Subject: ASGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 6 (June 1, 1997)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 12:18:07 -0400 (EDT)

ASGLMP MONTHLY E-MAIL, vol. 1, no. 6 (June 1, 1997)
175 Fifth Avenue, Suite 2172, New York, N.Y.         10010-7703
TELEPHONE: 212-388-0588;  FAX: 212-388-0681;  E-MAIL: [email-masked]

The American Society of Gay & Lesbian Meeting Planners - 411 members

INDEX
A. Editorial: Responsibility, Opportunity
B. Corporate Sponsor Poll Results
C. Names Changes Under Discussion
D. Convention Receptions - Update
E. Dialogue
F. WomenFest Needs Your Support
G. Job Announcement
H. Application
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
A. EDITORIAL: RESPONSIBILITY, OPPORTUNITY by Jim Luce
With growth of the Society so rapid, we are now faced with producing a
‘publication’ that appeals to our initial membership, while serving also both
as an introduction to our newest members - and our potential members.  The
thread that ties this all together is a personal and professional need for
bonding, coupled with the belief that we are a community that needs not only
to be known by peers, but also known by ourselves.  Through ‘strength in
numbers,’ we not only foster our own self-respect, but we demand and achieve
the same respect from our peers commiserate with our own commitment to the
community and dedication to our profession.

In a very short period of time we have become known not just as individuals,
but as an entity.  This is an honor as well as both an awesome responsibly
and an awesome opportunity.  With your increasing support, we will continue
to raise acceptance - not only of lesbian and gays as equal members of the
human family, but simultaneously the public’s acceptance of the
professionalism of the meeting industry.

B. CORPORATE SPONSOR POLL RESULTS by Jeff Tendean
The results are in.  Our Advisory Board has requested that the categories of
potential sponsors be approached in the following order: 1) hotel chains, 2)
airlines, 3) CVB’s, 4) convention centers, 5) car rental companies, 6)
delivery services, 7) computer companies, 8) credit card companies, 9) long
distance companies, 10) software companies, 11) on-line services, 12) banks,
13) office suppliers, 14) theater companies, 15) cellular phone companies,
16) copy centers, and 17) insurance/investment companies.  A second poll will
circulate shortly to the Advisory Board to rank specific companies within
these given categories.

Other categories suggested by our Advisory Board include Exhibit/Booth
Contractors, Destination Management Companies, Attractions (such as Pier 39,
Universal Studios, Walt Disney, etc.), Conference Center Chains, Audio Visual
Companies, Speakers Bureaus, and Auto Manufactures.  Matthew Mueller, Vice
President of the Board of Directors, states: “We are very pleased with the
results of our first Advisory Board Poll.  More than half the Board filled
out and returned a very lengthy survey and we really appreciate the
cooperation and support.”

As we reported last month, the Board of Directors has set the first year’s
budget at $180,000, half of which is to be raised through corporate
sponsorship and half from revenues generated by the directory, set for fall
release.  Long-term planning is to add another component to this mix:
membership dues.  However, both charter membership and associated membership
should continue on a gratis basis through 1998.

Editors' Note: Anyone with specific contacts to any of the companies within
the above mentioned categories should contact Jim Luce directly at
[email-masked].

C. NAMES CHANGES UNDER DISCUSSION by David Riederman, CAE
I would like the Advisory Board to consider changing two parts of the
Association's name as follows: 1, “American” to "International" - since this
is the direction the Association will likely take, it makes good sense to do
it NOW, rather than later.  It is much more inclusive.  We'll have to came up
with a new Iogo, but I see it as a small sacrifice in the scheme of things.
 2, “Planners” to "Professionals" - since we are a diverse society, it makes
good sense to call us what we are - professionals.  We stand a better chance
of increasing our membership base.

Editors’ Note to the Advisory Board: Please respond to these two specific
ideas.  The Board of Directors has discussed them with some enthusiasm.

D.  CONVENTION RECEPTIONS - UPDATE
MPI: Welcoming Reception, Monday, August 4, 7 - 9 pm.  Advisory Board members
Kenneth Hemsley and Donna Jeanette have worked out space at the Baltimore
Convention Center and hosting by the Netherlands Tourism Board respectively.
 We would like to express our deepest thanks to MPI, the Baltimore Convention
Center and the Netherlands Tourism Board.  Please mark your calendars for MPI
and we’ll see you there!

ASAE:  The game plan is to possibly have our Welcoming Reception in Chicago
Sunday or Monday pm, July 27/28.  We need volunteers to assist with working
out space and hosting details.  Advisory Board member R. Russ Ruston of the
American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians has offered to assist with
logistics.  Please contact the National Office or Russ  ([email-masked])
if you have any ideas.

IAEM:  December 3-5 in Atlanta.  No exact time set yet, but Advisory Board
member Steven Hacker, CAE, President, International Association of Exposition
Management has offered to provide space and refreshments to ASGLMP.  Please
mark your calendars for Atlanta!

IGLTA:  Advisory Board member and IGLTA Board member Vincent Grandinetti,
CHSE, Director of Sales, Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau is
working with us to assure ASGLMP representation at the next International Gay
& Lesbian Travel Association convention.

Editors’ Note: what have we missed?  Zap us a line!

E. DIALOGUE
Note: ASGLMP reserves the right to edit all submissions.  All submissions
will be considered for attribution unless a specific request is made for
non-consideration of publication and/or anonymity.

“To the Editors:  I am disappointed that the personal stories have been
deleted.  I found these humorous, touching and insightful... on a par with
any of the anecdotes in Readers Digest.  Did someone feel they were
inappropriate?  Oy vey!  Maybe these can be re-instated.  Thanks for doing a
hell of a job on this project.”  - Ron Oleko, American College of
Rheumatology, Atlanta

“ASGLMP - I received a copy of your newsletter from Andre Valk of Hinton and
Grusich - I am excited to know about your association... would you please
send me membership/ subscription information.  I am a member of MPI (NCCMPI).
 Thanks.”  - David C. Lueck, Special Events Manager, The NAMES Project
Foundation ([email-masked])

“ASGLMP: I am a lesbian in the working world.  I work at Emory University
School of Medicine as a meeting planner.  I am very interested in your
organization; you don't find many, if any, professional organizations for
gays and lesbians.  Please send me any information you have available.  I am
out at work and my colleagues don't seem to have a problem with it.”  - Regina
 Robuck

“All - Thanks for the recommendation about the play Men on the Verge of A
Hispanic Breakdown.  I spent last week in NYC and went to see it on your
suggestion and we LOVED it!”  - name lost due to technical complications...

“Hello.  Thanks for the newsletter... this was a great idea you guys had...
Please let me know what I may do to assist you with the ASAE reception in
Chicago in July... am ready and willing to help... Also I applaud your
efforts to establish a sense of responsibility and integrity in regards to
the monthly publication... we are often prone to exaggerated sensitivity and
the development of guidelines early in the game shows good professional
commitment and intention.  Again, let me know if there is any thing I may do
to help!  I am planning on doing PCMA in June and Baltimore in August so
"holler" if you need!”  - R. Russ Ruston, American College of Osteopathic
Family Physicians

“Dear Mr. Luce:  I read with interest that ASGLMP is interested in
identifying gay-friendly suppliers.  Our company, FlightTime, is an
international air charter service providing meeting planners, incentive
groups and corporations with charter air transportation all over the world.
 Not only are we America's largest and best-known air charter service, but
we're also gay-owned (and very gay-friendly), members of IGTA, SITE and MPI.
 We're interested in earning the lavender seal of approval.  Can you kindly
advise what information and references are required to do so?  Thanks for
your help in this matter.  We look forward to providing your membership with
professional, high-quality air charter services.  Best regards.”  - Jane
McBride, CEO, Flight Time International

“I recently read about your organization in Successful Meetings and was
hoping you could send me some membership information.  One of the many hats I
wear here at the U.S. Department of Commerce is that of a meeting planner.
 While the government has many regulations as to where a meeting can be held,
a gay friendly establishment is not one of them, YET!  However, it  would
still be nice from my prospective knowing that those that I do business with
respect the Department's non-discrimination policy on the basis of sexual
orientation.”  - Bob Van Eimeren ([email-masked])

“Hello.  I read about your new association in the March '97 issue of Meetings
& Conventions magazine.  I'm very interested in obtaining a copy of your
directory in which qualified suppliers will have a lavender seal of approval.
 I handle meeting logistics for the Law School Admission Council, the
organization that administers the Law School Admission Test and provides
other services to law schools and law school candidates.  Our Board,
committees, subcommittees and work groups have 50 meetings total per year.
 One group that meets a couple of times per year is the Gay and Lesbian Work
Group, which discusses issues critical to gay, lesbian, and bisexual law
school applicants, candidates, and students.  We would indeed like to place
that meeting at a gay-friendly hotel, so I would put your directory to good
use.”  - Carol McHale

“Jim, Jeff, et el - Thanks for everything you guys are doing!”  - Sheri
Scavo, Meeting Planner, Association of Legal Administrators

“ASGLMP: I am thrilled to be a Charter Member; please do list me in your
directory.  Any chance of a Washington, D.C. Chapter?  Since this is a city
full of planners, I would assume that your membership includes many D.C.
metro people.  Marc Goldman suggested in the last Monthly E-Mail that other
professions be included in the membership.  I agree with him and want him to
know that Center Stage Productions falls under the areas of not only Business
Meeting Production but Entertainment (we have a whole department dedicated),
Speakers, Video Production and Fund Raising Events. (Just a little
advertisement!)  Thanks for listening and keep up the good work.”  - Susan
Gibbs, CMP Account Executive, Center Stage Productions (www.censtage.com)

“To Whom It May Concern: I am currently taking a class on meeting planners.
 I am very interested in any information available on the American Society of
Gay & Lesbian Meeting Planners.  I hope to present a report on your
association.  Please advise how I might obtain information on the formation
of your organization and how you will provide services to your prospective
clients.  Thanking you in advance.”  - Patti Andrews
([email-masked])

“Dear Jim & Jeff: I have an article idea: as you know, there are several
associations (and for-profits, too, I imagine) that have gay/lesbian caucuses
in their ranks.  For example, the American Booksellers Association has a
gay/lesbian aisle at their trade show and an awards ceremony (called the
lammies) honoring authors/illustrators for their work in all lesbian genres.
 The American Library Association has taken a strong stand in the past about
gay/lesbian issues in cities where it holds its conferences.  In fact, it
pulled out of Cincinnati for its winter conference once.  The May 15 issue of
the newsletter was good and I like the direction you are taking.  Keep up the
good work!”  - David Riederman, CAE

Editors’ Note: Readers - any volunteers for research and an article?

Dear Jim:  We have recently started a very special component to our service.
 We have assembled a small group of personalities who will speak on Gay and
Lesbian issues.  Some of the folks with whom we have worked are: Amanda
Bearse, Harvey Fierstein, Mitchell Anderson, Mr. Blackwell, and Dan Butler -
lots of fun.  Looking forward to being of assistance wherever possible.  - Mar
c Goldman, Hollywood, CA ([email-masked]; www.primenet .com/-dba)

F. WOMENFEST ‘97 NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT by Jacqueline Harrington
Thanks so much for your interest in WomenFest '97.  The event begins on
Wednesday, September 3rd and runs thru the 9th.  Last year 5,200 women
attended, this year over 7,000 are expected.  American Airlines has sponsored
WomenFest from the beginning and is under attack from the Religious Right for
doing so.  Please fly American if you can.  

The newest WF brochure will be ready in June.  Please send a SASE to:
WomenFest, 201 Coppitt Road #106-A, Key West, FL  33040.  For the American
Airlines Starfile # for your WomenFest Discount and recommendations for guest
houses, resorts and hotels, please contact me at [email-masked].

G. JOB ANNOUNCEMENT by Jim Morgan
We're a mid-sized independent meeting planning firm in Annapolis, MD.
 Currently we have two positions open:
Conference Administrator: a conscientious, detail-oriented, energetic,
organized individual able to work under pressures and multi-task.  Must be
computer literate and familiar with Internet communications. 

Bookkeeper: energetic bookkeeper with explicit knowledge of bookkeeping and
accounting principles.  Working knowledge of computers, electronic
spreadsheets and word processing.  Ability to multi-task, set and meet
deadlines.  Team player. Attention to detail. 

If you need more information, please contact Jim Morgan via e-mail:
[email-masked], or telephone: 410-216-7029.

H. ASGLMP APPLICATION FORM
Individual Charter Membership (Meeting Planner)   _____
Individual Charter Associate Membership (Non-Meeting Planner) _____
(check one)
If meeting planner, how many room/nights do you coordinate annually? _____
Name:
Title:
Company:
Address:
Telephone:
Fax:
E-Mail:
Do you wish to be listed publicly?
Would you like to be considered for 1998 Advisory Board?
Where did you hear about ASGLMP?
Other professional membership?
Date: