Subject: Faculty Senate resolution on discriminatory recruiters (fwd)
From: "Thomas W. Holt Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 09:58:49 -0500 (GMT-0500)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 94 11:16:12 EST
From: Nancy Larkin <[email-masked]>
To: Jean-Jacques Strayer <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ken Sherrill <[email-masked]>
Subject: Faculty Senate resolution on discriminatory recruiters

Please forward the following text to the faculty email list.

                           HUNTER COLLEGE
                     City University of New York
                  OFFICE OF THE HUNTER COLLEGE SENATE
Room E1018                                                       772-4200

The Hunter College Senate, at its meeting of 2 November 1994, approved the
following resolution concerning the Presence of Discriminatory Recruiters
on Campuses:

   WHEREAS, the Faculty, the Students and the Administration have on many
   occasions and under many conditions affirmed the City University policy
   of nondiscrimination, with reference to gender, race, ethnicity, national
   origin, religion, disability, age, veteran's status, marital status, and
   sexual orientation, and

   WHEREAS, the on-campus presence of employment recruiters from organizations
   that fail to adhere to such a policy violates the principle of nondiscrimi-
   nation in The City University of New York, and

   WHEREAS, the laws of the City of New York prohibit such discriminatory
   practices, and

   WHEREAS, the Hunter College Undergraduate Catalogue states: "Hunter College
   does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national
   or ethnic origin, age, handicap, marital status, or sexual orientation."
   Therefore,

   BE IT RESOLVED, that the Hunter College Senate affirm its commitment to
   that position, and

   BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Hunter College Senate insist that all re-
   sponsible persons and officers develop and implement affirmative plans to
   realize this commitment, and

   BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the Hunter College Senate insist that Hunter
   College adopt a policy to limit recruitment on campus only to organizations
   that adhere to the nondiscrimination policies of Hunter College of The City
   University of New York and of the City of New York, and

   BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that organizations, public or private, that do so
   discriminate not receive direct or implicit aid or recognition from Hunter
   College, and

   BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that the President inform the Senate within two
   months of the passage of this resolution of the actions that have been
   taken to implement the goals of this resolution.