From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 19:53:53 -0800

National Lesbian and Gay History Month Launched!

Press Release-June 24, 1994 

Following endorsement by many nationally-recognized organizations and
individuals (e.g. GLAAD; HRCF; GLA; Project 10; Project 21; American
Historical Association Committee on Lesbian and Gay History; Massachusetts
Governor's Commission on Gay & Lesbian Youth;  Professor Martin Duberman of
CUNY, Professor George Chauncey, Jr. of U. Chicago, Dr. Virginia Uribe of
Project 10, Dr. Arthur Lipkin of Harvard, Dr. Karen Harbeck-author of
Coming Out of the Classroom Closet;...and many others), October 1994 has
been designated the first annual Lesbian and Gay History Month.

Organized with the various celebration/commemoration months in mind (e.g.
November's Native American Heritage Month, February's Black History Month,
March's Women's History Month, etc.), NLGHM will, it is hoped, foster
better understanding of the gay and lesbian past on the part of all people.

October was chosen as NLGHM because October already contained National
Coming Out Day (the 11th); October was the month chosen for the first and
second Marches on Washington in 1979 and 1987; and because October falls
within the academic calendar year, making it possible for colleges and high
schools across the United States to participate in the celebration.

The Lesbian & Gay History Month Coordinating Council is being organized at
this time, finding its institutional home at the Gerber/Hart Gay and
Lesbian Library and Archives in Chicago.  Coordinating Council members
currently include: Johnda Boyce, Columbus OH; Kevin Boyer, Chicago IL;
Steven Capsuto, Philadelphia PA; Saralyn Chestnut, Atlanta GA; Jessea
Greenman, San Francisco Bay Area, CA; Kevin Jennings, Boston MA; Rodney
Wilson, St. Louis MO; and Torrey Wilson, Chicago IL.

Endorsement of LGHM is simple.  Simply complete the attached form and
return it to Lesbian & Gay History Month, c/o Gerber/Hart Gay & Lesbian
Library and Archives, 3352 N. Paulina , Chicago IL 60657;  you may fax the
form to 312-883-3078 or email it to Kevin Boyer, [email-masked].

People interested in contributing money for the expenses of LGHM should
send their contributions to Gerber/Hart Library and Archives at the above
address, attention Kevin Boyer and specifying that the funds are for LGHM.

For more information, contact
	Kevin Boyer, [email-masked]
	Jessea Greenman, [email-masked] 
	Steven Capsuto, [email-masked]

--------

Endorsement Form

Resolved, we support the movement to establish October as Lesbian & Gay
History Month.

Further resolved, we will make efforts to celebrate LGHM as we deem
appropriate and possible given our mission, resources, and activity
schedule.

Further resolved, we will send information about our celebration of LGHM to
the coordinating council so that a national calendar may be compiled and
published.

Further resolved, we hereby allow the use of our name (as printed below) on
a list of endorsing organizations and individuals to be published by the
coordinating council.

(Please print or type all information):
Name:
Contact Person(s):
Address:

City/State/Zip
Phone                                                           Fax        
                               Email

Authorized Signature

Check below as appropriate:

	___Please send ideas for local activities celebrating LGHM (enclose or, if
emailing send along separately, a self-addressed stamped envelope with 52
cents' postage)

	___Please send information about setting up a LGHM local coordinating
committee--or put us in touch with other endorsing organizations in our
area (enclose or, if emailing send along separately, a self-addressed
stamped envelope with 52 cents' postage)

	___Enclosed is a list of organizations in our area which might support
LGHM.  Please send them appropriate endorsement information.

	___WE CAN SUPPLY RESOURCE MATERIALS having to do with

____________(particular aspect of Lesbian Gay History).

Mail, fax, or email this form to Lesbian & Gay History Month, c/o
Gerber/Hart Gay & Lesbian Library and Archives, 3352 N. Paulina , Chicago
IL 60657;  you may fax the form to 312-883-3078 or email it to Kevin Boyer,
[email-masked].