From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 1994 08:44:29 -0800

Resolution on Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Youths in the Schools

Adopted by the American Psychological Association Council of
Representatives on Feb. 28, 1993, and by the National Association of School
Psychologists on Jan. 16, 1993.  For more information, contact the
Committee on Lesbian and Gay Concerns or the Committee on Children, Youth
and Families at APA, 750 1st St. NE, Washington DC 20002-4242;
202-336-6041; 202- 336-6123 TDD and the National Association of School
Psychologists, 8455 Colesville Rd.  Suite 1000, Silver Spring MD 20910,
301-608-0500.

Whereas society's attitudes, behaviors, and tendency to render lesbian, gay
and bisexual persons invisible permeate all societal institutions including
the family and school system; (Gonsiorek, 1988; Hetrick and Martin, 1988;
Ponse, 1978; Uribe and Harbeck, 1992)

Whereas it is a presumption that all persons, including those who are
lesbian, gay or bisexual, have the right to equal opportunity within all
public educational institutions;

Whereas current literature suggests that some youths are aware of their
status as lesbian, gay or bisexual persons by early adolescence; (Remafedi,
1987; Savin-Williams, 1990; Slater, 1988; Troiden, 1988:

Whereas many lesbian, gay and bisexual youths and youths perceived to
belong to these groups face harassment and physical violence in school
environments; (Freiberg, 1987; Hetrick & Martin, 1988; Remafedi, 1987;
Schaecher, 1988; Uribe and Harbeck, 1992; Whitlock, 1988)

Whereas many lesbian, gay and bisexual youths are at risk for lowered
self-esteem and for engaging in self-injurious behaviors, including
suicide; (Hetrick and Martin, 1988; Gonsiorek, 1988; Savin-Williams, 1990;
Harry, 1989; Gibson, 1989)

Whereas gay male and bisexual youths are at an increased risk of HIV
infection: (Savin-Williams, 1992)

Whereas lesbian, gay and bisexual youths of color have additional
challenges to their self-esteem as a result of the negative consequences of
discrimination based on both sexual orientation and ethnic/racial minority
status; (Garnets and Kimmel, 1991)

Whereas lesbian, gay and bisexual youths with physical or mental
disabilities are at increased risk due to the negative consequence of
societal prejudice towards persons with mental or physical disabilities;
(Pendler & Hingsburger, 1991; Hingsburger and Griffiths, 1986)

Whereas lesbian, gay and bisexual youths who are poor or working class may
face additional risks; (Gordon, Schroeder & Abramo, 1990)

Whereas psychologists affect policies and practices within educational
environments;

Whereas psychology promotes the individual's development of personal
identity including the sexual orientation of all individuals;

Therefore be it resolved that the American Psychological Association and
the National Association of School Psychologists shall take a leadership
role in promoting societal and familial attitudes and behaviors that affirm
the dignity and rights, within educational environments, of all lesbian,
gay and bisexual youths, including those with physical or mental
disabilities and from all racial/ethnic backgrounds and classes.

Therefore be it resolved that the American Psychological Association and
the National Association of School Psychologists support providing a safe
and secure educational atmosphere in which all youths, including lesbian,
gay and bisexual youths, may obtain an education free from discrimination,
harassment, violence, and abuse, and which promotes an understanding and
acceptance of self;

Therefore be it resolved that the American Psychological Association and
the National Association of School Psychologists encourage psychologists to
develop and evaluate interventions that foster nondiscriminatory
environments, lower risk for HIV infection, and decrease self-injurious
behaviors in lesbian, gay and bisexual youths.

Therefore be it resolved that the American Psychological Association and
the National Association of School Psychologists shall advocate efforts to
ensure the funding of basic and applied research on and scientific
evaluations of interventions and programs designed to address the issues of
lesbian, gay and bisexual youths in the schools, and programs for HIV
prevention targeted at gay and bisexual youths.

Therefore be it resolved that the American Psychological Association and
the National Association of School Psychologists shall work with other
organizations in efforts to accomplish these ends.

[The above information is provided as a public service by GLAAD/SFBA's
Project 21, a national campaign for educational equity for lesbian, gay,
and bisexual people, c/o GLAAD/SFBA, 1360 Mission St. #200, San Francisco
CA 94103, 415-861-2244.]