From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 1994 20:13:00 -0800

Sample Activity List- Lesbian and Gay History Month

	January: Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
	February: Black History Month (official name)
	March: Women's History Month
	April: Earth Day; Holocaust Remembrance Days
	May: Asian/Pacific Heritage Month
	June: Lesbian/Gay Pride Month
	September: Hispanic Heritage Month  (official name)
	OCTOBER: LESBIAN AND GAY HISTORY MONTH
	November: Native American Heritage Month

WHAT TO DO FOR NATIONAL LESBIAN AND GAY HISTORY MONTH

	Request that your local library order books on our history

	Order the Project 21 poster on 57 famous l/g/bi people from
GLAAD/SFBA--call 415-861-2244 for ordering form or to charge by phone.

	Make certain your local library is aware that October is LGHM; ask that
they make a display of books.

	Make certain your local bookstores are aware that October is LGHM; ask
that they make a display of books.

	Request that your local school order the Chelsea House teen series on
"Lives of Notable Gay Men and Lesbians."

	Make certain that your local school is aware that this October is LGHM;
request that your local school celebrate LGHM just as they celebrate other
history months around the year.

	Organize a film festival; show the films "Before Stonewall," "After
Stonewall," etc.

	Read books on lesbian, gay and bisexual history.

	Ask that your local newspapers (gay and nongay) publish a column on gay
and lesbian history.

	Ask your local TV and radio stations to do news and features on lesbian
and gay history.

	Organize a lecture on lesbian/gay history, especially local history.

	Write a theatrical production about lesbian and gay history.

	Throw a gay-and-lesbian themed Halloween party to say so-long to the first
annual LGHM.

Remember: LGHM will be controversial.  Thus the words of Frederick Douglass
come to mind: 
	"If there is no struggle, there is no progress.  Those who profess to
favor freedom
	and yet renounce controversy are people who want crops without ploughing
the ground."

This sample activity list by Rodney Wilson, founder of Lesbian and Gay
History Month.  Rodney is a teacher.  He can be reached at 314-352-6011.