Subject: ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 12b (December 15, 1997) 175 Fifth Avenue #217
From: ISGLMP <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:50:04 EST

ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 12b (December 15, 1997)
175 Fifth Avenue #2172, New York, N.Y.  U.S.A.  10010-7703
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FROM THE BOARD OF ISGLMP!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
Tel.: 212-388-0588; Fax: 212-388-0681
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Website: http://www.isglmp.org (beta version thru 12/31/97)

Int’l Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Professionals - 515 strong!

INDEX
A.  How You Can Help by Jim Luce
B.  Atlanta IAEM Conference Great Success
C.  Outreach Education Committee Forms In Atlanta
D.  Upcoming Events: PCMA & MPI
E.  Members Dialogue
F.  ISGLMP In The News: PCMA’s “Convene” Magazine
G.  Editor’s Note: American Airlines not Perfect? by Jim Luce
H.  NGLTF Seeks ISGLMP Assistance by Betsy Gressler
I.   Public Relations Committee Forming by Jeff Tendean
J.  “In Memoriam” Website Page Gets Editor
K.   Madison CVB Gains Seal of Approval
L.  Suppliers Note: Website To Offer “Give-Away Box”
M.  Constitutional Draft Finished
N.  ISGLMP Charter Membership Application Form
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------
A. How You Can Help by Jim Luce
Seasons Greetings!  So many of you have asked how you can help
recently that I have decided you’re not all  “just being polite...”  And,
after careful consideration, I realize that there are lots of way in which
you can really help ISGLMP.  To attract members, we need members.
ISGLMP’s value is that it is a large network.  Thus, the more of your
friends you can get to join, the larger the network and the greater the
value.  Secondly, we want to “approve” as many companies as possible 
with our new “Seal of Approval.”  Just like with membership, the more
“approved” destinations, properties, etc. we have, the more others
will be interested in becoming approved.  Thus, please take a moment
to get the company or companies you are intimately familiar with to
apply for our Seal.  As you know, a company need only meet one of
five criteria to be deemed “gay-friendly.”  And, through you, your own
company will be approved on a complimentary basis (in the spring,
minus connections, it will cost a company $475...)  Thirdly, we need 
you to check out our website more than once - and always supply us
with feedback.  What could be better?  How do we make it better?
A website’s value is often measured by the number of hits it receives -
to date, not each member has even seen it once!  Go check it out!  
Lastly, start to network with the ISGLMP members in your community -
especially those of you in Washington, New York, Chicago, San 
Francisco, Los Angeles and Dallas.  And try to attend as many 
industry conferences as you can - always helping with our program 
and reception.  There’s lots of things you can do to help - just doing
one of them would be really great.  Thanks for asking!  - Jim Luce

P.S.  Special thanks to the Anchorage CVB for sending my three year
old son a Christmas card from Santa at the North Pole!  As always,
the Anchorage CVB goes above and beyond the call of duty!  Wow!

B.  ATLANTA IAEM CONFERENCE GREAT SUCCESS
Our program in Atlanta was a wonderful success, with a breakfast 
meeting of fourteen members, including Joan Eisenstodt (D.C.) 
([email-masked]), David McAuley (Atlanta) ([email-masked]),
Donald Potter (Palm Beach) ([email-masked]), Vince 
Grandinetti (Philadelphia) ([email-masked]), Bob Dallmeyer (L.A.) 
([email-masked]), Rob Hampton (Columbus) 
([email-masked]), Pam Schwartz (San Diego) 
([email-masked]), Richard Yaeger (N.Y.), and Jerry White
(St. Louis) ([email-masked]).

The evening reception was particularly wonderful, and was hosted in 
a suite of the Atlanta Marriott marquis by the New Orleans Marriott, 
James Hennessey (Atlanta), Sales Manager ([email-masked]).
The Marriott staff hosting our reception was particularly lively and we
enjoyed a Mardi Gras theme.  Approximately forty members and friends
joined with us, including staff of the Madison CVB, which has recently 
been approved by ISGLMP as “gay-friendly.”

ISGLMP’s Board particularly wanted to thank IAEM’s president Steven
Hacker of Dallas, a member of ISGLMP’s Advisory Board, for inviting 
us.  In addition, special thanks to James Hennessey of the New Orleans 
Marriott, as well as the Singapore Tourist Promotion Board for hosting
our Breakfast Session.

C.  OUTREACH EDUCATION COMMITTEE FORMS IN ATLANTA
One of the most important issues raised and decided was the creation
of the Outreach Education Committee to work towards submitting Calls
for Papers at upcoming industry meetings such as MPI, ASAE, IGLTA, 
PCMA, etc.  Joan Eisenberg agreed to pull the committee together but
not chair it; rumors of a Los Angeles chair have circulated...

The committee will pursue doing a session with IAEM, but noted that
Nashville (Opryland; their next annual; December 1998) is almost 
closed for sessions.  The thinking was to probably wait until Reno 
for the summer meeting (June 1998) -- a better time to do a session 
because it's more education-directed and thus a better time and place
to do something innovative.

D.  UPCOMING EVENTS - NEXT WEEK IN ATLANTA!
PCMA:  Kansas City, January 7 - 10
Those members planning on attending to date include:
     Tamar Hosansky ([email-masked])
     Rick Osmanski ([email-masked])
     Lee Pomerance, CMP ([email-masked])
     Russ Ruston ([email-masked])
     Andre Valk ([email-masked])
If you are planning on making an appearance in Kansas City, please
let us know!

MPI-PEC:  Orlando, January 25 - 27, 1998
Mark Israel, CMP ([email-masked]) inquires: Will there be a 
meeting at the MPI PEC in Orlando next month?  Lee Pomerance, 
CMP will also be there ([email-masked]).  Members?!

IACVB/Destination Showcase:  Washington, DC, Feb. 26, 1998
ACME:  Washington, DC, Washington, DC, Feb. 26 - 27, 1998

MPI-PEC/Europe:  Copenhagen, April 19 - 21, 1998

IAEM Summer Mtg.:  Reno, June, 1998
ISGLMP-sponsored educational event?

MPI Annual Mtg.:  San Diego, July 12 - 14, 1998

ASAE Annual Mtg.:  Nashville, August 16 - 18, 1998

IAEM Annual Mtg.:  Nashville (Opryland), December, 1998

PCMA Annual Mtg.:  Orlando, January 11 - 13, 1999

E.  MEMBERS DIALOGUE
Note: ISGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions.

‘OVER THE RAINBOW’ WEBSITE PR INITIATIVE
“We received the invitation to your meeting in Atlanta.  Although we 
couldn’t make it, we do want to suggest that in the future you consider 
posting your notice to the Announcements section of the Community 
area on our website.  Take a look:  http://www.overtherainbow.com.”
Any questions, just ask.”  - David Murray, Editor, Over The Rainbow

HOW TO COORDINATE INTERNATIONAL MEETINGS?
“Sorry that I couldn't be in Atlanta.  I was working in Asia & attending
the SITE conference in Singapore.  I didn't have time to organize a 
meeting for ISGLMP, but there were several that were there and 
others that were interested.  Do we want to try and have a system to
be sure that we can cover all major conferences like this one?  I go 
to most of the incentive ones and some of the MPI ones.” 
- Jim Skiba, CMP ([email-masked])

ASSISTANCE NEEDED FOR JOB SEARCH
“Thank you for allowing me to join the ISGLMP.  My company's name 
is Trim Your Meeting and Events, a sole proprietorship company.  I am
in need of assistance...  I would like to know if any of your members are 
looking for a full-time meeting planner or travel director.  I am willing to 
relocate upon short notice.  I have ten years of  destination planning and 
six years of meeting planning.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
I look forward to being involved with ISGLMP.”
- Joseph Vella ([email-masked]; http://www.kvine.com/tyme)

F.  ISGLMP IN THE NEWS: PCMA’S “CONVENE” MAGAZINE
“The Many Textures of Diversity” by Ciritta Park, CAE

Diversity.  A decade ago, it was the latest buzzword in human 
resources.  Today, it promises to be the dominant social issue of 
the 21st century...

The International Society of Gay and Lesbian Meeting Planners 
(ISGLMP) began in 1995 when founder Jim Luce asked the question: 
how do you take your partner on a fam trip?

“I really didn’t have a professional group I could get an answer from,”
Luce said.  “A few faxes later, ISGLMP was born.”  Luce, the executive
director of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis, continued, 
“The meetings profession is relatively gay-friendly, so its not an 
entirely uphill battle.  Still, who you are shouldn’t be a factor in your 
career.”

Members of ISGLMP have reported through their on-line newsletter 
that before ISGLMP was founded, they never really said anything 
about being homosexual.  Now they feel they can identify themselves 
and feel better about not being in the closet on the job.

“People feel accepted,” Luce said.  “They bring pictures of their 
families and keep them on their desks.  It certainly makes for 
healthier employees.”

Promotion to gay and lesbian groups needs to more than window 
dressing.  “Your convention and visitors bureaus can’t just do a gay 
guide and stop there,” Luce said.  We don’t want to be courted only 
for our dollars.  We’re looking to support airlines, hotels, and cities 
that treat their gay and lesbian employees with equality.  That means 
inclusive insurance, family leaves and bereavement policies.”

It is ISGLMP’s goal that sexual orientation is ultimately, a “non-event.”
“Thanks to out efforts, ISGLMP will someday no longer exist,” Luce 
said.  But until we make it an issue, it won’t be an issue to overcome.”
- Criteria Parks, CMP, Convene Magazine (PCMA), December 1997, p. 82

G.  EDITOR’S NOTE: AMERICAN AIR NOT PERFECT? by Jim Luce
Recently it was brought to my attention that I had misspoke when I
projected that American Airlines would receive a “perfect” rating from 
ISGLMP.  One of our members was recently approached by an 
employee of American Airlines who was upset that we had “put 
American on a pedestal” because of their help to our community with
so much with advertising, donations, etc.  American has been a big 
sponsor of our community for years; however, as an employee, he 
told us that they had been pushing American for Domestic Partnership
Benefits for some time and the company continually puts them off and
has not taken action.  

Well, no one is perfect, including me or American Airlines.  And not to 
worry, no company will receive ISGLMP’s “Seal of Approval” without 
full documentation on the five criteria (although a company may qualify
with just one met criteria).  We salute American for the hard work they
have done on our behalf and hope that they will continue to strive to
treat all customers and employees as true equals.  That is the goal of
ISGLMP’s “Seal of Approval.”

H.  NGLTF SEEKS ISGLMP ASSISTANCE by Betsy Gressler
I work at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF) and am 
on the conference management team for our annual Creating Change
conference which draws 2,000 people over a five day period.  We also
do a variety of smaller meetings throughout the year.  I have been on 
the ISGLMP mailing list for a while and have been enjoying hearing 
about what's going on.

Have you given any thought to how ISGLMP may be able to lend 
assistance to g/l groups who need assistance with meeting planning?
I'm thinking about anything from assistance in negotiating hotel 
contracts down to on site execution.  We aren't professional meeting 
planners, but we're professional organizers who plan an annual 
conference.  We do our best and I think we do a pretty good job, but 
we sure would be open to assistance from professionals!

In case your unfamiliar with us, the National Gay and Lesbian Task 
Force has worked to eliminate prejudice, violence and injustice against
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people at the local, state
and national level since its inception in 1973.  As part of a broader 
social justice movement for freedom, justice and equality, NGLTF is
creating a world that respects and celebrates the diversity of human 
expression and identity where all people may fully participate in 
society.  You can find our website at http://www.ngltf.org.

Please let me know who I should speak with or how you think we can
connect.  Thank you for your time! 
- Betsy Gressler, NGLTF ([email-masked]; http://www.ngltf.org)

Editors’ Note: Members - does this sound like a Task Force?! - JL

I.  PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE FORMING by Jeff Tendean
ISGLMP’s second committee to form, following in the footsteps of our
newly-formed Outreach Education Committee, is our Public Relations
Committee.  This committee will assist in publicizing ISGLMP’s 
panels, receptions, websites, awards and directory of gay-friendly 
companies.  The next push will occur around the opening of our web
in January.  Jim Luce has agreed to serve as interim chair of the
committee and may be contacted c/o [email-masked].  Members
wishing to join the Outreach Education Committee please contact
Joan Eisenstodt at [email-masked].  As they say, “a good time will
be had by all!”  Please volunteer to help Jim and Joan - two people
who should not be asked to do any more!  :-)

J.  “IN MEMORIAM” WEBSITE PAGE GETS EDITOR
Alex Lichtenstein, one of our loyal Washington, D.C.-based members, 
has agreed to edit the “In Memorium” page of our website.  This page
is designed to become the electronic “quilt” of the hospitality 
industry and Alex would appreciate any feedback and suggestions 
you have.  You may view the first attempts of page-building at 
http://www.isglmp.org.  Alex may be reached at alex.lichtenstein
@occ.treas.gov.  Thanks, Alex, for you help!

K.  MADISON CVB GAINS SEAL OF APPROVAL
The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau has applied and
been approved as a “gay friendly” corporation, making it one of the
first companies awarded ISGLMP’s Seal of Approval.  

The criteria for ranking each corporation is as follows: 1) Outreach to
lesbian & gay community as customers (incl. targeted advertising, 
guides, etc.);  2) Corporate Equal Opportunity Employment (EOE) 
statement specifically including “sexual orientation;”  3) Domestic 
Partnership (DP) health benefits;  4) Sanctioned and supported 
lesbian & gay employee group, and 5) Significant contributions to the 
lesbian & gay community (incl. AIDS service organizations). 

The Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau qualifies by 
stating in it’s Employee Manual, “Factors not relevant to the Bureau in 
measuring its applicants or its employees include age, race, religion, creed, 
sex, color, handicap, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation,
ancestry
and/or any characteristic protected by local, state or federal law.”  

Several GMCVB reps joined us at IAEM in Atlanta and ISGLMP Member
Elizabeth Glinski is the Sales Manager for the GMCVB.  They may be 
reached at [email-masked].

L.  SUPPLIERS NOTE: WEBSITE TO OFFER “GIVE-AWAY BOX”
As a tool to promote our new website, ISGLMP wishes to create a 
“Give-Away Box” filled with supplier-supplied goodies which will be 
awarded to the 100th e-mail response to a particular supplier.  The 
give-away will be available to ISGLMP members only, however 
complimentary Charter Membership is available through June 30.  
Any supplier wishing to supply a give-away item should contact Jim
Luce directly at [email-masked].  The “Give-Away Box” will be 
used to promote our new website starting in January, when we send 
out press releases to the industry and community media.

M.  ISGLMP CONSTITUTIONAL DRAFT FINISHED
The Board of Directors is pleased to announce that our Constitution
has been drafted with the pro bono assistance of Delbridge Narron,
Esq., of Kramer, Levin in New York.  It is available to ISGLMP Advisory 
Board Members by request and will be posted on our website after
full approval in January 1998.  The Constitution is an integral step
in the legal process leading towards charter status as a not-for-profit
New York State corporation, as well as our 501(c)3 tax-exempt status 
as same by the Internal Revenue Service.  Anyone outside of the
Advisory Board with expertise in these issues willing to volunteer
ideas and suggestions is more than welcome to contact Jim Luce,
Board President, personally at [email-masked].

N.  CHARTER MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION & QUESTIONNAIRE
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Tel.:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Website:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998-99 Advisory Board?
Would your company like to be considered as “Gay-Friendly”?
(please mail/fax documentation on five criteria under separate cover)
Where did you hear about ISGLMP?
Other professional membership?
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does your company provide:
1) Outreach to lesbian & gay community as customers 
     (incl. targeted advertising, guides, etc.); 
___ yes ___ no

2) Corporate Equal Opportunity Employment (EOE) statement 
     specifically including “sexual orientation;”  
___ yes ___ no

3) Domestic Partnership (DP) health benefits;
___ yes ___ no

4) Sanctioned and supported lesbian & gay employee group; and  
___ yes ___ no

5) Significant contributions to the lesbian & gay community  
     (incl. AIDS service organizations).
___ yes ___ no
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date:

Note: Charter Membership, open until June 30, 1998, is 
complimentary.  Charter Members may apply to have their 
qualifying corporation approved with the ISGLMP "Seal of Approval" 
on a complimentary basis.  As of July 1, 1998 annual dues will 
be invoiced at U.S. $110 per annum and all gay-friendly approval 
will require a $475 processing fee.