Subject: ASGLMP SPECIAL EDITION E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 6-b (June 15, 1997)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:51:36 -0400 (EDT)

ASGLMP SPECIAL EDITION E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 6-b (June 15, 1997)
175 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2172, New York, N.Y.        10010-7703
TELEPHONE: 212-388-0588; FAX: 212-388-0681; E-MAIL: [email-masked]

The American Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Planners - 432 members

INDEX
A.  Editorial: Working Together Within the Community
B.  ASGLMP Names Changes Approved Unanimously
C.  Convention Receptions - Update
D.  “ASGLMP” to “ISGLMP” Cancels Associate Membership Category
E.  ASGLMP Advisory Board Member Asked to Speak in Chicago
F.  Members Consider Chapter in Chicago
G.  Dialogue
H.  Women’s BeachFest ‘97 in Monterey
I.  WomenFest ‘97 (Key West) Update
J.  Help us Monitor the Media
K.  ASGLMP Charter Membership Application Form
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
A. EDITORIAL: WORKING TOGETHER WITHIN THE COMMUNITY by Jim Luce
Part of creating an organization is trying not to step on the toes of those
who, with neither incorporation nor publicity, have gone before us.  Lesbian
and gay meeting professionals have existed - and have been meeting - for
years, but they have never sought high visibility.  We have much to learn
from these groups...  And we formally request that we work together, as
lesbian & gay meeting professionals.  We encourage the informal groups who
have been meeting over the years to contact me directly at [email-masked] so
that we may work towards a united front.

B. ASGLMP NAMES CHANGES APPROVED UNANIMOUSLY
Following the tentative approval of Advisory Board member David Riederman’s
suggestion by the Board of Directors, the National Advisory Board has voted
unanimously to change the “American” designation to “International;” and
“Planners” to “Professionals.”  The change will go into effect as of July 1,
1997.  

Below are random comments by Advisory Board members concerning the changes:

“I am in support of the two "name" changes of the association.  Given the
current trend and early stage of the association; it makes sense...” - Mark
Theis, Director, Eastern Region, Los Angeles Convention & Visitors Bureau
Sales

“I agree with the name change from American to International and from
planners to professionals.  We will definitely have more of a global
outlook.”  - Donna Jeannette, Netherlands Convention Bureau

“In response to the name change of ASGLMP, I think you guys are right on...
and much better to do it now rather than later.”  - Sheri Scavo, Association
of Legal Administrators 

“I fully endorse changing the name of ASGLMP to the International Society of
Gay and Lesbian Meeting Professionals.”  - Jason Hendrix, Special Projects
Director, NASTAD

“Definitely Change the name to Professionals... you're leaving out the whole
Supplier base, and the other associations (MPI, SGMP, etc.) have done it.
 Also, International is a good change.   I know some Canadians who would LOVE
to join.”  - Charles Massey, CMP, SYNAXIS/Los Angeles - West Hollywood, CA

“I'm all for International and Professional - both changes sound great to
me!” -  Sam Gonzalez, Events Planner, Investment Banking, Smith Barney

 “I think the term "Professional" is good but for a different reason...  Many
potential members of the Society are/could be folks whose primary focus may
not be actual meeting planning, but rather may be some related profession or
industry. (i.e. Association execs. who happen to do meeting planning as a
part of their job...).. Of course, additionally, if it is the desire of the
Society to not only include U.S. members, but also other individuals who
would like to belong but live somewhere other than North America, then it
makes good sense to incorporate the “International” focus within the name.  -
Steve Smith, Ohio State University

C.  ASGLMP CONVENTION RECEPTIONS - UPDATE
MPI: Welcoming Reception, Monday, August 4, 7 - 9 pm.  Advisory Board members
Kenneth Hemsley and Donna Jeanette have worked out space at the Baltimore
Convention Center and hosting by the Netherlands Convention Bureau
respectively.  We would like to express our deepest thanks to MPI, the
Baltimore Convention Center and the Netherlands Convention Bureau.  Please
mark your calendars for MPI and we’ll see you there!

ASAE:  The game plan is to possibly have our Welcoming Reception in Chicago
Sunday or Monday pm, July 27/28.  We need volunteers to assist with working
out space and hosting details.  Advisory Board member R. Russ Ruston of the
American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians has offered to assist with
logistics.  Please contact the National Office or Russ  ([email-masked])
if you have any ideas.

IAEM:  December 3-5 in Atlanta.  No exact time set yet, but Advisory Board
member Steven Hacker, CAE, President, International Association of Exposition
Management has offered to provide space and refreshments to ASGLMP.  Please
mark your calendars for Atlanta!

IGLTA:  Advisory Board member and IGLTA Board member Vincent Grandinetti,
CHSE, Director of Sales, Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau is
working with us to assure ASGLMP representation at the next International Gay
& Lesbian Travel Association convention.

Editors’ note: what have we missed?  Also help us to network with older,
informal lesbian & gay professionals networks!

D.  “ASGLMP” TO “ISGLMP” CANCELS ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP CATEGORY
The Advisory Boards’ recent decision to change the name of the American
Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Planners to International Society of Gay &
Lesbian Meeting Professionals (“ISGLMP”) has created a significant membership
category shift for our organization: the merge of Membership and Associate
Membership.  Previously only meeting planners could be ASGLMP “Members,”
while non-meeting planners such as hotel & airline reps, and CVB & DMP
personnel could become “Associate Members.”  However, with the shift from
“Meeting Planners” to “Professionals,” following in the footsteps of MPI’s
development, now association planners and hotel sales managers will be on an
even footing.

“The costs of this name change are significant,” states Jeff Tendean,
co-coordinator.  “We have had to re-work the logo to replace the U.S. with
the world, and change all literature to reflect the combine membership
categories.”   However, in the words of Board V.P. Matthew Mueller, of the
Capital Hilton, “It’s better we make these changes in our first year; the
costs associated with name changes would have been much more severe in the
future.”

E.  ASGLMP ADVISORY BOARD MEMBER ASKED TO SPEAK IN CHICAGO
Recently R. Russ Ruston, a member of the National Advisory Board, was asked
to speak to the Chicago Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce on behalf of
ASGLMP, July 14.  He was contacted them through the National Office, and he
wrote back a letter stating that he was most willing to assist speaking about
the meeting planning industry.  As we move forward, we may well encounter
more and more requests for speakers.

Russ comments modestly, “If there are any lesbian or gay meeting company
owners in Chicago, they might be better suited for this talk... most of those
involved in the Chamber are apparently business owners ... do we have any one
in ASGLMP that fits that description?  Again, I don't have any problem doing
it... just thought we might have a better fit.”

F.  MEMBERS CONSIDER CHAPTER IN CHICAGO by Brian Hile & Andre Valk
In an effort to bring together the Greater Chicago ASGLMP members, for
networking purposes as well as to assist with future social functions/events
such as assisting Advisory Board member R. Russ Ruston with our Welcoming
Reception for the ASAE Meeting (possibly Sunday or Monday pm, July 27/28), we
have approached the ASGLMP National Office to share with us who those local
members are.  Since the office only keeps a list with e-mail addresses at
this point (addresses are in hard-copy files), it is impossible to ascertain
the actual location of the members... therefore we kindly ask you - the
Greater Chicago ASGLMP members - to identify yourself to us.  We are trying
to compile a list of Chicago members.  Perhaps we can even 'found' the
"ASGLMP-CAC" (CAC meaning Chicago Area Chapter someday... for those not
familiar with the name from MPI).  We hope to hear from you soon and lay the
groundwork for the largest ASGLMP-local chapter!

Editors’ Note: Brian Hile, Fairmont Hotels - Chicago National Sales Office,
and Andre Valk, Hinton & Grusich may be reached at [email-masked];
National Advisory Board Member R. Russ Ruston, of the American College of
Osteopathic Family Physicians, is available at [email-masked].

G.  DIALOGUE
NOTES: ASGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions.  All submissions
will be considered for attribution unless a specific request is made for
non-consideration of publication and/or anonymity.

“Relative to your editorial... I was glad to hear you note that the common
thread here seems to be a "personal and professional need for bonding,
coupled with the belief that we are a community that needs to be known by our
peers" and "by ourselves."  Representing the osteopathic family physicians
does not necessarily require or support consideration of the gay-friendly
status of a supplier or vendor as compared to the needs of a "community"
organization.  However, as a gay planner, my personal needs in terms of
support and development are cause for me to seek out those individuals with
similar interests and that is my primary reason for wanting to be involved
with ASGLMP.  My willingness to access gay talent, wisdom and experience far
surpasses my willingness to look for these same attributes from other
sources... certainly personally... but professionally as well.  It is just
easier to "talk", if you know what I mean.  Thanks for providing that
opportunity.  It most definitely "fosters our own self-respect".  - R. Russ
Ruston, American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians, Chicago
([email-masked])

“Hello.  I am a meeting planner with the Department of Treasury in
Washington, DC.  My co-worker and I noticed the article in Meeting News and
would like to become members.  - Rick Freda, Conference Specialist,
Comptroller of the Currency, Washington, DC

“Jim: On the advice of Michael Clarke, I wanted to write you to tell you I
would greatly appreciate being a member of your organization.  Not only do I
feel it is a great opportunity for myself to meet new people and make new
business contacts, but I believe that our community is so well represented in
this sector of our community, that it would be an honor for me just to be a
part of it.  I also would like to be considered for the 1998 Advisory Board.
 On the business end of it, I would like to speak with you of how to market
myself with your organization, and what the costs would be to advertise in
your newsletter and other publications.  When your time permits, you can view
more about my work and background on my web page at www.davepallone.
 Thank-you in advance for your co-operation, and I look forward to speaking
and meeting you soon.” - Dave Pallone

“Dear Mr. Luce: A couple months ago, one of the editors at Meetings &
Conventions Magazine, Marc Boisclair, wrote an article about ASGLMP.  As M&C's
 News Editor, I wanted to follow up with you.  I hear that you are planning
your first meeting in conjunction with MPI's annual meeting in Baltimore.  I
wanted to get the details, as well as find out how many members have joined
since you formed the organization.  Thank you for your assistance and best
wishes.”  - Dana Nigro, Meetings & Conventions

“To the Editors: I genuinely applaud your efforts with the development of
this organization.  Having been a meeting professional for the past sixteen
years, I am certainly aware of the vast numbers of gay and lesbian
professionals within our field.  It is well past time for us to join together
in a recognized association.  I look forward to being able to take an active
role in the organization.  Please feel free to call on me in any way that may
be helpful.”  - Alex Lichtenstein, Washington, D.C.
([email-masked])

“Mr. Luce: Let me start by congratulating you and the members of your newly
formed organization.  Connections is a total travel management company that
specializes in assisting various associations with meeting planning services.
 Our services range from hotel site selection, hotel negotiations, on site
assistance as warranted, to even taking reservations in our very own housing
department.  Although Connections is not gay owned, 90% of our personalized
staff is gay, therefore exemplifying just how "gay friendly" we are.  As a
matter of fact we are currently doing the housing for the Hotlanta River Expo
- Atlanta's largest gay planned summer funfest.  In addition, we are also
assisting the National Lesbian & Gay Health Association in planning the 1998
National AIDS Conference.  I would also like to request some information on
ASGLMP and how to become a member and all pertinent details pertaining to
costs, member listings, etc., since we plan numerous meetings nationwide and
in Canada.  I look forward to hearing from you soon!”  - Edward G. "Beau"
Bailey, II, Director of Sales ([email-masked])

“Good morning!  I am looking into the idea of going back to school (at least
part time) to get a degree in Hospitality Administration.  If I do, I will be
attending Georgia State University.  Does anyone know of any scholarships
available in the hospitality industry?  Thanks so much!”  - David Brockman,
American Express/GAMS ([email-masked])

“To whom it may concern: I am a gay meeting planner and was very pleased to
read about your recently formed association in Successful Meetings. My
company does corporate meetings internationally as well as trade shows.  I
would like for you to send me information regarding your membership. - Jaime
Rosales, Meeting Manager, Concepts Meeting & Trade Show Management, Inc.
([email-masked])

“Hello there.  Saw the recent notice in Association Meetings about ASGLMP. I
have been an association meeting planner for almost fifteen years and am
happy to have a gay networking group available.  There is only so much
networking a gay or lesbian can do through ASAE.  Please send me more
information and a membership application...  - Name Withheld by Request

H.  WOMEN’S BEACH FEST ‘97 IN MONTEREY by Robin Tyler
After producing 25 women's Music & Comedy Festivals, the First International
Gay & Lesbian Comedy Festival (in Sydney, Australia) and the Main Stages for
the 1987 and 1993 March on Washington, in addition to Women's Cruises and
International Tours, Robin Tyler Productions is proud to announce the First
Annual West Coast Women's Beach Fest over Labor Day Weekend in Monterey,
California. (Friday Aug. 29 - Monday Sept. 1, 1997).  Monterey is two hours
from San Francisco, on the edge of Carmel and Big Sur.  This three day/three
night event at the DoubleTree Hotel (on the Bay by the Beach)  features
party's, concerts, dances, a “lesbian luau” spectacular on the Beach,
workshops and other events.  If you like cruises, like festivals, like
Dinah... you will love Beach Fest.  Thousands of women are expected to
attend.  

For further information write:  Robin Tyler Productions, Inc.  15842 Chase
St., North Hills, Ca.  91343 telephone: (818) 893-4075 Fax (818) 893-1593 or
e-mail your address to [email-masked] and request a Women's Beach Fest/97
Brochure!!

I.  WOMENFEST ‘97 (KEY WEST) UPDATE by Jacqueline Harrington
Thank you to all who have inquired about WomenFest '97, taking place from
September 3rd - 9th in Key West, Florida.  The WomenFest Street Fair
featuring our Sisters for Brothers Blood Drive will be held on Saturday,
September 7th.  The Fair will begin at 10 am and run thru 6 pm.  Vendor
Spaces are available for $200 and include a six foot table and two chairs.
 Attendance will be over 6,000 women.  Please call Jacqueline Harrington at
305-296-4238 to get details and reserve your spot.

The WomenFest Better Ball Golf Scramble will take place on a Reece Jones
designed golf course.  Your $125 per player entry fee includes: Greens Fees,
Cart, Welcome Package, Continental Breakfast, Hole & Overall Prizes and an
Award Luncheon.  Part of the proceeds of this event will go to the WomenFest
Breast Cancer Support Group.

To Register, We need your name, address and phone number plus your Handicap
or Last 5 scores. Even if you have never played before, we can find a place
for you.  You can organize your own foursome or we can assign you playing
partners.  Rental clubs are available (limited amount).  The deadline for
registration is August 1.  A minimum of 60 players, First come/First Serve,
is needed for this event to happen.

Hotels that still have rooms include: 
   - Banana Bay Resorts 800-Banana-1    Alexander's 800-654-9919
   - Island Key Courts 800-296-1196     Holiday Inn La Concha  800-745-2191
   - Chelsea House 800-845-8859         Atlantic Shores Resort 800-526-3559
   - La Te Da 800-528-3320     Simonton Court  800-944-2687  Colours
 800-459-6212
   - Curry House 800- 633-7439      William Anthony House  800-613-2276
   - Red Rooster 800-845 0285     White Street Inn   800-207-9797
Ask for your WomenFest rate when calling these hotels! 

If you'd like a schedule of events sent to you after June 20th, please send a
Self Addressed Stamped Envelope (SASE) to: WomenFest Key West, 201 Coppitt
Road #106-A, Key West, FL  33040

J.  HELP US MONITOR MEDIA by Jeff Tendean
It’s a tough problem to have - we’re being covered more than we can keep up
with!  To date, we only have hard copies of the following articles:

   - Meeting News, 1/20/97 (by Seth Goldstein)
   - Corporate Meetings Incentives, March ‘97
   - Meetings & Conventions, March ‘97 (by Marc Boisclair)
   - Insurance Conference Planner, March/April ‘97
   - Association Meetings, April ‘97
   - U.S.A.E., 4/8/97 (by Shane Artim)
   - Successful Meetings, May ‘97 (by Ron Donaho)

The “Where did you hear about ASGLMP?” question in our application, however,
indicate that this list is only about half of what has been published on
ASGLMP over the last six months.  Additionally, we have heard that we have
been posted on several web-sites, although we have not yet confirmed this.
 And, finally, it seems that we are being included in a growing number of
reference books concerning both not-for-profit associations and the lesbian &
gay community, but we are not aware of specifics.

If you can provide us, by mail, with hard copies (including publication name,
date and page for our archives), or e-mail us any electronic sightings with
the proper web-address, we would be very much appreciative.  You are part of
our success; do your part in helping us monitor it!

K.  ASGLMP CHARTER MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FORM
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Telephone:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998 Advisory Board?
Where did you hear about ASGLMP?
Other professional membership?
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually? _____
Date: