D. Carey, IBM Austin
Clayton T. Colwell, IBM Austin
Otto V. Kitchens, IBM Austin
Scott C. Kennedy, IBM TJ Watson Research
G. P. Erwin-Grotsky, IBM Austin
Jake Coughlin, IBM R.T.P.
Jay Cagle, IBM Cary
Dennis J. Drown, IBM R.T.P.
Betty A. Prioux, IBM Austin
John Rutledge, IBM R.T.P.
Nike Lewis, IBM Austin
Mark Grumet, IBM Boca Raton
Chris Sundaresan, IBM TJ Watson Research
Steven M. Hanes, IBM Austin
Steven Elliot, IBM/ISSC Palo Alto