From: [email-masked] Tue Sep 20 09:10:53 1994
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 1994 9:15:38 -0400 (EDT)

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS:

                  LESBIANS IN ACADEMIA

Beth Mintz and Esther Rothblum are editing a book on lesbians'
experiences in academia.  We are interested in the personal
experiences of lesbians in academic settings, and we offer the
following questions as general guidelines:

1.  Outness
   - Are you out as an academic?
   - Were you out at your job interview?
      - If not, why not?  If yes, what were the consequences?
   - If partnered, what is your partner's role in your academic
     life?
2.  Research/Writing
   - Do you work on lesbian/gay/bisexual issues?
   - If not, why not?  If yes, how is this work received at your
     institution?
3.  Teaching/Contact with students
   - Do you come out in the context of teaching?
   - Do you teach about lesbian/gay/bisexual issues?
   - If not, why not?  If yes, how is this received?
4.  Politics
   - Have you been politically active on campus on
     lesbian/gay/bisexual issues?
   - If not, why not?  If yes, what were the consequences?
5.  Other issues
   - How accepted are you on campus?

Please include a description of your academic position, discipline,
background, etc.  The above questions are not meant to be
exclusive - creativity and flexibility are greatly encouraged.

Authors are requested to submit a one-page abstract to either
Esther Rothblum, Department of Psychology, John Dewey Hall,
University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405 or Beth Mintz,
Department of Sociology, 31 S. Prospect St, University of Vermont,
Burlington, VT 05405 by November 1, 1994.  E-Mail abstracts may be
addressed to [email-masked]. The abstract should include
the author's name, address, telephone number, and a 2-3 sentence
current biographical description.  We are looking for a one-page
essay, not a question-and-answer format to the above guidelines.
If authors wish, they can write under a pseudonym to protect their
identity.

We will inform authors whether we would like them to write full-
length articles for the edited book.  We hope to include accounts
from lesbians from a diverse set of institutions; who are members
of ethnic minority groups; who are from working class backgrounds;
or with nontraditional experience.  Abstracts that are
persuasively written and that catch the reader's interest will
have priority.