Subject: ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 7 (July 1, 1997)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 18:29:02 -0400 (EDT)

ISGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 7 (July 1, 1997)
175 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2172, New York, N.Y.      10010-7703
TELEPHONE: 212-388-0588; FAX: 212-388-0681; E-MAIL: [email-masked]

The American Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Planners - 443 members

INDEX
A.  Editorial: “International Meeting Professionals” We Are! by Jim Luce
B.  Convention Receptions - BRING A FRIEND!
C. Successful Meetings: “ASGLMP Experiences Rapid Growth”
D.  Resolution To Affirm Disney As ‘Corporation Of The Year’
E.  Dialogue
F.  AHMA Holding Conference On ‘Diversity’ by Matthew Mueller
G.  New Name Brings Logo Competition by David Riederman, CAE
H.  E-Mail Expertise Needed by Jeff Tendean
I.  ISGLMP Charter Membership Application Form
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------
A.  EDITORIAL: “INTERNATIONAL MEETING PROFESSIONALS” WE ARE!
As Hong Kong changes from Britain to the People’s Republic, ASGLMP has
changed, by vote of both our National Advisory Board and Corporate Board of
Directors, to ISGLMP.  July 1, 1997 marks the official name change.  Although

not in the same league, both changes will impact the world in ways which we 
don’t even realize at this moment in time.  Twenty-five years ago another
group
was formed - Meeting Planners International.  Today, we have a better
industry 
as a direct result of the magnificent work done on behalf of all of us by
MPI.  

Our hope is that twenty-five years hence, the world will be not be merely
gay-
tolerant, nor gay-friendly, but simply gay-indifferent.  At that point our
mission 
will have been accomplished, we can fold up our banner, and go on with our
professional lives. Until that glorious day arrives, however, we must strive
to
educate both the general public and the meeting industry, internationally, 
about the presence of lesbians and gays within the meeting industry, to 
educate the international gay & lesbian community about the importance of 
the meeting industry, and to educate the public about specifically
gay-friendly 
and gay-hostile suppliers, associations and destinations.  - Jim Luce

B.  ISGLMP CONVENTION RECEPTIONS - BRING A FRIEND!
ASAE:  Our Welcoming Reception in Chicago will be on Monday, July 28, 
from 9 pm until Midnight.  It is being very generously hosted and sponsored 
by the Regal Knickerbocker Hotel, at 163 East Walton Place.  Senior Sales
Manager Derek Stockman (312-867-7519) has been instrumental in arranging 
this fine reception.  On-the-scene Advisory Board member R. Russ Ruston 
of the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians is assisting with
local logistics ([email-masked]).  Other local members involved with 
ISGLMP include Brian Hile, of Fairmont Hotels, and Andre Valk, of Hinton &
Grusich; both may be reached at [email-masked].

MPI: Welcoming Reception, Monday, August 4, 7 - 9 pm.  Advisory Board
members Kenneth Hemsley and Donna Jeanette have worked out space 
at the Baltimore Convention Center and hosting by the Netherlands Convention
Bureau respectively.  We would again like to express our deepest thanks to 
MPI, the Baltimore Convention Center and the Netherlands Convention Bureau. 
Ken Hemsley writes: “It is especially gratifying to realize that MPI
recognizes 
and accepts the diversity within our industry.  How gracious of this
organization 
to share its space with us.”

IAEM:  December 3-5 in Atlanta.  No exact time set yet, but Advisory Board
member Steven Hacker, CAE, President, International Association of Exposition
Management has offered to provide space and refreshments to ASGLMP.  
Please mark your calendars for Atlanta!  

IGLTA:  Advisory Board member and IGLTA Board member Vincent Grandinetti,
CHSE, Director of Sales, Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau is
working
with us to assure ASGLMP representation at the next International Gay & 
Lesbian Travel Association convention.

C.  SUCCESSFUL MEETINGS: “ASGLMP EXPERIENCES RAPID GROWTH”
By Ron Donoho
“Jim Luce never expected his idea to catch on so quickly.  Yet since last
December the organization he formed -- the American Society of Gay & Lesbian
Meeting Planners  (ASGLMP) -- has amassed more than 400 members.  
Now, major industry associations are taking notice.”

“The group will meet for the first time on August 4 at the Baltimore
Convention
Center during Meeting Professionals International’s World Education Congress
(MPI has officially sanctioned the event).  ASGLMP Advisory Board members
arranged for space at the center, and a party is being hosted by the
Netherlands
Convention Bureau.”

“At presstime, Luce was also trying to arrange a get together in Chicago
during 
the annual meeting of the American Society of Association Executives at the 
end of this month.  ASGLMP has received confirmation to convene in Atlanta
during the December 3-5 annual meeting of the International Association for
Exposition Management.  IAEM President Steven Hacker personally invited the
group to come, and will arrange for free space and refreshments.”

“You'd think Luce would be ecstatic about ASGLMP's achievements.
"Actually, this is all getting to be a problem," he says.  "It's so time
consuming."  
ASGLMP is not yet a chartered association.  There are no dues.  Luce acts
as head of the group on a part-time basis.  His full-time job is as executive

director of the New York-based American Academy of Psychoanalysis (AAP).
While putting in more than 40 hours a week with the company that pays him a
salary, Luce also spends close to 30 hours managing ASGLMP.”

"I'm not getting paid for any of this extra work," he says.  "We don't have
an 
office or six secretaries working for us."  When the AAP recently met in San
Diego, Luce says he brought his laptop along and was deluged with e-mail
regarding ASGLMP business.”

“To date, the primary means of communication among ASGLMP members has
been a widely read e-mail newsletter.  In it, Luce is not afraid to take
controversial
stands.  He has called for boycotts of destinations deemed gay unfriendly.
 The
newsletter has also called for support of corporations that ran
advertisements
during the now famous Ellen episode, in which the TV show's lead Character
announced she was lesbian.  

"We got about twenty letters from members after the Ellen show," says Luce.
"It may be somewhat out of the realm of meeting planning, but it was what our
members were talking about. They felt it was important."  

“Though Luce says ASGLMP will always be "an adjunct" to groups such as 
the 14,000-member MPI, industry observers wonder why such subgroups are
necessary in the first place.  "I don't understand the need for a
special-interest
group such as gay and lesbian meeting planners any more than the need for a
group for Jewish meeting planners, or ones with dark hair, or ones who like
chocolate, says Lindsey Lacovino.

But independent planner Joan Eisenstodt, a self-professed "straight but not
narrow" person, has joined ASGLMP.  "We all like being with our own," she 
says, "and withthose who are empathetic to who we are and what we do.  
There are issues that cannot be discussed at mainstream events."  If
diversity 
and inclusively issues were really on the front burner adds Eisenstodt, then 
maybe groups like ASGLMP wouldn’t be necessary.”

“Charter memberships in the group are still free.  However, Luce says if
membership keeps increasing, a fee might be established sometime in 1998. 
In the meantime, he's considering a small modification of the ASGLMP 
moniker: "  American" may become "International"; and "Planners" may become
"Professionals."  

D. RESOLUTION TO AFFIRM DISNEY AS ‘CORPORATION OF YEAR’
The ISGLMP National Advisory Board, at the request of our Corporate Board 
of Directors, is hereby officially polled, yea or nay, on the following
proposed
resolution:

“Resolved, that The Walt Disney Corporation is hereby deemed by the Board 
of Directors of the International Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting
Professionals,
as the ‘Corporation of the Year’ for 1997 for their gay-friendly environment,
their
corporate policy of offering health benefits to partners of gay employees,
“Gay
Days” offered at their theme parks, and the non-judgmental content of their
TV 
and film programming.”

“Be it further resolved that, having grown up with The Magical Kingdom, we 
affirm that -- contrary to the opinions of those with hate in their hearts --

Walt Disney is the epitome of traditional family values.”

Any ISGLMP members wishing to weigh in on this matter, pro or con, are
welcome to address their remarks to our “Dialogue” section.

E. DIALOGUE
NOTES: ISGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions.  All submissions 
will be considered for attribution unless a specific request is made for non-
consideration of publication and/or anonymity.

“Your newsletters are getting better each time, I sincerely applaud
ISGLMP...” 
- Jackey Irby, CapStar Hotels ([email-masked])

F.  AHMA HOLDING CONFERENCE ON ‘DIVERSITY’ by Matthew Mueller
Successful Meetings reported in June that the American Hotel & Motel
Association (AHMA) gave a conference on “diversity” and nobody came.  
This is too bad.  If anyone has any connections there, please let them know 
that ISGLMP would be more than happy to field representatives for another
conference as we believe diversity is the key to a health meeting industry, 
and that understanding and embracing diversity is the most healthy
perspective 
for an individual to have working within the industry.  The article discussed
the
presence of African-Americans, Asians, Hispanics and Native Americans, but 
did not discuss diversity outside of ethnicity, such as sexual orientation.

G.  NEW NAME BRINGS LOGO COMPETITION by David Riederman, CAE
ISGLMP needs a new logo and your input is vital!  With our new name, The
International Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Professionals, we need a 
new logo.  The old logo, for ASGLMP, featured a lavender continental U.S.
surrounded by 13 golden stars, with the initials superimposed in royal blue.

In the spirit of visibility at industry meetings, the creator of the logo
will receive
a complimentary registration to the industry meeting of their choice.

H.  E-MAIL EXPERTISE NEEDED by Jeff Tendean
Can any of you weigh in here?  We transmit the Monthly E-Mail through AOL.
Each paragraph flows from start to finish with no breaks.  However, many 
non-AOL subscribers receive the newsletter al  “chopped up.”  What can 
ISGLMP do differently, or what advise can we give to our readers, to receive
the
newsletter as transmitted?  Please respond to [email-masked].  Thanks!

I.  ISGLMP CHARTER MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Telephone:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998 Advisory Board?
Where did you hear about ISGLMP?
Other professional membership?
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually?
Date:

Note: Charter Membership, open until June 30, 1998, is complimentary.  
As of July 1, 1998 - the start of our corporate second year - annual dues 
will be invoices at $110 per annum.