Subject: "Heterosexual supremacist" vs. "anti-gay person"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 07:22:36 -0400 (EDT)

I can see no reason not to change the convention and plenty of reasons
to change the convention at this time of the language used for those who
would express disrespect for gay and lesbian equality before the law.  I
propose that the term "heterosexual supremacist" be adopted in lieu of
"anti-gay person."  Reason:  Our struggle as people of a different sexual
orientation for equal rights under the law is a human rights and civil rights
struggle.  No respectable newspaper today would ever use the terminology
"anti-black person" or "anti-African American person."  Clearly the language
convention of choice is "white supremacist."  This convention places the
responsibility for bigotry where it belongs.
     Can we change the conventional use of language?  Of course.  How else
did the use of the word "gay" come about?
     FROM NOW ON, I will substitute the term "HETEROSEXUAL SUPREMACIST" for
"anti-gay person."  PLEASE JOIN ME.
     Example:  The terminology for "Anti-gay" legislator Terrance Tom (in the
Hawaii equal marriage rights debate) would change to "Heterosexual-supremacy"
legislator Terrance Tom.

Richard Beilke
Creator/Proprietor of the Gay Marriage Calendar 1997
[email-masked]
http://home.aol.com/RMBEILKE   <A HREF="http://home.aol.com/RMBEILKE"> Home Pa
ge for RMBEILKE</A>