From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 94 02:53:14 EDT

----------------------------Original message----------------------------
There is also some very important research just out from Dr. Anthony R.
D'Augelli at The Pennsylvania State University that adds to the bleak
statistics:

- 25% chose a family member as the first person to tell about their sexual
orientation.
- Only 11% said their family members "knew" and were supportive.
- Over 50% received professional counseling.
- Over 50% were "very troubled" by depression, anxiety, and wrory about HIV
infection.
- 30% said they had sometimes or often thought about killing themselves.
- 42% had one or more suicide attempts.
- 24% had two or more suicide attempts.
- Profile of suicide attempters: aware of sexual orientation earlier, lower
self-esteem, more alcohol and drug problems, more out as lesbian or gay, and
lost more friends due to sexual orientation.

He has some other interesting data, as well (the following are all averages):

- First aware ness of sexual orientation: age 10
- Self-labelling: age 15
- Told a parent: age 17
- First same-sex serious relationship: age 17

His works are:

"The Impact of Victimization on the Mental Health and Suicidality of Lesbian,
Gay and Bisexual Youth", Scott L. Hershberger & Anthony R. D'Augelli.
Department of Human Development and Family Studies, The Pennsylvania State
University.  Currently in press.

"Victimization of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Youth in Community Settings",
Neil W. Pilkington, Department of Psychology, McGill University.  Anthony R.
D'Augelli, Department of Human Development and Family Studies, The
Pennsylvania State University.

"Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Youth in Community Settings: Personal Challenges
and Mental Health Problems", Anthony R. D'Augelli and Scott L. Hershberger.
Currently in press.

Chris Kryzan
National Coalition for Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual Youth