Subject: ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 11b (November 15, 1997)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:49:23 -0500 (EST)

ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 11b (November 15, 1997)
175 Fifth Avenue #2172, New York, N.Y.  U.S.A.  10010-7703
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----
Tel.: 212-388-0588; Fax: 212-388-0681
E-Mail: [email-masked]
Website: http://www.isglmp.org (beta version thru 12/31/97)

Int’l Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Professionals - 507 strong!

INDEX
A.  Directory Heralds Stronger ISGLMP Influence by Jim Luce
B.  “Gay-Friendly” Criteria Established by Jeff Tendean
C.  Upcoming Events: IAEM & PCMA
D.  Members Dialogue
E.  Manhattan Law Firm Provides ISGLMP Pro-bono Assistance
F.  Help Needed with Website Networking
G.  ISGLMP Charter Membership Application Form
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------
A. DIRECTORY HERALDS STRONGER INFLUENCE by Jim Luce
Our Board has approved the system to screen companies wishing to
be deemed “Gay-Friendly” by ISGLMP - with a straight-forward and
objective criteria.  This move puts ISGLMP at the forefront of the effort
to make corporate America -- as well as the entire world -- more 
‘user-friendly’ and accountable to the lesbian and gay community.

In order to begin momentum with this project, we are offering to screen 
the company of any ISGLMP member gratis through June 30, 1997.
To be considered, please contact us with which of the five criteria you
believe your company qualifies for and the corresponding 
documentation (the criteria can be found in the article below).  All 
approved companies will be awarded use of our Seal of Approval for 
use in advertising, will be listed in our Directory available on the 
internet (http:www.isglmp.org), and will be publicized in any press 
releases dealing with this project.  In addition, this newsletter will 
update members periodically of newly approved destinations, 
properties, airlines, services, etc.

Please note that I will be doing site selections for the American 
Academy of Psychoanalysis in Japan next week -- as well as recruiting 
for ISGLMP -- so the National Office will be close.   Sorry for any 
inconvenience.  See y'all in Atlanta! - Jim Luce

B.  “GAY-FRIENDLY” CRITERIA ESTABLISHED by Jeff Tendean
The Board of Directors has approved the five criteria which will 
comprise ISGLMP’s 1-through-5 lavender triangle rating system.
Each approved destination or supplier will earn the privilege of 
displaying ISGLMP’s Seal of Approval, a globe imposed over an 
inverted lavender triangle surrounded by thirteen golden stars
(see our web homepage for full-color representation of the seal.)
Each approved company will also receive a specific 1-through-5 
rating.  The criteria for ranking each corporation is as follows:

1) Outreach to lesbian & gay community as customers 
     (incl. targeted advertising, guides, etc.); 
2) Corporate Equal Opportunity Employment (EOE) statement 
     specifically including “sexual orientation;”  
3) Domestic Partnership (DP) health benefits;
4) Sanctioned and supported lesbian & gay employee group; and  
5) Significant contributions to the lesbian & gay community  
     (incl. AIDS service organizations).

To be rated, a company needs to provide documentation to ISGLMP 
to be kept on file and a $475 processing fee.  All ratings will be listed
at our new web-site (http://www.isglmp.org).  To date, several 
CVB’s are contenders for a high rating, including Philadelphia,
Minneapolis and Montréal.  Additionally, American Airlines and 
Disney are projected to earn perfect ratings.  Disney was recipient 
of ISGLMP’s 1997 “Corporation of the Year” Award, announced 
during the American Society of Association Executives (ASAE) 
Conference in Chicago last spring.

C.  UPCOMING EVENTS
IAEM:  ISGLMP’s next public forum will be a breakfast study group 
at the International Association for Exposition Management 
Conference, in Atlanta, Dec. 3, 7:30 - 8:45 am.  The topic 
will be “Introduction To ISGLMP: Why Is It Needed?”  The 
moderators will tentatively include ISGLMP members Rob 
Hampton (Columbus Convention & Visitors Bureau), Vincent 
Grandinetti, CHSE (Director of Sales, Philadelphia Convention &
 Visitors Bureau), Jerry White (Director of Member Services, 
International Association of Conference Centers), industry 
columnist Joan Eisenstodt (D.C.) and Jim Luce (American Academy 
of Psychoanalysis, N.Y.).  Steven Hacker, CAE, serves as president 
of IAEM, which is located in Dallas.  Hacker, as well as Hampton and 
Grandinetti, serve on ISGLMP’s International Advisory Board; 
Luce serves as president.

Would any Atlanta supplier like to host a reception for ISGLMP 
(30-40 people) for the evening of Wednesday, December 3?  
Please contact the ISGLMP National Office!

PCMA:  January 7 - 10: this is around the corner and we have no 
definite plans as of yet.  Several members, including Russ Ruston 
and Andre Valk, have suggested ideas and we hope to have a report 
by December 1.

D.  MEMBERS DIALOGUE
Note: ISGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions; these will 
be considered for attribution unless a specific request is made for 
non-consideration of publication.  ISGLMP will no longer run
anonymous submissions.

NEW WEBSITE FEEDBACK
“I’ve tried your website (and found only two problems) - everything I 
used was great - thanks!”  - Beverly Ulbrich

AT&T LEADS THE WAY WITH AFFIRMING ‘EOE’ STATEMENT
“Congratulations on your site.  Really great.  You folks are really 
going to make a difference!  I would like to see ISGLMP link to our 
web site (www.league-att.org).  AT&T is also the gay-friendliest
telephone company in this country.  Additionally, AT&T has the 
nation's oldest non-discrimination policy regarding sexual orientation, 
which was added to the corporation's EOE statement in 1975 and 
then covered over one million employees.  AT&T also strongly 
supports its Lesbian & Gay Employees Association, LEAGUE,  
which -- with over 1,000 members -- is the largest L/B/G/T employee 
organization in America.  The company supports LEAGUE's annual 
Professional Development Conference, diversity training and 
marketing efforts to our community.  Additionally, through its 
foundation and other programs, AT&T has supported AIDS programs 
across the country since the epidemic began.”  
- John Klenert, AT&T Lesbian & Gay Employee Association  
([email-masked])

G&L JEWISH HOSPITALITY STUDENT MENTORS NEEDED
“Regarding Patti Shock's post about mentoring:  I add that I am in 
search of gay and lesbian Jewish hospitality industry professionals in 
the Washington, DC metro area who would like to mentor G&L Jewish
students through the George Washington University Hillel.  As a G.W.
Hillel Board member, I am most interested in ensuring that all the 
Hillel students are included.  This is an opportunity to do a mitzvah 
[good deed] and to have some fun doing so.  If any ISGLMP members
in the D.C. area have Jewish friends in other professions, we'd 
welcome them too.  Thanks.”  - Joan Eisenstodt ([email-masked])

E.  NYC LAW FIRM PROVIDES ISGLMP PRO-BONO ASSISTANCE
The prestigious law firm of Kramer, Levin has agreed to represent 
ISGLMP on a pro-bono basis effective immediately.  The law firm will 
concentrate most on the immediate conclusion of ISGLMP’s
incorporation and vetting of all subsequent materials for legal liability.
ISGLMP’s Board of Directors expresses its sincerest thanks to
attorney Delbridge Narron for his vital services to our organization.

F.  HELP NEEDED WITH WEBSITE NETWORKING
Please log on to our new website (http://www.isglmp.org), see what’s 
there, send us suggestions for improvement - then surf the web 
looking for places that should know about us!  So far we are listed on 
most search engines and are receiving 2-3 requests for information 
per day as a result of our exposure.  Let’s increase the exposure!  We
hope to unveil the site to the press and our friends in the industry the
first week in January.  Let’s make sure we’re up to speed for this 
‘grand opening.’  Any feedback you can offer will be much appreciated.
Also - make sure that we’ve listed you - if you wish to be listed!  And
finally, please send a personal note to your friends telling them to hit 
our site and give us feedback.  Thanks!

G.  CHARTER MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION & QUESTIONNAIRE
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Telephone (Voice):
Fax:
E-Mail:
Website:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998-99 Advisory Board?
Would your company like to be considered as “Gay-Friendly”?
(please mail documentation on five criteria under separate cover)
Where did you hear about ISGLMP?
Other professional membership?
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------
Does your company provide:
1) Outreach to lesbian & gay community as customers 
     (incl. targeted advertising, guides, etc.); 
___ yes ___ no

2) Corporate Equal Opportunity Employment (EOE) statement 
     specifically including “sexual orientation;”  
___ yes ___ no

3) Domestic Partnership (DP) health benefits;
___ yes ___ no

4) Sanctioned and supported lesbian & gay employee group; and  
___ yes ___ no

5) Significant contributions to the lesbian & gay community  
     (incl. AIDS service organizations).
___ yes ___ no
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------
Date:

Note: Charter Membership, open until June 30, 1998, is comp-
limentary.  As of July 1, 1998 - the start of our corporate second 
year - annual dues will be invoiced at U.S. $110 per annum.